Sox @ Orioles Gamethread, 4/23 6:05 CDT (Nova vs. Cashner)

Greg Hibbard

56 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You forgot Herrera, Colome, and McCann. 3/7 so far in dumpster diving. 

$40+ million plus 2 prospects and a young catcher is not dumpster-diving. That's serious spending for players  who should be productive.  6/7 would be a reasonable expectation.

The only one in the dumpster is Hahn.

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would like to thank them for having Yoan and Timmy batting consecutively.  Was able to watch other programming instead of seeing the other 7 hitters bat from the 5th inning on.

Haha. I thought I was the only one. I mostly did that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would like to thank them for having Yoan and Timmy batting consecutively.  Was able to watch other programming instead of seeing the other 7 hitters bat from the 5th inning on.

A very reasonable attempt to save your sanity.

15 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Yes, cuz they are identical players.

Do you ever get tired from carrying around Hahn’s Jock?  😂

The Heyward contract prevented the Cubs from signing Harper this offseason. The Machado contract would have a similar effect on the Sox when their contention window opens imo. Why pay for Machado’s “prime” seasons when the team isn’t contending anyway? What matters is how he produces in 2021-2026, which I believe to be the Sox window. And I have a sneaky suspicion his contract will be deemed a liability by then much like Heyward’s has been the last couple years.

Do you ever get tired of complaining about the team you supposedly are a fan of?

46 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The relievers have a high probability of turning into prospects via trades. Machado is going to turn into an eyesore of a contract within a few years. Which option better serves the rebuild?

We got a soothsayer over here. Send me the World Series matchup now so I can win some big $ please. 

7 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

$40+ million plus 2 prospects and a young catcher is not dumpster-diving. That's serious spending for players  who should be productive.  6/7 would be a reasonable expectation.

The only one in the dumpster is Hahn.

The Sox have the 6th lowest payroll in MLB. They are the exact opposite of serious spenders right now.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So people can label him a future first ballot HOF but I can’t predict he’s going to underwhelm his $300M expectations? Got it.

You didn't say he was gonna just underwhelm. You said he was going to turn into an albatross like it was 100 percent certain to happen. 

Again, let's hear your World Series prediction if you got everything all figured out. 

• Like 1

The Twins are ahead of us in this division by 5 games, the Indians are only a few games ahead of us, and here we are monkeyin around with the Orioles, when we should be sweeping and gaining ground. Hope we can win the rubber match of this series.

• Like 1

Just now, poppysox said:

I hope we don't see this lineup again.  Some teams believe in stacking the best hitters this way but it leads to solo Home Runs and multiple innings of nothing.

I like Yoan and Timmy batting consecutively, but don't like it with Engel batting 9th.  The Sox really have to stop trying to make this whole "Engel is a major leaguer" thing happen.  If you would have told me there was a thread about him with over 80 posts, I would have guessed he either failed a PEDS test or wrote an article for the Players Tribune that he's legally blind.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The Sox have the 6th lowest payroll in MLB. They are the exact opposite of serious spenders right now.

So how do you think the Sox did on their ~$45 million in spending this past offseason?

Herrera ($9 million)

Nova ($9 million)

Alonso ($9 million)

Colome ($7.325 million)

Santana ($4.3 million)

Jay ($4 million)

McCann ($2.5 million)

Just now, Chisox378 said:

The Twins are ahead of us in this division by 5 games, the Indians are only a few games ahead of us, and here we are monkeyin around with the Orioles, when we should be sweeping and gaining ground. Hope we can win the rubber match of this series.

Twins and Indians are trying to win.  The White Sox are just biding time this season and have no interest in competing.  Wins and losses just aren't important.

• Like 1

Just now, OneDog847 said:

You didn't say he was gonna just underwhelm. You said he was going to turn into an albatross like it was 100 percent certain to happen. 

Again, let's hear your World Series prediction if you got everything all figured out. 

Yes, I am confident he will turn into one of the worst contracts in MLB in a few years. Many here are confident he is a first ballot HOF. What makes my prediction outlandish but the others not?

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

So how do you think the Sox did on their ~$45 million in spending this past offseason?

Herrera ($9 million)

Nova ($9 million)

Alonso ($9 million)

Colome ($7.325 million)

Santana ($4.3 million)

Jay ($4 million)

McCann ($2.5 million)

The Sox have the 6th lowest payroll in baseball. Using wins as a measure of team performance, I expect them to perform in line with that mark (6th fewest wins in MLB). I’m generally optimistic but I had them at 70-92 this year. If the Sox are still playing sub .500 ball in 2021, I’ll be right in line with you raising the pitchforks to fire Hahn. Until then, I reserve judgement and remain optimistic by the development that the young core has already taken so far this year.

• Like 1