Sox @ Orioles Gamethread, 4/23 6:05 CDT (Nova vs. Cashner)

Greg Hibbard

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yes, I am confident he will turn into one of the worst contracts in MLB in a few years. Many here are confident he is a first ballot HOF. What makes my prediction outlandish but the others not?

Didn't you also think the Sox were the frontrunners to sign Harper this past offseason?  Would he have also been a waste of $300+ million?

1 minute ago, Chisox378 said:

If they are not even trying to win I'd stop watching untill they start trying to win. 

I'm sure they are trying but they won't be successful the majority of the time.  As long as you aren't worried about wins and losses, you will have a good time watching the youth develop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chisox378 said:

Even if we were out of contention, I'd expect an attitude of trying to win.

Define that.  They're trying but half the team is temporary bums.  They're out there so we literally can field a team.  The young stars are the focus but they can't win it alone.

Edited by Eloy Jiménez
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yes, I am confident he will turn into one of the worst contracts in MLB in a few years. Many here are confident he is a first ballot HOF. What makes my prediction outlandish but the others not?

Not much, just that every single statistic and scout point towards continued success for a guy that will be 28 when our window opens.

2 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Even if we were out of contention, I'd expect an attitude of trying to win.

Hahn is likely drooling about his prospects at another top 5 draft pick.  What else can he get excited about when his boss won't let him spend like the big boys?

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Track record?

13 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Didn't you also think the Sox were the frontrunners to sign Harper this past offseason?  Would he have also been a waste of $300+ million?

I did up until the Phillies didn’t sign Machado (or stopped pursuing him). Then the writing was on the wall.

And no, I believe Harper will age much much better than Machado (esp as an AL player) and be far more productive in the 2021-2026 seasons. Plus, he’s cheaper AAV and far more marketable than Machado. I absolutely wanted the Sox to sign Harper, which makes me despise their pursuit of Machado even more.

I’ve said all along that missing on Machado was a blessing in disguise but missing on Harper was a blown opportunity.

18 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Track record?

That’s actually one of the main reasons I think he’s going to fall off. I don’t believe he was clean in Baltimore (along with Davis, Castillo, and several others). Now he got his money so need to risk suspension by getting back on it. I also don’t think his profile, which relies heavily on his defense, will age well. Career 120 wRC+ is good but it’s not $300M ($30M AAV) good if the defense slips at all.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s actually one of the main reasons I think he’s going to fall off. I don’t believe he was clean in Baltimore (along with Davis, Castillo, and several others). Now he got his money so need to risk suspension by getting back on it. I also don’t think his profile, which relies heavily on his defense, will age well. Career 120 wRC+ is good but it’s not $300M ($30M AAV) good if the defense slips at all.

Hypothetical guessing on roids is your first stated reasoning, lol.  What about Harper then?!?

8 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Hypothetical guessing on roids is your first stated reasoning, lol.  What about Harper then?!?

Bryce Harper has been a beast of a hitter dropping bombs since he was 16. Unless he was juicing at 15/16 (which I guess is possible?), he’s been an outstanding hitter his entire life. Take a look at their minor league power numbers and first MLB season home run totals and let me know which set of numbers look suspicious after that.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The Sox have the 6th lowest payroll in MLB. They are the exact opposite of serious spenders right now.

On the roster as a whole, yes.  But those specific players make serious money and some cost prospects and a young player.   Those specific players are expected to produce.  With the young guys, it's different.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Bryce Harper has been a beast of a hitter dropping bombs since he was 16. Unless he was juicing at 15/16 (which I guess is possible?), he’s been an outstanding hitter his entire life. Take a look at their minor league power numbers and first MLB season home run totals and let me know which set of numbers look suspicious after that.

I don’t think either are suspicious.  You are just showing 💩 at the wall right now to minimize Machado’s talents.

Just now, GreenSox said:

On the roster as a whole, yes.  But those specific players make serious money and some cost prospects and a young player.   Those specific players are expected to produce.  With the young guys, it's different.

You can’t just look at one piece of the roster and not the rest. If those veterans were playing well but the young guys like TA and Moncada weren’t, I’d bet people would be blasting Hahn.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You can’t just look at one piece of the roster and not the rest. If those veterans were playing well but the young guys like TA and Moncada weren’t, I’d bet people would be blasting Hahn.

But this is not the case.  And other than the two relievers Hahn acquired, the position players he added were never good.  They are mediocre veterans.  Much younger and talented players outperforming these overpaid bums shouldn’t be a surprise.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I don’t think either are suspicious.  You are just showing 💩 at the wall right now to minimize Machado’s talents.

Your opinion and I have mine. I’ve been consistent on my feelings regarding Manny for over a year. My feelings about him didn’t form just because he signed elsewhere. I was arguing with Sox fans last December about why I felt he would be a bad signing when they emerged as a top contender to land him.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Veterans playing well under Hahn?  Yeah not gonna happen and that’s the problem.

6 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

But this is not the case.  And other than the two relievers Hahn acquired, the position players he added were never good.  They are mediocre veteran.  Much younger, talented players outperforming these bums shouldn’t be a surprise.

Really? Because as recently as late last season and this spring some people were labeling Moncada and TA busts.  

Who the F cares about these expiring vet contracts anyway? You’re the one making a big deal about it. They’re making average money as veteran players on the 6th lowest team payroll in MLB. The only ones that had/have the ability to bring back good prospects are the two relievers. And no, the money spent on these guys did not result in missing on machado or Harper. Jerry was never going to authorize a $300M contract regardless of Alonso, Nova, etc being under contract this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Really? Because as recently as late last season and this spring some people were labeling Moncada and TA busts.  

Who the F cares about these expiring vet contracts anyway? You’re the one making a big deal about it. They’re making average money as veteran players on the 6th lowest team payroll in MLB. The only ones that had/have the ability to bring back good prospects are the two relievers. And no, the money spent on these guys did not result in missing on machado or Harper. Jerry was never going to authorize a $300M contract regardless of Alonso, Nova, etc being under contract this year.

Yeah, I guess I’m wrong.  Who cares if our GM throws away $25 to $30 million each offseason.  Doesn’t matter.