Covey to Rotation (for Rodon)

ChiSox59

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Assuming hes waiting for after the draft, anyone open to a Keuchel signing? This team (going forward) needs someone who can pitch consistently.

If he's still available after the draft I think they' should sign him. 

14 hours ago, Sox80 said:

yes it should have been done a while ago. I was only responding to you saying what other options do the Sox have. I thought that would be a good one that's all.

I concur. Been saying the same shit for years. If only uncle jerry would realize this would have saved him and made a lot money....

• Thanks 1

I had the sound off on the game yesterday and saw Covey was warming up in the bottom of the 8th and I thought "good god not in a one run game"...but then I realized that the other guy warming up was Fulmer and I thought "good god not in a one run game"

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Assuming hes waiting for after the draft, anyone open to a Keuchel signing? This team (going forward) needs someone who can pitch consistently.

Meh.  I'd rather wait for the offseason and sign someone better.

Say the Sox somehow are .500 come June 4th, the day after the draft.  They offer Keuchel 3 years and $45M and he takes it.  He's still not going to be ready to pitch until probably early July.  He also isn't that good.  And there are probably at least a handful of other teams that will be after him as well.  I just don't see everything that will need to align aligning for him to sign with the Sox.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Say the Sox somehow are .500 come June 4th, the day after the draft.  They offer Keuchel 3 years and $45M and he takes it.  He's still not going to be ready to pitch until probably early July.  He also isn't that good.  And there are probably at least a handful of other teams that will be after him as well.  I just don't see everything that will need to align aligning for him to sign with the Sox.  

It was more of a "he's out there now, no one else is guaranteed to be there next off-season (I'll bet on Cole extending with Houston or signing with the Yankees in the off-season)" kind of an idea. Not about this season.

But yeah, he'll probably sign with a team trying to win this year.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'm not sure this person exists. Out of next year's FA starting pitchers, Cole outpitched Keuchel solidly in 2018, but Keuchel was substantially better than Cole in 2016 and 2017. If Keuchel was amongst the names for this offseason, we'd be saying "Yeah Cole looks better, but who's the #2 starter out there, Bumgarner or Keuchel" and I'm not sure who the answer is. After that, you've got Zack Wheeler, Cole Hamels, and Rick Porcello.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure this person exists. Out of next year's FA starting pitchers, Cole outpitched Keuchel solidly in 2018, but Keuchel was substantially better than Cole in 2016 and 2017. If Keuchel was amongst the names for this offseason, we'd be saying "Yeah Cole looks better, but who's the #2 starter out there, Bumgarner or Keuchel" and I'm not sure who the answer is. After that, you've got Zack Wheeler, Cole Hamels, and Rick Porcello.

Conveniently ignores age and velo drops. Cole is a thousand times more attractive of an acquisition.  

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I suppose.  Kuechel just scares me.  He'll be 32 next season and wasn't that great in 2018.  I'm not completely opposed to it if you can get him a 3 year deal for $15M AAV or less.  I just don't think he's going to be anything more than a solid mid rotation guy moving forward, and I think the chances of him being a below average SP by the time 2021 rolls around is better than a coin flip. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, mqr said:

Conveniently ignores age and velo drops. Cole is a thousand times more attractive of an acquisition.  

Then say "I'd rather wait for the offseason and sign Cole", not "Sign someone better" because there's literally 1 person who seems like a solid candidate to meet that standard, and you're going to have to pay for the best FA pitcher on the market/a Boras Client, so let's be honest about the challenge here. "I'd rather wait for the offseason and sign Cole to a 7 year/$180 million deal" would be a much more fair way to put it

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Then say "I'd rather wait for the offseason and sign Cole", not "Sign someone better" because there's literally 1 person who seems like a solid candidate to meet that standard, and you're going to have to pay for the best FA pitcher on the market/a Boras Client, so let's be honest about the challenge here. "I'd rather wait for the offseason and sign Cole to a 7 year/$180 million deal" would be a much more fair way to put it

JFC.  Sorry I didn't run my post on a message board through my copy editor first.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I suppose.  Kuechel just scares me.  He'll be 32 next season and wasn't that great in 2018.  I'm not completely opposed to it if you can get him a 3 year deal for $15M AAV or less.  I just don't think he's going to be anything more than a solid mid rotation guy moving forward, and I think the chances of him being an average SP by the time 2021 rolls around is better than a coin flip. 

I get all of that.

But seriously, unless you are willing to go to the ceiling, sign a Boras client for HUGE money, as the only strong pitcher on the FA market, in a year where the Yankees will have money to spend and need of starting pitching...you can't just say "Sign someone better on the FA market". That person doesn't exist other than Cole. 

If you miss out on Cole, are you prepared to trade one of our top 5 prospects for someone?

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

JFC.  Sorry I didn't run my post on a message board through my copy editor first.  

Dude this isn't bleeping copy editing this is basic knowledge of baseball's free agent market. If I said I'd rather not sign Keuchel as I want to save my money to go after Mike Trout this offseason, there are a few problems with that statement that I expect people would point out.

Are you prepped to drop a contract on Cole that dramatically beats what Corbin got this offseason or not?

They will probably tread in the Rourk, Wood, etc. waters.

Jake Odorizzi may be a decent 4-5 signing. He changed his profile this year to be more Four Seam/ Cutter/ Curve which is in line with sox flow. His cutter is a really good pitch.

Ugh, this is what I'm excited about. Jake Odorizzi.

Dude this isn't bleeping copy editing this is basic knowledge of baseball's free agent market. If I said I'd rather not sign Keuchel as I want to save my money to go after Mike Trout this offseason, there are a few problems with that statement that I expect people would point out.

Are you prepped to drop a contract on Cole that dramatically beats what Corbin got this offseason or not?

I mean....I am. Unfortunately I’m not the one writing the checks. 

I get all of that.

But seriously, unless you are willing to go to the ceiling, sign a Boras client for HUGE money, as the only strong pitcher on the FA market, in a year where the Yankees will have money to spend and need of starting pitching...you can't just say "Sign someone better on the FA market". That person doesn't exist other than Cole. 

If you miss out on Cole, are you prepared to trade one of our top 5 prospects for someone?

I would prefer Porcello, Bumgarner and Wheeler to Keuchel personally.  I would also prefer spending less and going after guys like Wood or Gibson over signing a decling Keuchel (depending on dollars).  It all comes down to years of commitment and dollars when dealing with SP in their 30s.  

I think we all can agree that the Sox are going to need to supplement their rotation via FA this offseason.  Keuchel is an option, just not my favorite option. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would prefer Porcello, Bumgarner and Wheeler to Keuchel personally.  I would also prefer spending less and going after guys like Wood or Gibson over signing a decling Keuchel (depending on dollars).  It all comes down to years of commitment and dollars when dealing with SP in their 30s.  

I think we all can agree that the Sox are going to need to supplement their rotation via FA this offseason.  Keuchel is an option, just not my favorite option. 

I would also expect that the White Sox have to sign someone from that group barring a dramatic improvement from someone currently stashed at AAA, and the appropriate reaction to any of them seems like something between a disappointed sigh and a here we go again.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

They will probably tread in the Rourk, Wood, etc. waters.

Jake Odorizzi may be a decent 4-5 signing. He changed his profile this year to be more Four Seam/ Cutter/ Curve which is in line with sox flow. His cutter is a really good pitch.

Ugh, this is what I'm excited about. Jake Odorizzi.

I’d be pretty happy with Roark or Wood

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I have a far greater than basic knowledge of baseball's free agent market.  I said I would prefer to wait and sign someone better than Keuchel.  I think there are several pitchers who are better options for the White Sox than Keuchel who are free agents next season.  Apparently you think Keuchel is the clear cut #2 option.  This has nothing to do with knowledge of the markets and everything to do with how we value a particular player.  It is a matter of opinion.  Get over yourself.  

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I’d be pretty happy with Roark or Wood

They could basically try to put together a brewers type rotation of solid top to bottom, hope kopech/cease are better than solid, and have legit depth (6-7 deep). Wood/Odorizzi/Roark would be around that though roark may be cooked.

Or they'll sign madbum. They seem to love sinker ballers.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have a far greater than basic knowledge of baseball's free agent market.  I said I would prefer to wait and sign someone better than Keuchel.  I think there are several pitchers who are better options for the White Sox than Keuchel who are free agents next season.  Apparently you think Keuchel is the clear cut #2 option.  This has nothing to do with knowledge of the markets and everything to do with how we value a particular player.  It is a matter of opinion.  Get over yourself.  

I think the idea that there's anyone other than Cole who is clear-cut better than Keuchel is wrong. Literally a few posts above you can see people worried about a Keuchel velocity drop - his fastball was 90.5 in his Cy Young year, 90.2 last year, and 89.3 in 2016 for his lowest. Then you added Porcello and Bumgarner as people you'd prefer - Both of them have comparable velocity drops to Keuchel, 93 to 91.5 for Bumgarner and 92.7 to 91.7 for Porcello and I didn't bother looking at the rest. 

So, the chances of any of these guys being a better than average starter in 2021...seems like a coin flip as well. All of these guys should scare you. Out of Wheeler, Keuchel, Porcello, and Bumgarner, I'd say there's a good chance 1 of them, maybe 2, will be guys a team is happy with in 2021. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

They could basically try to put together a brewers type rotation of solid top to bottom, hope kopech/cease are better than solid, and have legit depth (6-7 deep). Wood/Odorizzi/Roark would be around that though roark may be cooked.

Or they'll sign madbum. They seem to love sinker ballers.

That's what I was thinking. Put together a rotation that's solid but not by any means great and hope the lineup will win you games.

Gah, if you would have told me 2 years ago it would be the pitching staff that's the problem I would have said 'well, that's not good'

OT: Other than Yelich, the brewers success is pretty baffling.