ABREU'S FUTURE WITH SOX

poppysox

I'm 50-50 on what should be in Abreu's future.  Extend him and decide he is part of the championship run or trade him.  In addition to on the field accomplishments he appears to be a mentor to the young guys.  Some would say face of the Sox.  The trade him while value is high crowd have an excellent point.  We've all seen players go from high trade value to worth nothing almost over night.  What ever happens...Abreu is doing his part to drive up his value to our organization and other teams.  

27 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

How about both.  Trade him to a contender and sign him to a contract in the offseason a la the the Yankees and Chapman. As an extra bonus he could get valuable playoff experience which nobody on the Sox currently has. 

All options are on the table.

1 hour ago, HoosierSox said:

How about both.  Trade him to a contender and sign him to a contract in the offseason a la the the Yankees and Chapman. As an extra bonus he could get valuable playoff experience which nobody on the Sox currently has. 

There is zero question in my head, trade him and if you want to resign him, I am personally sick about him being a great influence to the young guys they are not children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One factor is the position itself.  Fans have thrown around Eloy and Collins as possible IB candidates in the near future. If Hahn is thinking that,  then an Abreu extension could block that.I think Hahn has to make a decision as to where he sees Eloy and Collins first and then make a decision on Abreu.   He is having a good year so maybe now is the time to get something of value in return. 

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

One factor is the position itself.  Fans have thrown around Eloy and Collins as possible IB candidates in the near future. If Hahn is thinking that,  then an Abreu extension could block that.I think Hahn has to make a decision as to where he sees Eloy and Collins first and then make a decision on Abreu.   He is having a good year so maybe now is the time to get something of value in return. 

I don’t feel like Collins is good enough to impact future decisions. Does anyone really think he’s going to be able to hit over .220 in the majors?  He will get his walks of course and should have solid power numbers, but we’re talking about a platoon 1b that we have no idea how his defense will be.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

It would be negligent not to explore a trade of Abreu, It doesn't matter if we like him or not. He is going to be a free agent and you trade  those players every time. If you want him back resign him. But please go after a starting pitcher and Rendon before anyone else. The rest can wait. 1st base can wait not only do we have plenty of 1st base candidates but we might be adding another one in the draft with our 1st round pick. ( I really hope we don't).

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t feel like Collins is good enough to impact future decisions. Does anyone really think he’s going to be able to hit over .220 in the majors?  He will get his walks of course and should have solid power numbers, but we’re talking about a platoon 1b that we have no idea how his defense will be.  

He probably isn't and Hahn doesn't have to make any decision on them regarding 1st base and Abreu. It really should be the last position on the team that  requires much planning. There are always large human baseball players around to man that position.

I’m only trading Abreu if I can get something impactful for him.  If not, I’d rather not trade him to contender and realize what a postseason run feels like.  We may actually need him around for the couple years and I think keeping him makes it easier to retain him.

Also. I don’t think Eloy has the physical traits to play 1B.  To me either he makes it in LF or he’s a DH.  My guess is he’s playable enough out in LF for a several years (I think he’s better than he’s shown this year) before moving to DH in his late 20’s.

As for Collins, we need to decide pretty quickly whether or not we think he can fit at catcher long-term.  If not, get him up here in a few weeks, play him at 1B,  and see how the bat looks against major league pitching.  I’m still cautiously optimistic with him, but like fathom said I’m not making any long-term decision-making based on him at the moment.  Would be great to use a lost season to get some more intel on him.

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Let's get Collins up here and see what he can do. Let him get another 50 or so at bats in AAA to clear his cobwebs and then bring him up. Hahn and Hostetler can't hid him in the minors forever. 

• Like 1

There is also zero question in my head. Keep him. Don't trade him; and resign him. Why do people not appreciate Abreu? He's a great bat and clubhouse leader. Did anybody read the article that was posted on here  last week and 2016 about Adam Eaton and Frazier, LaRouche and all that drama. A quality clubhouse matters. Guys like Abreu keep that stuff away. 

Plus he is our best player: an all-star last year and I pointed this out before: MLB.com listed the 100 best players in baseball and Abreu was the only White Sox listed. He is our best player. 

Why is it that people don't want to start winning sooner rather than later? Here's a crazy idea: you win with good players, not prospects in the minors who may or may not make it to the majors in three or four years. Can we stop all this flipping our good players for prospects BS. Also, don't trade Colome either. He's 9 for 9 in saves. Once again, why would we want to trade that, again, for a prospect who might or might not make it to the majors in two or three years?

The Soria trade worked out so well. Medieros is NEVER going to see a minute in the majors; he stinks. Trading Soria cost the Sox at least three wins last year. I know that's only a few more wins, but again, I like it when the Sox win; don't like it when they lose. Losing 97 games last year would have been a ton better than losing 100, losing 100.  Now some people say, but Soria was going to be a free agent. Yes, he was. Like we should do with Abreu, the Sox should have then have resigned Soria. Just pay him the money. Would you rather have Soria or Herrera in the bullpen right now? 

Edited by vilehoopster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

There is also zero question in my head. Keep him. Don't trade him; and resign him. Why do people not appreciate Abreu? He's a great bat and clubhouse leader. Did anybody read the article that was posted on here  last week and 2016 about Adam Eaton and Frazier, LaRouche and all that drama. A quality clubhouse matters. Guys like Abreu keep that stuff away. 

Plus he is our best player: an all-star last year and I pointed this out before: MLB.com listed the 100 best players in baseball and Abreu was the only White Sox listed. He is our best player. 

Why is it that people don't want to start winning sooner rather than later? Here's a crazy idea: you win with good players, not prospects in the minors who may or may not make it to the majors in three or four years. Can we stop all this flipping our good players for prospects BS. Also, don't trade Colome either. He's 9 for 9 in saves. Once again, why would we want to trade that, again, for a prospect who might or might not make it to the majors in two or three years?

The Soria trade worked out so well. Medieros is NEVER going to see a minute in the majors; he stinks. Trading Soria cost the Sox at least three wins last year. I know that's only a few more wins, but again, I like it when the Sox win; don't like it when they lose. Losing 97 games last year would have been a ton better than losing 100, losing 100.  Now some people say, but Soria was going to be a free agent. Yes, he was. Like we should do with Abreu, the Sox should have then have resigned Soria. Just pay him the money. Would you rather have Soria or Herrera in the bullpen right now? 

Abreu  will be a free agent he has said he likes it here, if you can get players that can help your team do it and you can always resign him back.

Any player is subject to trade analysis but the problem with trading Abreu is the likely return.  Noncontenders won't be interested and there are is too limited a number of 1B-challenged contenders to create any kind of bidding. My sense is the best way to unlock Jose' trade value is in combination with Colome. Maybe a team like the Red Sox or our favorite trading partner, Milwaukee would have interest. Bryce Turang would be an interesting target from Brewers. Tristan Casas a nice target from Red Sox.

"I'll pack his bags and drive him to the airport" Are you the guy that said this about Avi Garcia when I posted my desire to keep Avi too. Avi who we could have kept for 2/3 of what we're paying Yonder Alonso? Avi with his .285 average, 9 homeruns, and his .854 OPS? Whoever said that about Avi, not looking too smart right now.

Can we also stop with the trade him for prospect and then resign him as a free agent next year? Come on! He is happy here. If the front office devalues him and trades him, that will completely change his attitude towards the Sox and their front office. If you were Abreau, and got traded from a team and players you really like and saw as a home, repeatedly said you want to finish out your career with the Sox, but then got shuffled off like that, would you want to return to that club after the insult of being traded? Of course not. I wouldn't even think about returning to the Sox if they did that to me. I know Chapman did it, but it was returning to the Yankees and Chapman is a mercenary with no loyalty, just chasing bucks. I don't think Abreu is like that.

24 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I think you are going to get your wish. The Sox ain't trading Abreu. They didn't trade him when they unloaded everyone else in the firesale a few years back. He has been a loyal soldier and JR will reward him for that. I'm thinking he gets a 3 year extension announced after the mlb draft. 

It's called a rebuild and rebuild don't happen overnight especially when you have an owner who is cheap. Houston had 5 terrible seasons in a row, Minnesota started their rebuild in 2011. We are still a good 2-3 years away from seeing a competitive team on the South Side. Just embrace the tank. It doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon.  

"Milwaukee would have interest. Bryce Turang would be an interesting target from Brewers. Tristan Casas a nice target from Red Sox."

So you want to trade our best player and a 9 for 9 guy in saves for a prospect, who may or may not make it to the majors? I'm am sorry.

I absolutely don't get this logic. And don't tell me these guys are can't miss. One name: Blake Rutherford.

Edited by vilehoopster

I'd try to get either trade partner to sweeten the deal but I WOULD trade Abreu and Colome for Turang plus a top 10-12 Brewer prospect. Abreu and Colome combined would be too rich for just Casas but I'd send them Colome for Casas in a heartbeat.

10 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Can we also stop with the trade him for prospect and then resign him as a free agent next year? Come on! He is happy here. If the front office devalues him and trades him, that will completely change his attitude towards the Sox and their front office. If you were Abreau, and got traded from a team and players you really like and saw as a home, repeatedly said you want to finish out your career with the Sox, but then got shuffled off like that, would you want to return to that club after the insult of being traded? Of course not. I wouldn't even think about returning to the Sox if they did that to me. I know Chapman did it, but it was returning to the Yankees and Chapman is a mercenary with no loyalty, just chasing bucks. I don't think Abreu is like that.

He has been losing every year here they would give him the opportunity to win with a team that has chance, and I would be thankful to them, that's me.

9 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

"Milwaukee would have interest. Bryce Turang would be an interesting target from Brewers. Tristan Casas a nice target from Red Sox."

So you want to trade our best player and a 9 for 9 guy in saves for a prospect, who may or may not make it to the majors? I'm am sorry.

I absolutely don't get this logic. And don't tell me these guys are can't miss. One name: Blake Rutherford.

It would not surprise me if both Abreu and Colome were traded for prospects. The payroll will keep getting smaller and JR and his investors will make more money.

"He has been losing every year here they would give him the opportunity to win with a team that has chance, and I would be thankful to them, that's me."

But my point was, if that was you (and you're Abreu) and you were now with a winning team, would you resign with the White Sox??  I'm guessing no if that's your logic. 

21 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I looked him up. Turang isn't even a top-100 prospect. And he's a short stop. Is he gonna move Tim Anderson out in a year or two?

You guys kill me. 

If you had to look him up you don't follow MiLB very closely. Nonetheless, my point is the WS cannot draft and develop their way to contention. They will need to augment the draft through smart trades and FA acquisitions. BTW, the only reason Hahn traded for Colome (and Herrera) was to flip them at the trade deadline. Unfortunately, Herrera's performance doesn't warrant trade value but Colome is as good as gone.