Winner, winner

bmags

13 hours ago, wegner said:

Let's get to .500 before any talk of how much we are out of a wild card spot 

I just looked it up. We've had the softest strength of schedule in baseball so far. It's probably not gonna get any easier from here on out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I just looked it up. We've had the softest strength of schedule in baseball so far. It's probably not gonna get any easier from here on out. 

We are in the weakest division in baseball so maybe they will be able to be at .500 by the end of the season.  However, that will be awfully tough if the Twins continue to feast on us like they did last weekend.

43 minutes ago, wegner said:

We are in the weakest division in baseball so maybe they will be able to be at .500 by the end of the season.  However, that will be awfully tough if the Twins continue to feast on us like they did last weekend.

Look at the June schedule. the sox only have 4 games against a team with a losing record, 4 against the Nationals who aren't that bad. Every other game is against teams with winning records, Yankmees, Boston, Texas, Tampa, minnesota.

It will be a long month.

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

whatever he was told should have included "hey moron, have someone warming up".  That's the real rub with the situation last night.

No. Maybe the FO has told RR that he should leave in Gio, Lopez and maybe even Covey as Taylor said.  Then again, maybe the FO lets RR make his own decisions on a game to game basis and I agree he should have pulled him sooner.  Everyone assume the managers makes these decisions but that is not the case in some organizations. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

No. Maybe the FO has told RR that he should leave in Gio, Lopez and maybe even Covey as Taylor said.  Then again, maybe the FO lets RR make his own decisions on a game to game basis and I agree he should have pulled him sooner.  Everyone assume the managers makes these decisions but that is not the case in some organizations. 

No manager worth a damn would allow himself to take orders from the FO on how he runs his team / game. There's a reason Charlie Finley went through managers like water, they finally would get tired of him calling the dugout and demanding the manager do certain things. I just can't see Rick (who I don't think is a good manager) putting himself in that spot.

10 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I am a pompous asshole. No question. I never said fans wanting to see wins is dumb. I said treating rebuilds as if they're linear is dumb. 

Nothing more lame and cringeworthy than when people proclaim themselves assholes. So sick bro. 

14 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Posts like this are a nice reminder that some people just don't get the concept of rebuilding. 

Yes, and apparently some people don’t understand it may not always be a positive to leave a young player hanging out to dry when he obviously has nothing left.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He threw 117 pitches, many of them high stress.  You don't have to be a baseball lifer to know he had little outside of an at times effectively wild fastball night and was cruising for a bruising after the 5th inning.

It was a bad decision for many reasons, including developing Lopez.

Stop using facts and logic to prove Taylor wrong.  😂

Ricky just did it again.  He didn’t have anyone warming up early enough.  And this time, Ricky pulled an overdone Banuelos after a 1-0 count to the batter.

Taylor was wrong.  It isn’t some sort of rebuild strategy.  Ricky is just a terrible manager asleep at the wheel.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He threw 117 pitches, many of them high stress.  You don't have to be a baseball lifer to know he had little outside of an at times effectively wild fastball night and was cruising for a bruising after the 5th inning.

These are all reasons why you keep him in, not pull him. That's why it's called "adversity." Last night's game didn't mean shit. None of these games mean anything. It's all about development. Reylo's window is running out. They need to see how he handles situations like last night. 

14 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

These are all reasons why you keep him in, not pull him. That's why it's called "adversity." Last night's game didn't mean shit. None of these games mean anything. It's all about development. Reylo's window is running out. They need to see how he handles situations like last night. 

I found Tom Thibodeau's account.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Ricky just did it again.  He didn’t have anyone warming up early enough.  And this time, Ricky pulled an overdone Banuelos after a 1-0 count to the batter.

Taylor was wrong.  It isn’t some sort of rebuild strategy.  Ricky is just a terrible manager asleep at the wheel.

What is Cooper and the bench coach doing?  Ricky is surrounded by people to advise him of situational things to think about.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

What is Cooper and the bench coach doing?  Ricky is surrounded by people to advise him of situational things to think about.

It’s very strange.  I know the strategy from Cooper is to try to always get 6 innings out of their starters but that doesn’t preclude you from having a reliever warming up just in case.  I think Cooper fell asleep too.

16 hours ago, ptatc said:

Look at the June schedule. the sox only have 4 games against a team with a losing record, 4 against the Nationals who aren't that bad. Every other game is against teams with winning records, Yankmees, Boston, Texas, Tampa, minnesota.

It will be a long month.

Good chance to establish ourselves as being for real.  FO needs to find us some pitching.

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

No manager worth a damn would allow himself to take orders from the FO on how he runs his team / game. There's a reason Charlie Finley went through managers like water, they finally would get tired of him calling the dugout and demanding the manager do certain things. I just can't see Rick (who I don't think is a good manager) putting himself in that spot.

Lip: I am disappointed in you as i figured you were up on modern times. Is Terry Francona worth a damn??? Pick up his book and read it. While in Boston, where he won a WS, the FO would tell him how to use certain young players.  

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

unfortunately this is becoming the norm. with the growing analytics departments, orders come down from the front office on certain aspects of the game as well as individual players.

it part of the new game.

5 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Lip: I am disappointed in you as i figured you were up on modern times. Is Terry Francona worth a damn??? Pick up his book and read it. While in Boston, where he won a WS, the FO would tell him how to use certain young players.  

If what you say is true then you can't put it past the Sox FO to be ordering Renteria to keep playing Alonso regardless of how bad he is hoping he'll catch fire and they can save face.

That would be very regrettable and I'd lose a lot of respect for Renteria in the process. I think he's a bad manager but a straight-shooter.

27 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If what you say is true then you can't put it past the Sox FO to be ordering Renteria to keep playing Alonso regardless of how bad he is hoping he'll catch fire and they can save face.

That would be very regrettable and I'd lose a lot of respect for Renteria in the process. I think he's a bad manager but a straight-shooter.

Of course the order is to keep playing Alonso. You acquired him for 9 million and acquired him to be a stud. First of all Ricky knows he has to keep playing such player. If he didn't, then he'd be asked what's up. Certainly Hahn and/or KW talk to Rick on a daily basis. It's been made clear you don't bench Alonso. Otherwise you totally embarrass the guy who acquired him. And you wouldn't even have given Alonso, the 9 million dollar man, a chance to bat in the warm weather.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Of course the order is to keep playing Alonso. You acquired him for 9 million and acquired him to be a stud. First of all Ricky knows he has to keep playing such player. If he didn't, then he'd be asked what's up. Certainly Hahn and/or KW talk to Rick on a daily basis. It's been made clear you don't bench Alonso. Otherwise you totally embarrass the guy who acquired him. And you wouldn't even have given Alonso, the 9 million dollar man, a chance to bat in the warm weather.

They acquired Alonso to draw Machado here and it failed.  $9 million is a good chunk of change but Alonso is far from a stud.  You usually have to pay more than $9 million for a stud.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I think it'd be the opposite. Batting Alonso 4th just keeps making it clear how bad of an acquisition it is, and keeps the failed Machado hunt in the foreground.

To me, it is much more likely that RR is not a flexible thinker, and insists on having LH power bat hit 4th, no matter the results. (See also: No use of openers, SP being left until the 6th come hell or high water, years of batting a fast guy 1st, even if he isn't a good OBP hitter, etc)

• Like 1

How come nobody praised greg for the pre-Game One prediction all hell would break loose this series cause the Royals pull this kind of bleep all the time. Hitting TA in the head? I can't believe some national announcers were OK with it. I'd think an 86 mph changeup to the face still will cause a lotta dental damage. WTF?

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

How come nobody praised greg for the pre-Game One prediction all hell would break loose this series cause the Royals pull this kind of bleep all the time. Hitting TA in the head? I can't believe some national announcers were OK with it. I'd think an 86 mph changeup to the face still will cause a lotta dental damage. WTF?

Seems like you got the praising greg covered, didn't think we needed to pitch in is all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2019 at 2:02 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Do you think RR calls all the defensive shifting going on these days? It is a nerd w a computer before the game handing out assignments to the coaches.