Winner, winner

bmags

16 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Ugly, ugly game. Glad the Sox got the win after blowing that big lead. Eloy at least had a hit tonight but Alonso and Herrera continue to look brutal, just awful.

My sentiments exactly. There were many positives for the Sox, but they still blew a big lead against a bad hitting team. I don't see what all the gloating is about. Sox pitching is real thin. I am happy with the team being this close to .500. I surely didn't expect it, but this team has one solid starter and that's it.

1 minute ago, NWINFan said:

My sentiments exactly. There were many positives for the Sox, but they still blew a big lead against a bad hitting team. I don't see what all the gloating is about. Sox pitching is real thin. I am happy with the team being this close to .500. I surely didn't expect it, but this team has one solid starter and that's it.

Blame Renteria for not knowing how to manage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Blame Renteria for not knowing how to manage.

I do since he depends on players who just don't produce.  I am tired of seeing Alonso doing his Adam Dunn imitation. Alonso just doesn't need to be lower in the lineup; he needs not to be in the lineup.

59 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I do since he depends on players who just don't produce.  I am tired of seeing Alonso doing his Adam Dunn imitation. Alonso just doesn't need to be lower in the lineup; he needs not to be in the lineup.

While I agree with this knock on Renteria (Alonso is terrible and should be cut), the entire board knew and posted in the game thread that Lopez should have been pulled earlier.  But Renteria and Cooper apparently have the strategy of having all starters go 6 innings regardless of how they look, if their pitch count is low enough.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Let's get to .500 before any talk of how much we are out of a wild card spot 

Either way, having to have conversations about whether or not being 2.5 games out is a thing or not going into June is a nice change of pace 

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But Renteria and Cooper apparently have the strategy of having all starters go 6 innings regardless of how they look, if their pitch count is low enough.

Posts like this are a nice reminder that some people just don't get the concept of rebuilding. 

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Posts like this are a nice reminder that some people just don't get the concept of rebuilding. 

Rebuilding shouldn't mean to not manage well.  Losing isn't a necessity during the rebuild just the probability.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Rebuilding shouldn't mean to not manage well.  Losing isn't a necessity during the rebuild just the probability.  

Rebuilding means you keep throwing your young starters out there to face adversity. What's more important, continuing to evaluate and try to develop Reylo or winning a meaningless game against the Royals? Renteria is here for a reason, and it's not to win a world series this year. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Rebuilding means you keep throwing your young starters out there to face adversity. What's more important, continuing to evaluate and try to develop Reylo or win a meaningless game against the Royals? Renteria is here for a reason, and it's not to win a world series this year. 

At this stage of rebuild there is no reason to not win every game you can.  If losing is so desirable than put Alonso in centerfield.  Ricky taught Lopez nothing by letting him get shelled and lose the W.  Also, as others have pointed out...2 1/2 games out of the wild card isn't totally out of it.  Probably out of it-Yes - but not out of it.

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

At this stage of rebuild there is no reason to not win every game you can.  If losing is so desirable than put Alonso in centerfield.  Ricky taught Lopez nothing by letting him get shelled and lose the W.  Also, as others have pointed out...2 1/2 games out of the wild card isn't totally out of it.  Probably out of it-Yes - but not out of it.

Nice strawman. 

"This stage of the rebuild" is also a dumb concept. It assumes rebuilds are linear, which they obviously aren't. Reylo is dangerously close to the sink or swim stage of his career though. Either he figures it out or not. You have to keep throwing him out there to find out. Right now he's failing. If he does fail, the Sox need to alter course. People can't think beyond the micro elements of meaningless games and think about the macro goals that the organization has. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Nice strawman. 

"This stage of the rebuild" is also a dumb concept. It assumes rebuilds are linear, which they obviously aren't. Reylo is dangerously close to the sink or swim stage of his career though. Either he figures it out or not. You have to keep throwing him out there to find out. Right now he's failing. If he does fail, the Sox need to alter course. People can't think beyond the micro elements of meaningless games and think about the macro goals that the organization has. 

There is nothing "dumb" about fans wanting to see good baseball and caring about winning games.  When you explain how other people only think about the little "micro" unimportant things...makes you sound like a pompous A**. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

There is nothing "dumb" about fans wanting to see good baseball and caring about winning games.  When you explain how other people only think about the little "micro" unimportant things...makes you sound like a pompous A**. 

I am a pompous asshole. No question. I never said fans wanting to see wins is dumb. I said treating rebuilds as if they're linear is dumb. 

What "stage of the rebuild" are we in anyway? If you would have told me when the rebuild started that Hansen, Kopech, Dunning, Burdi, Burger, Adolfo, Basabe and Rodon would all suffer major injuries, I'd have told you the window needs to be pushed back. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

What "stage of the rebuild" are we in anyway? If you would have told me when the rebuild started that Hansen, Kopech, Dunning, Burdi, Burger, Adolfo, Basabe and Rodon would all suffer major injuries, I'd have told you the window needs to be pushed back. 

I think we’re in the dreaded “TJ Surgery & Achilles Recovery Stage.”   So yes, I think that is typically stage 2b

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I think we’re in the dreaded “TJ Surgery & Achilles Recovery Stage.”   So yes, I think that is typically stage 2b

Right. So one would assume a smart business would push the window back, look at their long term assets, see which ones you can move and try to get younger. Fans won't like it, but fans are gonna complain anyway. 

I'll use Rodon as an example. When Kopech and Hansen went down, I would have moved Rodon from "part of the future" to "tradeable asset," for a few reasons 1. Injury history. 2. Refusal to sign an extention. 3. The window being pushed back. Maybe the Sox did too, but he got hurt again, so it's moot. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Rebuilding means you keep throwing your young starters out there to face adversity. What's more important, continuing to evaluate and try to develop Reylo or winning a meaningless game against the Royals? Renteria is here for a reason, and it's not to win a world series this year. 

He threw 117 pitches, many of them high stress.  You don't have to be a baseball lifer to know he had little outside of an at times effectively wild fastball night and was cruising for a bruising after the 5th inning.

It was a bad decision for many reasons, including developing Lopez.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He threw 117 pitches, many of them high stress.  You don't have to be a baseball lifer to know he had little outside of an at times effectively wild fastball night and was cruising for a bruising after the 5th inning.

It was a bad decision for many reasons, including developing Lopez.

Taylor thinks it was a good move. You think it was a bad move. I wonder what Hahn thought or is RR doing what he is told.   

2 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Taylor thinks it was a good move. You think it was a bad move. I wonder what Hahn thought or is RR doing what he is told.   

whatever he was told should have included "hey moron, have someone warming up".  That's the real rub with the situation last night.