***Day 1 MLB Draft Thread***

Heads22

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Madrigal has a limited ceiling due to his stature and lack of power. Vaughn has to hit otherworldly to separate himself from a typical 1B who is going to hit anyways.

I think it really isn't that difficult figuring out what most of the people who are down on these type of picks actually wanted. Guys with more of ceiling who played premium positions.

Neither guy fits the bill Madrigal doesn't have the ceiling, Vaughn plays a non premium position. When you are picking top 5 you are expecting to walk away with someone who has the potential to be a superstar down the line for both players I don't think anyone expects that out of them both should be good but unless Vaughn bat ends up being top ten in baseball the pick is going to be a waste.

Sure, I’m sure people who preferred Vaughn wouldn’t mind passing on him if that player existed. However the 2 guys who fit the bill were taken 1 and 2. There is literally no one else who has the ceiling that worth passing on the hitting ability of Vaughn. If you don’t find the right guy, no need to get cute and fancy there.

2 minutes ago, Wanne said:

yeah...how the fuck are the Yankees in there? geezus.

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

How did they get the pick? Via trade? 

Yes, trade via Reds.

Competitive Balance picks can be traded (but only by the team that was originally given them, and not for money). 

Edited by gusguyman

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I'd much rather take my chances with a guy like CJ Abrams then go for safe picks

do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?  Sox aren't in a position to do that...

2 minutes ago, Wanne said:

do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?  Sox aren't in a position to do that...

Yep, he’s nuts.  They couldn’t even make him look good in the preview.  He has to have the biggest bust potential of the draft.  Harold Reynolds compared his swing to Jarrod Dyson’s, haha.  He would’ve been a total Kenny pick.  A speedy athlete who can’t hit in the majors.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

19 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

This is questionable. Juan Pierre had 20 power, didn’t have an 80 hit tool, and managed to make a nice career. There’s other variables that come into play. 

A 20 power would likely never hit a mlb home run, let alone 18 of them. Pierre was weak but a 20 power is something youd assign to a high school kid who hits zero homers.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Reading is a skill.

Yep, especially while following a message board thread.  Take your own advice and try to keep up with the discussion.  Like I said, I wasn’t the first one to bring up Madrigal, which is what you accused me of doing.  Go back further in the thread and whine to the correct person at least.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

• bmags unpinned this topic