Where is Nick Madrigal at in his development?

Greg Hibbard

The first thing any and all players should do before being called up is demonstrate that they are ready.  It is not useful to pick an arbitrary time to call them up.  Once they are ready, we can debate service time issues.  Remember everyone laughed when it was said Eloy needed to work on defense?  He got hurt on a awkward defensive play.  Robert needs to play, adjust to breaking balls and learn how to run/steal/slide without hurting his hand.  Madrigal just moved to AA.  Vaughn hasn't even signed yet.  Who knows how he adjusts.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Magdrical and Robert need to be called up in April of next year. If we are in contention for a playoff spot next year, Vaughn should be called up later next summer after service time deadline passes. 

Best case scenario for Vaughn would be and early 2021 callup it seems. For a position player prospect to make it from being drafted, to the majors 12 months later would require a crazy level of production. I'd expect him late 2021 or early 2022

Edited by steveno89

39 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Best case scenario for Vaughn would be and early 2021 callup it seems. For a position player prospect to make it from being drafted, to the majors 12 months later would require a crazy level of production. I'd expect him late 2021 or early 2022

I expect he'll get the obligatory 10 games in A ball (like Madrigal did), but spend the majority of the rest of this year at A+.  If he rakes, he'll open next year at AA, and from there it's not crazy to think that he could be called up in July or August if he's OPSing .900+.  Even if the production is just good, and not great, I think the Sox would like Vaughn to be their opening day first basemen in 2020. 

• Haha 1

While he definitely needs to develop at least some double power and walk  more, let's take a moment to appreciate what he does insanely well. 325 PAs in A+, he struck out 11 times. Absurd. 

If I took 325 PAs off of a batting tee, I'd K more than that.

32 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

While he definitely needs to develop at least some double power and walk  more, let's take a moment to appreciate what he does insanely well. 325 PAs in A+, he struck out 11 times. Absurd. 

Yes, but what kind of contact is he making on his outs to not strikeout?  If he is just taking defensive slappy swings with 2 strikes and grounding out to the infield, that is going to keep his strikeouts done but also his SLG.  He has to also sacrifice some contact to drive the ball.  You can’t always swing like Juan Pierre.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

32 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Vaughn apparently doesn't K a lot either. It will be nice to have a couple guys in the order that don't give ABs away.

12 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Vaughn apparently doesn't K a lot either. It will be nice to have a couple guys in the order that don't give ABs away.

Guys who make a pitcher use 7 & 8 pitches help get into an opponents bullpen are valuable.  Madrigal hits behind the runner and takes a pitcher out of his routine when he is on base.  We will have an interesting mix of speed and power.  I  like how most of our power guys are not Konerko on the bases.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pat M. said:

Madrigal was 3 for 4 last night and got called up to Birmingham AA.

I really think Madrigal is going to have a really nice month of June and qwell any fears about his slower start. Sox fans are really going to love him in our future lineup. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I wonder how fast Madrigal is. 

Yolmer fast?  Moncada fast?  Certainly not Robert fast.....

I'm not sure where he's at now. He was at a 6.5 60 yard dash out of high school which is about 70 grade. I'd imagine that's a bit slower now.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:51 AM, poppysox said:

Guys who make a pitcher use 7 & 8 pitches help get into an opponents bullpen are valuable.  Madrigal hits behind the runner and takes a pitcher out of his routine when he is on base.  We will have an interesting mix of speed and power.  I  like how most of our power guys are not Konerko on the bases.

I don't think Madrigal is a guy that goes deep into counts, he's too good at putting the ball in play. 

Madrigal might be the greatest AA hitter in the history of the game. He hasn’t even made an out yet. 

EDIT:  He did get thrown out stealing once, so I suppose that is making an out. Send him back down to A+.

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I'm not sure where he's at now. He was at a 6.5 60 yard dash out of high school which is about 70 grade. I'd imagine that's a bit slower now.

It shouldn't be.  Most athletes make their biggest physical gains between 18-24.  He's in a professional training program now he should be getting bigger, faster and stronger.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, flavum said:

Still the Sox future 2B. He’ll be more of a solid presence, reliable, and consistent, rather than a superstar. And he’ll do fine against good pitching because of the bat to ball skills. Still a great pick, even if other 2018 picks have higher upside in the long run.

This might be asking for too much, but one of my all time favorite White Sox at 2B, Ray Durham, was no superstar either but he could hit.

Interesting that the Dash batted Madrigal in the 2 hole.  That where I want to see him because of his bat control.  He fouls off balls to close to take...hits behind the runner...his bunt and walk abilities distract the pitcher while trying to hold runners on.  Very Nellie Fox like.  Nellie helped a lot in making Luis Aparicio a star.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:51 AM, poppysox said:

Number of pitches for all of a player's plate appearances NP is tracked, as is number of plate appearances PA, but I found no AvgNPPA stat.  I calculated a few:  McCann is at 4.23, and Moncada and Abreu are above 3.9.  One of the worst on team is Anderson's 3.36 (I still don't think he'll ever be a consistent hitter).

1 minute ago, TBrown54 said:

Number of pitches for all of a player's plate appearances NP is tracked, as is number of plate appearances PA, but I found no AvgNPPA stat.  I calculated a few:  McCann is at 4.23, and Moncada and Abreu are above 3.9.  One of the worst on team is Anderson's 3.36 (I still don't think he'll ever be a consistent hitter).

Well, ever is a long time.