And that's a Eloy Jimenez Coming Out Party White Sox Winner

chitownsportsfan

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Eloy is special. Can you imagine him in the old Comiskey Park? Roof shots. He'd hit homers to that nook in right center that only Dick Allen reached. Eloy Eloy Eloy.

Hahn will be Sox GM forever cause he brought Eloy to the south side. Now to all the rebuild/tank fanatics. It's time NOW to start building on superstar Eloy and stars Moncada, Timmy and Abreu and Gio and start doing the tinkering necessary to start DOMINATING THIS WEAK bleep DIVISION!!!! We can start winning now with the proper acquistions. But nooooooo .... we're talking about trading Colome, Abreu, McCann, Alonso (OK he should go) just so we can start sucking eggs and get a high draft pick AGAIN.

JUST.RIDE.ELOY.TO.THE.TOP starting NOW!!!! Thank you and remember, Hahn is here forever cause he brought this star to the South Side. He is Dave Winfield times three folks.

I am with you, Greg. No more trading for prospects that won't be ready to play for at least two seasons. The Sox have some young players developing this year. They are supposed to have a wealth of young talent in the minors. I don't want the concept of the rebuild as an excuse for inaction or the same other things.  There has been enough losing already. And I could care less what year of the rebuild this is. Time to show progress on the field. No more tanking.

11 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Can someone take a rangefinder to the park and figure out how far that ball really went? I can't believe 462.

Google Maps has the distance from home to just before those stairs at 465, 500 would appear to clear the deck completely.

I was able to go around the bases and come out to 358, just for an idea of googles accuracy

Edited by mqr

13 minutes ago, mqr said:

Google Maps has the distance from home to just before those stairs at 465, 500 would appear to clear the deck completely.

I was able to go around the bases and come out to 358, just for an idea of googles accuracy

But imagine if those stairs weren't there an it landed on the actual concourse, I would imagine it would be an extra 30+ feet

1 hour ago, bmags said:

weirdly player A is bryce harper for some reason.

It's not really for no reason. Harper was highly sought after on this board all winter while I'd say the majority of fans here thought Anderson wasn't going to be apart of contending teams here. He swung too much, didn't get on base enough, etc. Meanwhile for like $24M less, Anderson's season has been superior so far.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Harper always starts slow, and I'd take him in RF as well. 

By the end of the year he's going to be hovering around his usual line: .275/.380/.500

I'd absolutely love Harper in RF too but let's not forget that Harper isn't even close to worth $30M per on the field. He's got a big reputation but he's just good, not great.

10 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

But imagine if those stairs weren't there an it landed on the actual concourse, I would imagine it would be an extra 30+ feet

It didn't quite land on the stairs, it landed in front and bounced up them.

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

It's not really for no reason. Harper was highly sought after on this board all winter while I'd say the majority of fans here thought Anderson wasn't going to be apart of contending teams here. He swung too much, didn't get on base enough, etc. Meanwhile for like $24M less, Anderson's season has been superior so far.

I'd absolutely love Harper in RF too but let's not forget that Harper isn't even close to worth $30M per on the field. He's got a big reputation but he's just good, not great.

But, like, were people advocating to get Harper and trade Anderson? I think everyone wanted to supplement this roster with a big bat, and a .350 obp in a down year was why harpers floor was so attractive. The reason signing FAs was nice was because we weren't losing anything but money!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm very high on Eloy, but the pessimist in me remembers how excited I was by Palka's amazing power last year and then how ultimately one-dimensional he became. I know they are VASTLY different players, but I think it is worth noting that even 27 home runs in 400 ABs one season can turn into NOTHING next season.

37 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He's making 24M  AAV, it is just an insanely long contract. 

I would have been fine with that contract if they frontloaded it heavily for the first 3 seasons, at somewhere around 40M, given that he didn't want an opt out, and then had less money on the back end. As long as the last 5 seasons were in the 10-15M range, I'd have been fine with it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I'm very high on Eloy, but the pessimist in me remembers how excited I was by Palka's amazing power last year and then how ultimately one-dimensional he became. I know they are VASTLY different players, but I think it is worth noting that even 27 home runs in 400 ABs one season can turn into NOTHING next season.

Did you just compare Eloy to Palka...?

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

ergo, they shouldn't enjoy it? I would think they would savor it more.

It's not that Sox fans "hate" winning as the original poster said, it's just that they aren't used to it because they haven't really seen it since 2012. And while improved let's not forget they are still a below .500 team at this point with seemingly new injuries every day.

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's not that Sox fans "hate" winning as the original poster said, it's just that they aren't used to it because they haven't really seen it since 2012. And while improved let's not forget they are still a below .500 team at this point with seemingly new injuries every day.

I believe there is a segment of Sox fans who absolutely love to whine and complain, and are miserable when they're winning because they don't get to b**** about anything and everything. Their entire identity as a Sox fan is to b**** and complain about anything and everything, and when they're good they disappear. Note the gamethreads. When they're getting blasted there is more posting, and when they're winning the gamethread is much shorter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I believe there is a segment of Sox fans who absolutely love to whine and complain, and are miserable when they're winning because they don't get to b**** about anything and everything. Their entire identity as a Sox fan is to b**** and complain about anything and everything, and when they're good they disappear. Note the gamethreads. When they're getting blasted there is more posting, and when they're winning the gamethread is much shorter. 

I almost blew up my account this offseason and look at me now.  Having a blast watching this team and bummed there's no game today.  And it's almost the middle of June!  How far back to you have to go to where we were having fun in the middle of June and the Sox are worth watching on a nightly basis?  2012?

The trades Hahn made that looked mediocre at best 4 months ago are now looking pretty damn awesome.  Things can change but with Gio and Moncada and now Eloy emerging into stars and perhaps superstars (on cheap deals) the future is looking pretty good.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

"I know they are VASTLY different players"

I compared the experience of getting excited by seeing a guy hit a lot of gargantuan home runs and then ultimately totally busting.

Palka was essentially a nobody who struck it hot in terms of power and nothing else. Tbh he could probably come up to the majors again and crush the ball. The difference is that Jimenez has been touted as a phenom for years and after a slow start he's absolutely pounding the baseball lately, most likely beginning a 6+ year terror on the league. I also don't recall Palka hitting the ball this far. If at any point you watched Palka last year and thought so highly of him that now you consider him a "bust," perhaps your expectations were too high and you found a semi-bright spot in what was a miserable season and assumed he would improve.

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I almost blew up my account this offseason and look at me now.  Having a blast watching this team and bummed there's no game today.  And it's almost the middle of June!  How far back to you have to go to where we were having fun in the middle of June and the Sox are worth watching on a nightly basis?  2012?

The trades Hahn made that looked mediocre at best 4 months ago are now looking pretty damn awesome.  Things can change but with Gio and Moncada and now Eloy emerging into stars and perhaps superstars (on cheap deals) the future is looking pretty good.

On March 15th the rebuild looked dead. Now it is not only alive and well, but is looking like a great success. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

Can someone take a rangefinder to the park and figure out how far that ball really went? I can't believe 462.

I was confused how that wasnt around 500 feet. It was longer than Thomes black out game homer by like 40 feet. To clear that back drop has to 460 given the height of it. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

On March 15th the rebuild looked dead. Now it is not only alive and well, but is looking like a great success. 

A lot of pressure on Kop and Cease - I'm fearful the Sox may leave Hansen in a relief role. 

Missing out on Manny and Bryce could actually be a blessing in disguise IF the Sox use that money on pitching to supplement their ++ offensive future. The Sox need to prove that they'll spend the money first though obviously... before we can say the above and believe it. They should to out and give 190 million dollars to gerrit cole.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A lot of pressure on Kop and Cease - I'm fearful the Sox may leave Hansen in a relief role. 

Missing out on Manny and Bryce could actually be a blessing in disguise IF the Sox use that money on pitching to supplement their ++ offensive future. The Sox need to prove that they'll spend the money first though obviously... before we can say the above and believe it. They should to out and give 190 million dollars to gerrit cole.

Could be a blessing in disguise but the process was still bad, which isn't promising for future FA pursuits.  I never again want see the "Friends and Family Plan" on the South Side unless it's a ticket promotion coming off a pennant.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

All of that is irrelevant to the point that if they aren't used to a winning team and they should relish it even more.

Continually stating that they haven't won since 2012 doesn't change the ability to enjoy the winning now and as I pointed out may make it even more enjoyable. 

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What does this say about drawing conclusions before a season has started?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have a lot of faith in Kopech to be a stud pitcher, less so with Cease, but having Giolito emerge this year is a huge bonus and takes the pressure off of those two significantly, IMO. 

Missing out on Manny is a blessing in disguise because Moncada is filling 3B nicely. I'd like him to stay there. They should go get Cole or Strasburg(I believe he will opt out) and call it a day. I'm fairly confident that one of Lopez/Dunning will be a serviceable 5th starter. I feel like worst case Cease will be a #3/4 and you can slot Cole or Strasburg in between Kopech and Giolito. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have a lot of faith in Kopech to be a stud pitcher, less so with Cease, but having Giolito emerge this year is a huge bonus and takes the pressure off of those guys significantly, IMO. 

Yeah Giolito is pitching in such a way that it looks like they only need to be serviceable major leaguers. Will that continue? Idk, but it's a lot easier to envision a solid enough rotation with this version of Giolito. 

Edited by mqr

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yeah Giolito is pitching in such a way that it looks like they only need to be serviceable. Will that continue? Idk, but it's a lot easier to envision a solid enough rotation with this version of Giolito. 

I believe so. Will he be Cy Young quality every year? No, but I think you can pencil him in for a 2.50-3.20 ERA, 190 IP and 200+K for the foreseeable future. That is an ace in the AL. 

At this point, I have all of the faith in the world that Giolito and Kopech are going to be a wonderful 2 headed monster at the top of the rotation. 

Edited by Jack Parkman