Sox changing up their amateur scouting department according to Mark Gonzales

Sleepy Harold

53 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-moving-forward-with-mlb-draft-plans-c272308110

Mike Shirley is national cross checker and has been with the White Sox as a scout forever (lol).  Most interestingly, he signed Getz.

Outfielder Mike Shirley was selected by the Cleveland Indians in the 45th round of the 1989 amateur draft and played in the Indians' chain from 1990-1992. Shirley also spent 1995-1996 with the Anderson Lawmen

After his playing days, Shirley has been a Chicago White Sox scout. He was involved in the singings of Clayton RichardJohn Shelby IIIChris GetzMatthew LongJohn ElyBrian OmogrossoJosh PhegleyTyler KuhnNate JonesCharles Leesman and Jake Petricka among others.

giphy.gif

47 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Seeing where these guys were drafted and the fact that most of them made the big leagues, that is pretty good.

On the other hand, do you want this guy who has been with the White Sox seemingly his entire life as a scout to be in charge of drafting players that will be on the next Sox World Series winner?

We really can’t do any better than that?

At least Hostetler absorbed a lot from the Braves’ organization...a highly successful scouting operation, historically.  Getz had one or two seasons with the Royals and Dayton Moore, etc.

Just seems like settling, we don’t need a one year wonder team like 2012.

Final point, many of the players he drafted are from the Midwest....stretching to KY.  That’s one of the areas with the fewest major leaguers per capita, compared to Florida, Texas, California, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

At this point, I would almost be elated to see Jim Thome named but it’s way too much work for a family man who’s already set for life financially...somehow this Shirley dude who signed Chris Getz makes almost too much sense not to happen.

The list of his other signings is like a wasteland of Sox mired in mediocrity for the past 15 years.  When Clayton Richard and Nate Jones are your two biggest successes in life, well, why should it be surprising at all when he gets the nod?

Scouts don’t control where they are assigned or who makes the picks. Getting two longtime big leaguers is pretty good.

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. Always. I'm not an idiot. 

There was also a fangraphs article about how average pitcher velocity had plateaued a few years back. It didn't go up, but it didn't go down either. 

Sure, after a 15 year period of increases.

Jack, you've floated two very odd conspiracy theories in this thread.

1. That striking out less hurts your OBP.

2. That velocity in baseball hasn't consistently increased for over a decade which has, in turn, contributed to a rise in K-Rates.

You also felt the need to judge Madrigals k-Rate with guys who played in an era where k-rates were significantly lower in general.

All around, it was an interesting night for you but I appreciate the discussion.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They had two assistant scouting directors this year.  Well that's weird.  I wonder why they needed two guys to do one job.  Hmmmmm

Two guys to do one job is pretty normal for white Sox though, so I can see where it didn’t raise flags.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Two guys to do one job is pretty normal for white Sox though, so I can see where it didn’t raise flags.

Because the White Sox are 1/2 as productive at scouting as other organizations...so 1/2 + 1/2=1.  I jest.

Maybe they were already trying to lighten the load on Hostetler (forecasting this move in advance)...knew they were pretty much locked in on their first round targets (6-7 players) the last couple of seasons, and having two guys to concentrate on the Thompson’s and Dalquist’s of the draft spread out the legwork and travel time.

Edited by caulfield12

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've taken about 20 graduate level math classes - statistics included. Who cares? You've disagreed with me all night and I don't go there because who cares.

Mine is bigger than yours...let's move on.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Mine is bigger than yours...let's move on.

I think you missed my point, clearly.

You will never see me cite my background/career/education in discussions online because it's irrelevant and if you can't enunciate your position and support it with analytics or facts then your background is irrelevant and is only used as a crux to defend your unsupported position. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

It remains terribly funny to me that after one of the worst decades in history for the white sox nearly all the top decision makers don't just remain but got promoted. Hostetler isn't the main guy that you'd point to here, but remains hilarious.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think you missed my point, clearly.

You will never see me cite my background/career/education in discussions online because it's irrelevant and if you can't enunciate your position and support it with analytics or facts then your background is irrelevant and is only used as a crux to defend your unsupported position. 

lol what? You do this all the time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

lol what? You do this all the time.

Show me where I do that. I'll wait.

If someone cites their background or something, maybe, but I never support my posts via my background because it adds nothing.

You go search my post history and show me where I do this "all the time." Thanks.

Posted 2k times. Go through my past 500 posts and never once was this cited with the exception of mocking jack for doing it to CWS.

Bmags says "I do it all the time." I'm not going to go any further back as I know I certainly dont do it "all the time" and certainly dont use it as a Crux for my opinion. I get that my style can rub people wrong sometimes, I'm pretty blunt, but dont misrepresent what I say.

Forums are a funny place. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Show me where I do that. I'll wait.

If someone cites their background or something, maybe, but I never support my posts via my background because it adds nothing.

You go search my post history and show me where I do this "all the time." Thanks.

lol, edit, okay maybe i do it but only when OTHERS do it. Theres a reason I know you model basketball teams or whatever to show you that colin sexton is not the worst defensive player in the league. I'm not going to go through that post history to find that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

lol, edit, okay maybe i do it but only when OTHERS do it. Theres a reason I know you model basketball teams or whatever to show you that colin sexton is not the worst defensive player in the league. I'm not going to go through that post history to find that.

Well no, I actually found zero evidence of it in 500 posts prior to the one to Jack. I do recall citing my background three times on here - twice when asked, and once when someone told me I was an uneducated idiot or something like that.

You can go scroll through 20 pages of my post history and see ZERO examples of it so you saying I do it all the time is a lie and disingenuous. I don't really have a long post history here. To say it's done all the time, and it hasn't happened in 22+ pages of posts, I think you are misrepresenting me but keep on keeping. Have a good one.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well no, I actually found zero evidence of it in 500 posts prior to the one to Jack.

You can go scroll through 20 pages of my post history and see ZERO examples of it so you saying I do it all the time is a lie and disingenuous. I don't really have a long post history here. 

K so you've done it twice in your short time period. Got it. You are a model in bringing in your background to talk about how you aren't bringing in your background. Some weird offshoot of the humblebrag.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

K so you've done it twice in your short time period. Got it. You are a model in bringing in your background to talk about how you aren't bringing in your background. Some weird offshoot of the humblebrag.

Sigh....

2k posts... cited my background when asked once and one other time... .1% of my posts have included anything about myself. .1% = ALL the time. Amazing stuff truly.

I'm sorry bmags. I'm an uneducated idiot whose opinion sucks.

Humblebragging about math; weird stuff going on. 

According to my highly-informed Colombian steed, RayRay's cool.

He's sort of the current equivalent of Simon Cowell from a decade ago on American Idol, minus the smirks, which are undetectable online and eventually lead to conflict when you can't pick up on verbal/physical cues like you could in real life.

That said, he almost elevates the discussion or keeps it on a higher plane.  It's always good to have contrarians in either direction, as long as they are well-informed.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's like being critical of Ptac and saying hes bragging for citing from a position of knowledge on medical issue. I appreciate those type of contributions. If I hurt your feelings, sorry. Nothing personal.

It actually isn't, because ptatc doesn't lecture people about how they shouldn't bring in their backgrounds in discussion. Your lecture actually stands that it's rude for ptatc to mention it. But ptatc didn't ask to be in this, so let's stop using another poster.