Sox changing up their amateur scouting department according to Mark Gonzales

Sleepy Harold

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. Pitchers don't make enough mistakes. In order to make contact at an elite rate you have to swing at a metric shit ton of pitcher's pitches. 

Why do you think there has been a push throughout baseball to make striking out ok? 

What in the shit? 

Go search the MLb leaders in contact rates. You'll notice a lot of really great players at the top.

Nothing says Madrigal swings at a ton of balls.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What in the shit? 

Go search the MLb leaders in contact rates. You'll notice a lot of really great players at the top.

Nothing says Madrigal swings at a ton of balls.

I'd bet they all strike out a lot too. Even Mike Trout strikes out over 100 times per season. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bonds on Roids was superhuman. He broke the game. 

Jack, less strike outs has nothing to do with a lower OBP.

OBP on strike outs is 0.0000

OBP on non strike outs is higher than 0.00000.

That's why striking out less can not hurt your OBP. That is mathz.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Placido Polanco is a recent example of a guy who never struck out and put up good OBP seasons. That still doesn't change the fact that your math argument doesn't make any sense at all.

OBP is OBP, those players come along once every couple decades. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jack, less strike outs has nothing to do with a lower OBP.

OBP on strike outs is 0.0000

OBP on non strike outs is higher than 0.00000.

That's why striking out less can not hurt your OBP. That is mathz.

It has a lot to do with swinging early in the count and not going deep into counts. The easiest way to not strike out is to not get into 2 strike counts. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jack has found a way to turn not striking out into a bad thing. This is truly amazing. 

Someone tell Jose Altuve and Michael Brantley to start striking out more! Anthony rendon too. They're doing it all wrong. 

Haha, not striking out is still a good thing but there is a balance. Striking out 20 times is a season is literally giving away 1/5 of your at bats. The only way you can strike out that little is by swinging at crap a lot. 

Juan Pierre had 200 hits a bunch of times but he had a really low OBP because he had no power and swung at crap. Sometimes he got lucky and it found its way through the infield.

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It wouldn't be because the thing that makes a high BABIP sustainable is a high EV. 

You have no idea what BABIP is used for do you? BABIP by itself does not tell you anything about a player (unless it’s abnormally high or low). And it literally doesn’t matter that he’s a .300 hitter with a low BABIP, as long as he’s a .300 hitter.

If a player is sacrificing all of their power potential with two strikes just to make contact and weakly ground out, I could see how that player’s power numbers and extra base hits would be affected over the course of a full season of at bats.  The other side of the coin is that maybe some of that weak contact finds a hole and leads to a single while swinging harder with two strikes could lead to a strikeout.  There has to be a happy medium.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You have no idea what BABIP is used for do you? BABIP by itself does not tell you anything about a player (unless it’s abnormally high or low). And it literally doesn’t matter that he’s a .300 hitter with a low BABIP, as long as he’s a .300 hitter.

Yes I do. It is used as a predictive measure. Average BABIP is .300. Theoretically, if a hitter put every single ball in play over 5 years it would average to a .300 BA. It is used to look for outliers and predict regression to the mean. 

Madrigal probably has had a BABIP that is abnormally high. You can't hit as well as he does without one, and you can't sustain  it without driving the ball consistently. Madrigal doesn't drive the ball like that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If a player is sacrificing all of their power potential with two strikes just to make contact and weakly ground out, I could see how that player’s power numbers and extra base hits would be affected over the course of a full season of at bats.  The other side of the coin is that maybe some of that weak contact finds a hole and leads to a single while swinging harder with two strikes could lead to a strikeout.  There has to be a happy medium.

This. Nice post. This is the point I was trying to make. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

These might be the hottest of takes you’ve ever made and that’s saying something.

How is holding people accountable a hot take? 

Jesus fucking Christ people. 

If people think that I think Madrigal and Vaughn are horrible picks, you've got it all wrong. They supposedly have special qualities,(I know that) but their limitations lower the margin for error to become a plus MLB player. I think that top 5 picks should have more margin for error with similar upside. That is all I was trying to say. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

34 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's just math dude. More balls put in play=more outs. It is the point of BABIP. Also, to put the ball in play as much as Madrigal does you have to have poor plate discipline. Pitchers don't throw enough meatballs. 

What?! This is literally the opposite of true. A K has a .000 batting average. Even pop flies have higher batting average.