Cole Hamels to the Braves, 1 year $18 Million.

5 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

As long as Hamels isn't plan 1A for starting pitchers, I'm fine with it.

If we make an offer to Hamels it will be a Hobson's Choice.  A lowball take it or leave it.  He only has some value if Coop thinks he can fix him.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If we make an offer to Hamels it will be a Hobson's Choice.  A lowball take it or leave it.  He only has some value if Coop thinks he can fix him.

When was the last time coop fixed anyone.  Are we sending Hamels to Gio's high school coach to fix him.  

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

When was the last time coop fixed anyone.  Are we sending Hamels to Gio's high school coach to fix him.  

I know the Coop thing is a yuk yuk...but if he's the pitching coaching they should be getting his opinion on these FA pitchers.  Also, Grandal & McCann would be worth getting their two cents worth.

Just now, poppysox said:

I know the Coop thing is a yuk yuk...but if he's the pitching coaching they should be getting his opinion on these FA pitchers.  Also, Grandal & McCann would be worth getting their two cents worth.

We have a massive amount of financial flexibility.  It has to be Cole, Strasburg or Wheeler.  I don't want to see option C or D unless its to augment what we know to be getting a primary ToR pitcher.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Problem is he’s had oblique issues 2 of the last 3 years.  He also looked washed up last time in the AL.  

He did, but that being said when he got to the Cubs he had a velocity jump back to his previous levels. He was throwing 90-91 with the Rangers. He was throwing 93-94 with the Cubs. 

7 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

We have a massive amount of financial flexibility.  It has to be Cole, Strasburg or Wheeler.  I don't want to see option C or D unless its to augment what we know to be getting a primary ToR pitcher.  

I agree 100%.

JR people will come to see him.  They went to Wrigley to see him.  And get this.  He is in line with our cost projections.  I say we sign him and get some lightning in the bottle.  We can then go all in on Cole and show him that our incentive based plan with deferred payments and team options is more sensible than up front cash.  Think of all the taxes we can save him when we pay him less.   

GettyImages-802001640-1024x683.jpg

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Unprecedented “massive amount of financial flexibility”.  AND the Sox are a major market team, with a shiny, new TV deal in place.

To NOT be in on either Cole or Strasburg dismisses outright Hahn’s claim that the “money will be spent” on premium talent when the time is right.  

If they don’t compete for the Coles and Strasburgs of the world now, they never will, which would call into question their true commitment to winning.  Wheeler is a nice piece, but he’s not on the level of the other two.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He did, but that being said when he got to the Cubs he had a velocity jump back to his previous levels. He was throwing 90-91 with the Rangers. He was throwing 93-94 with the Cubs. 

This is the exact opposite of what his velocity chart for the season shows, his velocity dropped with the Cubs. 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Brilliant. Wheeler starts to sweat that we might be pivoting toward other pitchers and that our offer, which is currently the highest, might not be available for much longer. Wheeler to the good guys by Thursday. Book it. Time to figure out RF.

Manny, is that you?