Sox and Sawks to see if the Price is Right

fathom

59 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-trade-rumors-blue-jays-164528125.html

Sure, but we just traded for Mazara...so the need for a $10 million-ish backup left handed outfielder who will be a free agent in 2021 isn’t that great.   Benintendi’s multiple years of control is the much better match.

Boston is crazy to think other teams would give up prospects for that (Price/JBJr) without at least $40 million going the other direction.

Agreed, both Boston and NYY would have to sweeten the deals to get teams to take Price/Happ off their hands. 

Jackie Bradley Jr. for one season does not impact the trade all that much. A real asset like E Rodririguez or A Benintendi would have to be attached, along with money. 

54 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

The article concludes the following: "Finding a team willing to pay Price a total of $70 million over three years, $23.33 million annually) would largely solve what is considered to be a complex issue." 

Does anyone realistically believe that Boston is going to find a team willing to take on that contract, without including any more than just $26 Million? I'm not buying it, at least not without the Red Sox including another player.

Edited by Lillian

50 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

The writer is on drugs. Boston is not in a power position because they are already over the luxury tax threshold.. They are in a very weak position especially by already adding an extra $9M to their roster with Peraza and Perez.

1 hour ago, HakunaMachado said:

Lol...they are certainly not in a great position with Price and no idea how this guy thinks the Kluber deal helps them.

What the writer fails to recognise is that the $23 Million per year, which Boston needs to reduce their payroll, is worth more than that, to the Red Sox, because of the Luxury Tax. The fact that other teams know that means that Boston is hardly in the driver's seat, as this writer asserts. Therefore, even if a team can justify paying Price $23 Million per year, on a 3 year deal, they have to recognize that they don't need to.  Exactly how much is the Luxury Tax for the Red Sox, at this point? Never mind, I found this:

In 2020, they face a bigger potential burden. Every dollar spent above $208 million would be taxed at a 50 percent rate; the next thresholds are 62 percent for anything over $228 million, and 95 percent beyond $248 million. If the Red Sox stay below the first threshold, however, they will reset their tax rate, with the base rate falling back to 20 percent.

Edited by Lillian

Does Boston need more financial help this upcoming year than it does for the following two years?  Anybody coming off the books after this upcoming season?

Just wondering if it would make sense to take on all $32M this year and then only like $14M each of the next two years (so essentially, Boston is chipping in $36M total).

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Does Boston need more financial help this upcoming year than it does for the following two years?  Anybody coming off the books after this upcoming season?

Just wondering if it would make sense to take on all $32M this year and then only like $14M each of the next two years (so essentially, Boston is chipping in $36M total).

Betts lol.  Other than that I'm not too sure.  I think Pedroia has 2 years left. 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

They need to move salary so they can re-sign Betts. 

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Betts lol.  Other than that I'm not too sure.  I think Pedroia has 2 years left. 

Good chance JD Martinez will opt out next year. Bradley Jr. They've got $5m this year on Sandoval's buyout. Rusney Castillo's guarantee ends this year. 

29 minutes ago, Lillian said:

What the writer fails to recognise is that the $23 Million per year, which Boston needs to reduce their payroll, is worth more than that, to the Red Sox, because of the Luxury Tax. The fact that other teams know that means that Boston is hardly in the driver's seat, as this writer asserts. Therefore, even if a team can justify paying Price $23 Million per year, on a 3 year deal, they have to recognize that they don't need to.  Exactly how much is the Luxury Tax for the Red Sox, at this point? Never mind, I found this:

In 2020, they face a bigger potential burden. Every dollar spent above $208 million would be taxed at a 50 percent rate; the next thresholds are 62 percent for anything over $228 million, and 95 percent beyond $248 million. If the Red Sox stay below the first threshold, however, they will reset their tax rate, with the base rate falling back to 20 percent.

I think the writer is spot-on personally. The fanbase is a few months removed from hearing they may trade betts, and would need to attach benintendi to price to move him.

It's pretty clear they can not only move Price, but could possibly get a valuable piece back (the reliever cleveland got back looks to be a help to the major league roster in 2019 on pre-arb salary). Moving out price means they could dip below the luxury repeater tax and re-sign Betts.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think the writer is spot-on personally. The fanbase is a few months removed from hearing they may trade betts, and would need to attach benintendi to price to move him.

It's pretty clear they can not only move Price, but could possibly get a valuable piece back (the reliever cleveland got back looks to be a help to the major league roster in 2019 on pre-arb salary). Moving out price means they could dip below the luxury repeater tax and re-sign Betts.

Wait what?  You think the Red Sox could get a valuable piece back for Price?  Even if they ate $32M of his contract, I don’t think they’d get anything of value back.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The writer is on drugs. Boston is not in a power position because they are already over the luxury tax threshold.. They are in a very weak position especially by already adding an extra $9M to their roster with Peraza and Perez.

He also doesn't fact check at all.  First line in the article is that 2 cy young winners switched teams yesterday.  MadBum has never been cy young.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wait what?  You think the Red Sox could get a valuable piece back for Price?  Even if they ate $32M of his contract, I don’t think they’d get anything of value back.

Absolutely. Could very well get a bullpen piece back or blocked player that could be on their team this year.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

The article concludes the following: "Finding a team willing to pay Price a total of $70 million over three years, $23.33 million annually) would largely solve what is considered to be a complex issue." 

Does anyone realistically believe that Boston is going to find a team willing to take on that contract, without including any more than just $26 Million? I'm not buying it, at least not without the Red Sox including another player.

That article is lunacy. The more I think about it, the Red Sox would have to eat $60 million of that contract to have a chance at moving it. 

Lets say the Red Sox ate $50 million of the deal, would Price receive 3/$46 million if he were a free agent? No way. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

That article is lunacy. The more I think about it, the Red Sox would have to eat $60 million of that contract to have a chance at moving it. 

Lets say the Red Sox ate $50 million of the deal, would Price receive 3/$46 million if he were a free agent? No way. 

Definitely.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He has averaged 21 starts and 2 WAR the last 3 years. He has had wrist and elbow issues. He is going to be 35. 

How many red flags do you need?

There's been a lot of red flag pitchers getting paid. Clearly there are multiple teams bidding on price, which is a good position for Boston to be in.

Do I think anyone will feel sad about whatever return boston gets, not really, I also don't even want price. But the fact is Boston will almost certainly be able to shed price to the dollar amount they need.

It's another feather in the cap for not worrying so much about the last few years of a deal.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

There's been a lot of red flag pitchers getting paid. Clearly there are multiple teams bidding on price, which is a good position for Boston to be in.

Do I think anyone will feel sad about whatever return boston gets, not really, I also don't even want price. But the fact is Boston will almost certainly be able to shed price to the dollar amount they need.

It's another feather in the cap for not worrying so much about the last few years of a deal.

I think you are off on this one. MadBum got $85 million but $15 million is deferred. Kluber has 2 team options in the $15 million range. So they can get out of that any year. Far more desirable situation than Price and he is 1 year removed from a Cy Young. Not 3 years of being average. 

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sox should want no part of Price 

I cannot imagine Boston would eat $60 million just to move him, there's a difference between teams expressing interest and actually trading for him. 

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think you are off on this one. MadBum got $85 million but $15 million is deferred. Kluber has 2 team options in the $15 million range. So they can get out of that any year. Far more desirable situation than Price and he is 1 year removed from a Cy Young. Not 3 years of being average. 

But there are real concerns that Kluber can even pitch. Price had the cyst removal but should not prevent him from going.

Regardless, seems like it will be resolved soon, so we will see.