**Water-Cooler Thread (TV stuff)**

Brian

On 9/21/2021 at 9:53 AM, southsider2k5 said:

What is your role with this, and congratulations!

I was an office assistant. Ordinary Joe was exec produced by Matt Reeves, who also had some movie shoot in Chicago last fall. I worked on both of those projects at the same time. Now I work on a show for Apple assisting the EP’s. And before that I was assisting the directors and producers for a Disney show.

Needless to say, I’m exhausted 

6 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

Started watching the Sopranos for the first time recently. Just finished season 2 last night. Really good so far.

I'm assuming watching the prequel movie should be ok this weekend since I know most of the main characters. 

Man I LOVED the original right up until the ending.  I hated the ending enough that it ruined the show for me for a long time.  I am going to watch the prequel to hopefully get some of that taste out of my mouth.

24 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

Started watching the Sopranos for the first time recently. Just finished season 2 last night. Really good so far.

I'm assuming watching the prequel movie should be ok this weekend since I know most of the main characters. 

I'm very jealous of you. Anytime I hear someone is watching Sopranos for the first time makes me smile knowing you get to experience all those episodes for the first time. 

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Man I LOVED the original right up until the ending.  I hated the ending enough that it ruined the show for me for a long time.  I am going to watch the prequel to hopefully get some of that taste out of my mouth.

The ending was jarring, but the longer time has gone on, the more I'm OK with it. I'm 100% convinced what happened (I won't spoil it for Sqwert even though it's been like 20 years lol) and that choice by David Chase doesn't change much for me in terms of the show as a whole. 

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm very jealous of you. Anytime I hear someone is watching Sopranos for the first time makes me smile knowing you get to experience all those episodes for the first time. 

The ending was jarring, but the longer time has gone on, the more I'm OK with it. I'm 100% convinced what happened (I won't spoil it for Sqwert even though it's been like 20 years lol) and that choice by David Chase doesn't change much for me in terms of the show as a whole. 

It's definitely not alone in having a garbage ending that puts a dump on a shows legacy.   Lost, Dexter, and How I Met Your Mother all were godawful endings.  Dexter was a show ruiner for sure.

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's definitely not alone in having a garbage ending that puts a dump on a shows legacy.   Lost, Dexter, and How I Met Your Mother all were godawful endings.  Dexter was a show ruiner for sure.

Didn’t watch Dexter and HIMYM, but Lost in my opinion was so much different than Sopranos. The creators said they ran out of ideas by Season 3 and really didn’t know how to get to the end point. That show got so bad the last few seasons. Sopranos wasn’t as good the last season or so, but it was still great TV. I know the final scene caused a lot of controversy, but I guess it just didn’t ruin things for me. 

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I didn't think the HIMYM ending was all that bad. I never understood the hate it got.

The ending of the original Rosanne was an all-time WTF moment though. Although with the new show they basically erased the entire final season.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, RichieZisk said:

Foundation on Apple+ is excellent.  Highly recommended for even casual sci-fi fans.  I read that they want to have 8 seasons of 10 episodes.  It looks pricey to produce so we shall see.

The trailers for this definitely intrigued me. Do I need to read the books first?

I recently finished Leviathan Wakes, planning to check out The Expanse.

2 hours ago, Marqhead said:

The trailers for this definitely intrigued me. Do I need to read the books first?

I recently finished Leviathan Wakes, planning to check out The Expanse.

While the books are really good so far the TV show is a great standalone series.   It looks they are changing and expanding on quite a few things from the books.

Watched Squid Game.  I came away meh.  It wasn't bad or anything, but I just couldn't get past the fact it was a more adult and less teen angsty version of the Hunger Games.  It was interesting, but it definitely felt like I had already seen most of it.  I think the biggest difference was some Korean cultural things, but eliminate that, and it is basically the same show.

Found myself with more available tv time over the last couple of weeks...I wonder why.  Wife and I finally got around to watching the first 3 seasons of Yellowstone over the last week....looking forward to season 4.  Pretty fun escapist TV.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:17 AM, wegner said:

Found myself with more available tv time over the last couple of weeks...I wonder why.  Wife and I finally got around to watching the first 3 seasons of Yellowstone over the last week....looking forward to season 4.  Pretty fun escapist TV.

Yellowstone is great. Beth is the best character.