White Sox Acquire Jarrod Dyson from PIT

Look at Ray Ray Run

To put into perspective how good of a baserunner Dyson is;

since he entered the league, he is the 4th most valuable baserunner in baseball. Impressive... but even more absurd is that he's the 4th most valuable but he has HALF as many PA's as the guy in 1st and 3rd. He has 600 fewer PA's than Billy Hamilton who ranks second.

On a rate basis, Dyson is the 3rd best base runner in baseball in the last 60 years. He's one of the only base runners you'd ever trade for. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

Just now, Quin said:

Yup, it's from last class, not the Norge Vera/Cespedes class.

Yeah, I thought that much because I knew for a fact you cannot trade pool money for the next two classes. I just found it odd it was traded from this years class, when I assumed this years class was already completed.

17 minutes ago, wegner said:

Is the extra inning rule of a man on 2nd to start the inning effective in the playoffs as well this year?

Almost think that would hurt his value if it was, because his value is his ability to get you second base so it's a good thing that's not a post season rule. If he's already there, there's plenty of guys who can go 2nd to home on a good jump. His ability is to get 2nd base for you no matter what. 

Will never forget the Royals calling up Jarrod to just be a pinch runner and it ended up getting them a huge run.

Just now, bmags said:

basically we are just paying dyson. That's the return to the pirates who are probably stripping copper out of their building to raise extra cash at this point.

Read the poor lead scout who signed Gregory Polanco today in the Athletic state that he feels bad because he thinks the Pirates ruined Polanco and destroyed his elite game. 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yep. Think Terrance Gore (where is that guy?).

Jarrod Dyson was the original Terrance Gore; no idea how Sox fans don't remember this. It just turned out that Dyson ended up being a great defender too so he got starting spots as a below average bat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jarrod Dyson was the original Terrance Gore; no idea how Sox fans don't remember this. It just turned out that Dyson ended up being a great defender too so he got starting spots as a below average bat.

Oh I know. Just that Terrance Gore has been picked up by playoff bounds teams it seems like towards end of year last few years.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is for playoff game ending defense. Dyson, Robert, and Engel. Dyson also helped win playoff games stealing bases if I'm not mistaken, but maybe I am. 

Where have I heard this take before????

And in the 8th and 9th inning with a lead, the Sox can have an OF of Dyson, Robert, and Engel. No one matches it.

If the rosters were 26, I wouldn't want Dyson, but 28, he does serve a purpose as long as Ricky doesn't fall in love with him. But even then, with the Sox current roster, it would be very hard for Ricky to play him too much.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

So essentially we gave up money we could have spent in Latin America, in a period that is already dried up, for the right to pay the best pinch runner in baseball for the rest of the season.  There really isn't a downside to this.

He's also still a very good defender; although his defense won't play up as much in LF because his arm is a noodle.

4 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Not that I had much hope, but I would say this rules out Leury from coming back at all this season.

my first thought as well. I'm still a little nervous about TA going down most. Jose Iglesias whom I wanted as our UTIL guy and I think we didn't have a shot at because he wanted to be a starter is having a great year in Baltimore.

It sucks not having a way to get players after next week, but I wish we had a better backup to TA. (don't tell me Yolmer.)