Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The one thing that has changed big time in the last 7 months is the value of cash.  While I think the DeGrom stuff is no go with the new ownership. SPs with big contracts are probably a lot cheaper in terms of prospects than they were a year ago.  MLB just took $3 billion in losses, with a high probability of more losses on the horizon.

Yeah I agree, I think he'd be gettable for cheaper than stated. And that said, I'd much rather have DeGrom than Woodruff. I really don't like overpaying for control.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The one thing that has changed big time in the last 7 months is the value of cash.  While I think the DeGrom stuff is no go with the new ownership. SPs with big contracts are probably a lot cheaper in terms of prospects than they were a year ago.  MLB just took $3 billion in losses, with a high probability of more losses on the horizon.

Apparently I'm going to follow you around with this for a while. Commander Montgomery Scott famously inflated his repair estimates by a factor of 4, because then everyone would think him a miracle worker when he got something done in 1/4 the time. MLB putting out a number that is hard to believe and makes little sense, but which would be extremely useful to them during negotiations with the PA?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Has it? Between TJS, not pitching in 2 years, losing a full year+ of control, and personal stuff, it seems like his value has dropped considerably over the past year+. He was a top 30 prospect in MLB when we acquired him.

He had never pitched above High A when we acquired him.  His value has probably slipped some over the past year, but he still has proven himself against upper minor competition and he showed his plus stuff was back when he was in spring training this year.  His value is definitely higher now then it was back then IMO.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Apparently I'm going to follow you around with this for a while. Commander Montgomery Scott famously inflated his repair estimates by a factor of 4, because then everyone would think him a miracle worker when he got something done in 1/4 the time. MLB putting out a number that is hard to believe and makes little sense, but which would be extremely useful to them during negotiations with the PA?

Do you honestly believe they are going to be firing chunks of front offices, screaming about losses, and then spending record numbers on contracts?  I know you think the numbers are wrong, but do you think they are wrong AND they will act like they are wrong?  I don't, which is all that really matters.  Teams are going to be looking to cut payroll.  It isn't a conspiracy there.  If they really want to make headway with the PA, they have to act like they are broke too, which furthers my point.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Has it? Between TJS, not pitching in 2 years, losing a full year+ of control, and personal stuff, it seems like his value has dropped considerably over the past year+. He was a top 30 prospect in MLB when we acquired him.

Right.  I'm one of Kopech's biggest fans but legit have 0 idea what his actual value would be on the market and I'm guessing it's lower than some of us would like to think.  That's one of the reasons I think trading him would be a pretty bad idea right now.  Obviously if his value is that high where he could be used to acquire Degrom then that's a whole different story.

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yup- and for the record I was more referring to the last couple of things when I brought this up. His original comments on it are from 2016, but he doubled down on them this year

Do you have a source on his doubling down? I believe you 100% I just want the source for when/if this gets announced.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is the thing. JR already regrets firing him once. He will never fire him again. They hire Tony, he manages as long as he wants, results be damned.

My father was always on his mental game until he got to his late 70s.  It started slipping and then in his 80s it just went off the rails.  This idea that age is just a number is insane.   For every well directed energetic 84 year old there are 100 ones that have a hard time remembering what happened yesterday.  We have a young team and we cant be changing managers in 2 more years because Tony gets overwhelmed with the job.  In the end we will have to wait for the reaper to take care of this one.   This same owner allowed someone to destroy a basketball dynasty.  I have zero faith that this gets fixed until he is not involved in this anymore.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do you honestly believe they are going to be firing chunks of front offices, screaming about losses, and then spending record numbers on contracts?  I know you think the numbers are wrong, but do you think they are wrong AND they will act like they are wrong?  I don't, which is all that really matters.  Teams are going to be looking to cut payroll.  It isn't a conspiracy there.  If they really want to make headway with the PA, they have to act like they are broke too, which furthers my point.

I think there are absolutely losses, but I think $3 billion is clearly exaggerated and makes 0 sense when payrolls on players were reduced by 2/3 league-wide. If you had said "there were substantial losses" or "MLB officials claimed there were $3 billion in losses" I would have no problem with those phrases, because neither one of them says that we should be certain that number is true when it probably isn't.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes. Bash brothers, Dave and Rickey Henderson. Eck on the mound. Some of the biggest showboats of their era. I don't think TLR would be so opposed to bat flips as long as TA performs.  I wonder if Not Steve has the same source that told him LaRussa is nothing but a smokescreen telling him LaRussa would only manage if JR spends all of his money. LOL.

I don't agree with Ron on much, but he did hit the nail on the head. The Sox finally have the premium job available, and they are going to blow it on a 76 year old guy who hasn't managed since 2011? That is crazy.

Another thing to consider. What would the impact be regarding the subject of minority hires in baseball? Think of this for a second. The Sox just fired a minority in Renteria from a team laden with black and Hispanic players. Now the rumors of potential hires are mostly concerning white guys and some old ones at that. I'm saying that if they do not seriously take a look at a guy like Sandy Alomar, they might get questioned on why not? Personally, I think Alomar would be a very solid major league manager. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I think there are absolutely losses, but I think $3 billion is clearly exaggerated and makes 0 sense when payrolls on players were reduced by 2/3 league-wide. If you had said "there were substantial losses" or "MLB officials claimed there were $3 billion in losses" I would have no problem with those phrases, because neither one of them says that we should be certain that number is true when it probably isn't.

Honestly it is waste of time.  It can be 1 billion, 2 billion, or 3 billion, the net result is the same.  MLB teams are going to be looking at major cuts.  You can keep whining about the number, but the end result is how teams react to that loss.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I’d prefer we go in a different direction, the causal Sox fan would love a La Russa hiring and it would be make us the focus of a ton of media coverage over the next 12 months.

See, I generally wouldn't be looking forward to that. I feel like it'd have a real good chance at taking the focus away from the baseball team if anything happened. 

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic