2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

37 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Bush 41 was inaugurated with an oppositional Senate. Every president since Carter has faced one at some point.

Joe Biden should appoint moderates. You can be upset about it, but IF the Senate races hold this way and one of Perdue/Loeffler win their runoff, Biden doesn't have a progressive mandate. He'll find a reasonable way to handle it.

Yeah, Biden should be a sucker, and nominate "moderates," just like Obama should've nominated a "moderate" like Merrick Garland.

I mean, after all, McConnell is such an honorable man, and would never go back on his word, right? How could it go wrong?

I dont want to hear any McConnell apologists being whiny b!tches when Biden uses the same "interim" appointees that Trump used.

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, Biden should be a sucker, and nominate "moderates," just like Obama should've nominated a "moderate" like Merrick Garland.

I mean, after all, McConnell is such an honorable man, and would never go back on his word, right? How could it go wrong?

I dont want to hear any McConnell apologists being whiny b!tches when Biden uses the same "interim" appointees that Trump used.

Cabinet positions are quite a bit different than SCOTUS seats. And Trump used interim appointees so often because he has terrible turnover because he's an idiot of a boss. Not because he had an oppositional Senate, which he clearly did not.

1 minute ago, Danny Dravot said:

Cabinet positions are quite a bit different than SCOTUS seats. And Trump used interim appointees so often because he has terrible turnover because he's an idiot of a boss. Not because he had an oppositional Senate, which he clearly did not.

To be fair, many of his interim appointees could not have gotten through the Senate despite Republicans being in control, because they were that bad. The hearings alone would have been a nightmare of bad press for the Republicans in the Senate.

5 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Fair point about the length of time a justice is in service. Doesn't that make McConnell's bullshyte and lying to the American public MORE egregious?

Also, no one that leans right had a word to say about Trump using the backdoor method of using the interim appointment. Did you hear of anyone raising a stink about it?

Given McConnell's untrustworthiness, I wouldn't blame Biden if he bypassed McConnell the same way Trump bypassed the Senate as well.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

2 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

My point is simply this:

The govt, mostly dems, have hysterically accused Trump of everything under the sun for 4 years. The media and leftists were happy to push false narratives. So, if you really think they wouldn't try to commit election fraud too, then you're not paying attention.

My secondary point is that anyone laughing at this notion should look in the mirror. I'm willing to bet they have personally pushed several false narratives about Trump. 

When I have posted to Facebook or engaged with Trump supporters, I bring facts to the table, facts that are sourced from different points of view (NY Times to CNN, to the Chicago Tribune, to the Bulwark, to Hugh Hewitt’s the rundown and Meet the Press). I blamed the 2016 loss on not paying attention to solutions for voters in the Rust Belt states and an unlikable Democratic candidate. I researched Russian interference, but I don’t think of it as the reason for Clinton losing.

I do wish people wouldn’t make anyone out to be a leftist that is against Trump because I’m certainly not a progressive even though I am left of center. Labels are pointless.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

To be fair, many of his interim appointees could not have gotten through the Senate despite Republicans being in control, because they were that bad. The hearings alone would have been a nightmare of bad press for the Republicans in the Senate.

Just curious, but who are you thinking of? What was so bad about them? I don't pay a ton of attention to the ones beyond SecDef and SOS.

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Joe Biden is a centrist, right leaning Democrat his entire career. He'll have no problems appointing moderates to his administration.

It’s crazy how people forget the Joe was the guy the Dems paired with Obama to make more people more comfortable voting for a black guy who was at least running as pretty progressive

Edited by mqr
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Just curious, but who are you thinking of? What was so bad about them? I don't pay a ton of attention to the ones beyond SecDef and SOS.

The most notable is Chad Wolf, who has been acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (FBI, CIA, FEMA, ICE) since November of 2019. In September, a judge ruled that he was illegally serving in that role, and that many of his actions and policy changes likely will be invalid. He's also the one who was in charge of, for example, the assault on protestors in Portland. 

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Joe Biden is a centrist, right leaning Democrat his entire career. He'll have no problems appointing moderates to his administration.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/10/20/biden-transition-republican-cabinet-429972

Joe Biden’s transition team is vetting a handful of Republicans for potential Cabinet positions — despite doubts it will win him new support from the right and the risk it will enrage the left.

Joe Biden is a republican.  That's why Obama picked him for VP, he wanted that moderate/conservative white vote from the suburbs

I shake my head when I see middle class and low income americans vehemently supporting Biden, y'all's lives are gonna get worse lol

Biden voted to confirm Antonin Scalia lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Fair point about the length of time a justice is in service. Doesn't that make McConnell's bullshyte and lying to the American public MORE egregious?

Also, no one that leans right had a word to say about Trump using the backdoor method of using the interim appointment. Did you hear of anyone raising a stink about it?

Given McConnell's untrustworthiness, I wouldn't blame Biden if he bypassed McConnell the same way Trump bypassed the Senate as well.

I lean right, I voted for Biden (for many reasons). I'm far from alone in that category. That counts as "raising a stink about it", I think.

I don't like presidents going around the balance of power. I didn't like Obama talking about using his pen and his phone, I don't like Trump using interim appointments, and so on. If you are a left-wing president and you have a right-wing Senate, well, strong left-wing policies just aren't going to be your legacy. And vice versa. It's your job to handle it.

I hate that we got off track and seem to do more of that now, but the past is the past. The best way to move forward is to respect our systems as they were established. I wouldn't have voted for POTUS at all if I didn't see a candidate I thought capable of that.

19 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I just hope that if McConnell is still the senate majority leader that they can still pass bipartisan legislation or hold moderate Republican senators’ feet to the fire and not see them side with McConnell. I get more pissed off when I see McConnell blocking legislation that is more moderate and less progressive. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The difference is there absolutely zero basis of foul play this time

I mean they absolutely tried, it was as badly done as the last one, but this time when Giuliani tried releasing forged documents that just happened to show they were on a phone on a Russian telephone network, people caught on. The press went along willingly in 2016, for a number of reasons.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I just hope that if McConnell is still the senate majority leader that they can still pass bipartisan legislation or hold moderate Republican senators’ feet to the fire and not see them side with McConnell. I get more pissed off when I see McConnell blocking legislation that is more moderate and less progressive. 

:lolhitting