2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

28 minutes ago, poppysox said:

"I am not voting for a man.  I am voting for the principles for which this country has stood since its founding.  A am voting for a Constitutional government.  I am voting for a strong and viable military.  I am voting for a vibrant economy. I am voting for the right to keep and bear arms.  I am voting for the freedom to worship.  I am voting for national recognition of the founding of our nation on Biblical principles.  I am voting for the ability for anyone to rise above their circumstances and become successful.  I am voting for my children and grandchildren to be able to choose their own path in life,  including how and where their children are educated.  I am voting for our borders to be open to everyone who enters under our law and closed to everyone who would circumvent or ignore the law.  I am voting for the Electoral College to remain in place so that a few heavily populated liberal centers do not control the elections.  I am voting for a Supreme Court that interprets the Constitution rather than rewrites it.  I am voting to teach history, with all its warts. not erase it or revise it.  I am voting for the sanctity of life from conception to birth and after."   Author unknown but agreed with.

Principles? Trump? The funny thing is, with all his projections, his biggest is when he calls people RINOs. He might be the biggest RINO who has ever lived. At least the republican you are describing. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, poppysox said:

"I am not voting for a man.  I am voting for the principles for which this country has stood since its founding.  A am voting for a Constitutional government.  I am voting for a strong and viable military.  I am voting for a vibrant economy. I am voting for the right to keep and bear arms.  I am voting for the freedom to worship.  I am voting for national recognition of the founding of our nation on Biblical principles.  I am voting for the ability for anyone to rise above their circumstances and become successful.  I am voting for my children and grandchildren to be able to choose their own path in life,  including how and where their children are educated.  I am voting for our borders to be open to everyone who enters under our law and closed to everyone who would circumvent or ignore the law.  I am voting for the Electoral College to remain in place so that a few heavily populated liberal centers do not control the elections.  I am voting for a Supreme Court that interprets the Constitution rather than rewrites it.  I am voting to teach history, with all its warts. not erase it or revise it.  I am voting for the sanctity of life from conception to birth and after."   Author unknown but agreed with.

Also, you know what, let's keep going.

Here's a map from the University of Michigan that shows the 2016 results in shades of purple.

countymappurple1024.png

Looks like our country is governed by the minority opinion and wide swaths of land, not people, and the states that receive federal funding than they provide get more of a say in government.

Maybe they should start carrying their weight?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

An appeals court panel is less likely to be 3 extremely pro-GOP judges, and even if he had put a stay on the order it would create a complete mess because voting is continuing today - do people who were going to vote that way just stop doing it tonight?

He pretty much told the circuit court how he'd find on the merits if they quickly enjoined and remanded to him--the tents count as "structures" for all voting up until e-day, but the election regulations in Texas say that voting must be done in a "building" on e-day, and the tents wouldn't count for that.

The drive-up voting will be in operation tomorrow, but he's ordered those votes kept separate and suggested that people find other options to make sure their vote will count.

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

Also, you know what, let's keep going.

Here's a map from the University of Michigan that shows the 2016 results in shades of purple.

countymappurple1024.png

Looks like our country is governed by the minority opinion and wide swaths of land, not people, and the states that receive federal funding than they provide get more of a say in government.

Maybe they should start carrying their weight?

If you put Alaska to scale on that map, it sort of shifts things a bit:

1920px-Alaska_Presidential_Election_Resu

Here's its relative size:

ruUMU9jedrGmILpiOYjqQoL_hOp-QTohq9VbSuVb

All that Alaskan Blue makes up for a lot of Great Plains red, if we want to argue that acres matter more than people.

16 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

If you put Alaska to scale on that map, it sort of shifts things a bit:

1920px-Alaska_Presidential_Election_Resu

Here's its relative size:

ruUMU9jedrGmILpiOYjqQoL_hOp-QTohq9VbSuVb

All that Alaskan Blue makes up for a lot of Great Plains red, if we want to argue that acres matter more than people.

Not quite. Alaska acres count less than Great Plains acres.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

There's a lot wrong with this, but regarding the "strong and viable military". The military budget is typically bloated and rises no matter who is president. Both sides take money from defense contractors. Do people really think the longtime establishment democrat will totally destroy the military? That's just insane. I'm somebody who this is it is ridiculously bloated and should be cut, But that won't happen. The defense budget will continue to be massive no matter who wins this election. 

I'm sorry man, but this is just so cheesy. It sounds like something that would be read on Rush Limbaugh's show. You need to be drinking some strong kool aid to honestly think that applies to Trump (or any other candidate). 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

This is just wrong on so many levels. This is exactly why some GOP are resistant when you try and explain why Trump is far worse than Bush.

The war on Iraq was authorized by Congress. 

Party Ayes Nays Not
Voting
Republican 215 6 2
Democratic 81 126 1
Independent 0 1 0
TOTALS 296 133

Party Yeas Nays
Republican 48 1
Democratic 29 21
Independent 0 1
TOTALS 77 23

Amongst those who voted for the Iraq war were Clinton and Biden. You can go back to 2003. I was against the Iraq war. I said it made no sense and that the entire WMD premise seemed faulty. But there is nothing unordinary about congress authorizing military action and the President agreeing to it. The US had made mistakes on military intervention in the past, they may make them again in the future.

But what Bush never did, is attack American institutions. He did not (to the best of my knowledge) let certain parts of the country suffer because they didnt vote for him. He did not suggest that it extrajudicial killings were okay. He did not support his party assaulting people who were part of the other party. He did not use his office for profit. He did not use the attorney general as his personal attorney. He did not erode support in the judicial system. He did not attempt to undermine the election. He did not falsely accuse his predecessor of spying on him.

The list goes on and on. There is no equivalence between the two. Bush made mistakes, Trump did his on purpose. Intent matters. 

I’ve seen this argued before that the Dems and Republicans both voted for it and are equally responsible.  That to me is a complete whitewash of history and a load of bullshit.  

Cheney was making trips everyday to pressure the CIA to link Iraq/ Saddam to Al Qaeda.  And to make up more and note outrageous claims about WMD’s.  Uranium from Africa nonsense.  The entirety of Colon Powell’s speech at the UN was bullshit and lies.  The Bush administration lied to Congress as well as to the American people about WMD’s.  

Many Democrats certainly could have had a stronger backbone and stood up to the administration more and questioned the claims.  But they were also getting fed lies as well about the hyped up threat level.  Bush mentioned a mushroom cloud at his state of the union speech.  There was all kinds of propaganda pushed by the neocons.   

The authorization passed by Congress was according to the Bush administration only necessary to pressure Saddam to let inspectors in/ give up the supposed weapons.   We could have used some more Bernie’s in there standing up against it for sure.  But to try and claim both sides are responsible for that war is nonsense.   

I was overseas in the military during the run up.  My buddy in the Air Force told me a full year before the war started that it was a certain we were invading and there will be war, before much of the UN discussions with trying to get inspectors in Iraq to prevent war according to the Bush administration.  And far before the authorization from Congress.  We were moving so much supplies, tanks, humvees, weapons through Europe toward the Middle East that they made up their minds long before to invade   

They didn’t just stumble or listen to the evidence from the CIA.  They themselves forged and shaped that evidence to suit their agenda.  They knew there was no threat from Saddam against us, he was contained.  There was no real evidence of WMD’s, no Al Qaeda link with Saddam.  We still don’t even know Why the fuck they even invaded, never had an official investigation into it.  Which I blame the Dems for not holding them accountable when they came into power.  

What is it an estimated 300k Iraqis were killed, 4 thousand of our boys.  Many more of ours forever wounded mentally and physically.  Some 22 veterans killing themselves every single day, which of course many are Iraq Vets.  

Not to get pissed at you, more frustrated with this line of thinking and giving the Bush administration a free pass.  You did say they use the time in office to obtain wealth but then look at the no bid contracts to Cheney’s old company Halliburton.  

In my opinion the Bush people are war criminals and belong in prison.  Trump and his cronies are disgusting for many other reasons.  But both administrations are vile to the core.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, jamesdiego said:

I’ve seen this argued before that the Dems and Republicans both voted for it and are equally responsible.  That to me is a complete whitewash of history and a load of bullshit.  

Cheney was making trips everyday to pressure the CIA to link Iraq/ Saddam to Al Qaeda.  And to make up more and note outrageous claims about WMD’s.  Uranium from Africa nonsense.  The entirety of Colon Powell’s speech at the UN was bullshit and lies.  The Bush administration lied to Congress as well as to the American people about WMD’s.  

Many Democrats certainly could have had a stronger backbone and stood up to the administration more and questioned the claims.  But they were also getting fed lies as well about the hyped up threat level.  Bush mentioned a mushroom cloud at his state of the union speech.  There was all kinds of propaganda pushed by the neocons.   

The authorization passed by Congress was according to the Bush administration only necessary to pressure Saddam to let inspectors in/ give up the supposed weapons.   We could have used some more Bernie’s in there standing up against it for sure.  But to try and claim both sides are responsible for that war is nonsense.   

I was overseas in the military during the run up.  My buddy in the Air Force told me a full year before the war started that it was a certain we were invading and there will be war, before much of the UN discussions with trying to get inspectors in Iraq to prevent war according to the Bush administration.  And far before the authorization from Congress.  We were moving so much supplies, tanks, humvees, weapons through Europe toward the Middle East that they made up their minds long before to invade   

They didn’t just stumble or listen to the evidence from the CIA.  They themselves forged and shaped that evidence to suit their agenda.  They knew there was no threat from Saddam against us, he was contained.  There was no real evidence of WMD’s, no Al Qaeda link with Saddam.  We still don’t even know Why the fuck they even invaded, never had an official investigation into it.  Which I blame the Dems for not holding them accountable when they came into power.  

What is it an estimated 300k Iraqis were killed, 4 thousand of our boys.  Many more of ours forever wounded mentally and physically.  Some 22 veterans killing themselves every single day, which of course many are Iraq Vets.  

Not to get pissed at you, more frustrated with this line of thinking and giving the Bush administration a free pass.  You did say they use the time in office to obtain wealth but then look at the no bid contracts to Cheney’s old company Halliburton.  

In my opinion the Bush people are war criminals and belong in prison.  Trump and his cronies are disgusting for many other reasons.  But both administrations are vile to the core.  

Im not giving Bush a free pass. I never said "both sides were equally responsible." I said that congress authorized it. Many times in US history the US has done bad things, especially when it comes to military intervention. Our record post WWII is not stellar.

But if I have to compare them, Trump is worse than Bush. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Things I learned Biden will be getting rid of if elected. You might want to keep this in mind when you go to vote.

Suburbs

Churches

air conditioning

heat

and the ability to watch TV if there is no wind.

If this is true .,. wow

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Definitely a game changer, Im looking into how I can change my vote.

When I was told that Biden was gonna get rid of God, I was done right there and then.  Just despicable 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

There's a lot to this.

I know Biden supporters do not address these things that could happen under a Harris administration (some of us think Joe has shown signs of dementia and will be out within 3-6 months; I hope and pray that's not the case and we get the Obama administration Joe).

Here are Things I pray Harris does, but fears she and Pelosi and AOC will change drastically and maybe cause Texas to secede and maybe even cause Civil War-like disturbances. a.)please let people keep guns to protect themselves from mobs and those who want to harm them and their family members and rob them and burn down their homes. b.) go ahead and confiscate all  weapons of mass destruction owned by the public such as the rapid fire guns that nutjobs use in school shootings. c.) don't pack the court (ACB does not appear to be a bad choice and there's no reason to change the frickin Supreme Cour makeup, none; even Ruth was against that. c.) do not get rid of all prisons; we need to get innocent people out of there, but we need prisons for rapists, murderers, those who assault people, pedophiles and people like that.  d.) do not get rid of all police. People will commit crimes for the rest of time. We need police or the USA is done. Mobs will run the streets. Many radical politicians want to get rid of all police in favor of counselors who go discuss crime with the perpetrators. Bad idea. Very bad. e.) start enforcing the law against looters/arsonists/rioters.  e.) do not raise taxes unreasonably on the middle class; that will be so sad. f.) do not add states just to make sure the Democrat party will always have enough electoral votes to win the presidency. No need for that. g.) figure a COVID response that does not include a 2 month complete shutdown of America which I fear is coming

I do believe Texas will secede if the gun laws change drastically. Texas seceding will not be good. I do believe a Civil War is possible over some of the things I mentioned. I guess I'll hide in my basement a lot if things change the way some fear they will change under Harris/AOC/Nancy. Again I hope for the best. The Obama administration Joe is a good Joe.

I do wish Joe good luck. He seems to be a good man. I pray he is sharp enough and willing enough to not change the system so much that Texas secedes or we have a Civil War. p.s. Joe Rogan and others have mentioned some of my points. It's not just me rambling. Peace to all!!! We can get along even if we disagree in the greatest nation around!

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

There's a lot to this.

I know Biden supporters do not address these things that could happen under a Harris administration (some of us think Joe has shown signs of dementia and will be out within 3-6 months; I hope and pray that's not the case and we get the Obama administration Joe).

Here are Things I pray Harris does, but fears she and Pelosi and AOC will change drastically and maybe cause Texas to secede and maybe even cause Civil War-like disturbances. a.)please let people keep guns to protect themselves from mobs and those who want to harm them and their family members and rob them and burn down their homes. b.) go ahead and confiscate all  weapons of mass destruction owned by the public such as the rapid fire guns that nutjobs use in school shootings. c.) don't pack the court (ACB does not appear to be a bad choice and there's no reason to change the frickin Supreme Cour makeup, none; even Ruth was against that. c.) do not get rid of all prisons; we need to get innocent people out of there, but we need prisons for rapists, murderers, those who assault people, pedophiles and people like that.  d.) do not get rid of all police. People will commit crimes for the rest of time. We need police or the USA is done. Mobs will run the streets. Many radical politicians want to get rid of all police in favor of counselors who go discuss crime with the perpetrators. Bad idea. Very bad. e.) start enforcing the law against looters/arsonists/rioters.  e.) do not raise taxes unreasonably on the middle class; that will be so sad. f.) do not add states just to make sure the Democrat party will always have enough electoral votes to win the presidency. No need for that. g.) figure a COVID response that does not include a 2 month complete shutdown of America which I fear is coming

I do believe Texas will secede if the gun laws change drastically. Texas seceding will not be good. I do believe a Civil War is possible over some of the things I mentioned. I guess I'll hide in my basement a lot if things change the way some fear they will change under Harris/AOC/Nancy.

I do wish Joe good luck. He seems to be a good man. I pray he is sharp enough and willing enough to not change the system so much that Texas secedes or we have a Civil War. p.s. Joe Rogan and others have mentioned some of my points. It's not just me rambling. Peace to all!!! We can get along even if we disagree in the greatest nation around!

If the GOP didnt want the Supreme Court to be packed they should have voted on Merrick Garland, they should have not abolished the 60 vote requirement for SC judges and they should not voted for ACB.

3 strikes you are out. 

• Like 2