2020/2021 NCAA Basketball Thread

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It had nothing to do with a lack of intensity. Did they lack intensity against a bad Drexel team? Great defensive teams (like Loyola) tend to make good offensive teams look lethargic. No different than what a great pitcher does to a great lineup in baseball.

Loyola does play good defense, but Illinois still beat themselves. They played uninspired on the defensive end, even called out by the CBS crew, and were careless with the ball. When a center is stripping an All American guard twice out on the floor, it isn’t coaching, it is the All American not mentally where he needed to be. 

The consensus seems to be this will be the end of Porter Moser at Loyola. I think the guy can really coach, I just wonder if he will be able to recruit enough if he lands a huge job. DePaul keeps being mentioned. Apparently they can pay more than Loyola, but if I were him and my choice was DePaul or Loyola, I think I would stay. 

The other thing I am wondering if when he was recruiting Krutwig, if he told him he would go to 2 Sweet 16s and at least on Final Four if he signed with Loyola. If he did, they would have thought he was a whackado.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The consensus seems to be this will be the end of Porter Moser at Loyola. I think the guy can really coach, I just wonder if he will be able to recruit enough if he lands a huge job. DePaul keeps being mentioned. Apparently they can pay more than Loyola, but if I were him and my choice was DePaul or Loyola, I think I would stay. 

The other thing I am wondering if when he was recruiting Krutwig, if he told him he would go to 2 Sweet 16s and at least on Final Four if he signed with Loyola. If he did, they would have thought he was a whackado.

I would expect he will have more options than this, and much better options than DePaul, likely another Big East school a bit to the north, and maybe a Big 10-20 team or 2 calling.

Your point about DePaul v. Loyola is spot on though.  

Edited by turnin' two

Cunningham was looking to be the big "breakout" star of this whole thing.

Looks like Abmas (NCAA leading score) and his partner in mayhem on ORU are going to steal the spotlight, along with Sister Jean.

That said, I wouldn't count OK State out yet.

Really wish De'Vion Harmon was able to play for OU against Gonzaga.  That would at least give them a legit test.   Who knows, teams playing without one of their best players can sometimes rise to the occasion, but doubt OU has the scoring firepower to go toe to toe with Gonzaga's trio.

Can't really get behind cheering for UCLA or Syracuse.

ORU, Loyola, Abilene Christian and Oregon State would be a lot more fun.   Also, unfortunately that Drake wasn't playing at full strength, but anytime you break a fifty year winning drought in the NCAA's has to be a cause of celebration, even if it was "just" a play-in game.

6 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Curbelo is impressive but the guard that’s impressed me the most this tournament is the kid from Ohio U, Preston. Holy smokes, that kid can handle the rock. I didn’t see the game when they played Illinois earlier this season but apparently he was the best player on the court in that game too.

Isaiah Miller from UNC-Greensboro has been one of the most impressive athletes in the tourney...

PAC-12 now 7-0 in the tourney, if you count Oregon's walkover against VCU.

NET RANKINGS

15 Colorado

19 USC

33 Oregon

44 Arizona (ineligible)

46 UCLA

91 Oregon State

Edited by caulfield12

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Loyola does play good defense, but Illinois still beat themselves. They played uninspired on the defensive end, even called out by the CBS crew, and were careless with the ball. When a center is stripping an All American guard twice out on the floor, it isn’t coaching, it is the All American not mentally where he needed to be. 

You’re still not giving Loyola the credit they deserve. Watch this video and you will have a better appreciation for the brilliance of Moser and Loyola’s D. And Krut stripping the ball from opposing guards isn’t anything new. Been doing it his entire college career.

10 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I would expect he will have more options than this, and much better options than DePaul, likely another Big East school a bit to the north, and maybe a Big 10-20 team or 2 calling.

Your point about DePaul v. Loyola is spot on though.  

Moser is the hottest name to come out of a mid major program since Brad Stevens at Butler. To think he won’t have (and likely already has previously) multiple offers from power conference teams and possibly even an NBA team in the near future is shortsighted. If Underwood can get a solid Big Ten offer, people don’t think Moser can land an even better offer? LOL

46 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

MVC moves to 3-1 in the NCAA Tournament this year and 22-14 since 2010. Time to start paying respect to mid-major conferences like the MVC.

One of Mosers better qualities is recruiting the kids that the big boys are ignoring and also getting some high level players transferring out of big programs.  That really started with Milton Doyle and Clayton Custer, and he just keeps doing it.

and yea, some big time programs are gonna be coming for him soon

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

One of Mosers better qualities is recruiting the kids that the big boys are ignoring and also getting some high level players transferring out of big programs.  That really started with Milton Doyle and Clayton Custer, and he just keeps doing it.

I didn’t realize until yesterday that Custer is on his staff. Could definitely see him as the heir apparent.

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Pretty impressive he got Custer away from Creighton, Missouri, SW Mo State, Wichita State and even KU (did they even recruit him?)

It’s basically the modus operandi for Iowa basketball and football.

Garza was around #150 out of high school.  Keegan Murray was lightly recruited despite his dad being a McDonald’s All American.   Recently, only Joe Weiskamp and Tyler Cook, and McCaffrey’s son Patrick were top 100 guys.  CJ Frederick was overlooked by all the top Indiana schools.  Same with Jack Nunge, who was having a breakout season before his second major knee injury.  Heck, add Tony Perkins, too.

They lost DJ Carton to OSU/Marquette and Xavier Foster to Iowa State.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Moser is the hottest name to come out of a mid major program since Brad Stevens at Butler. To think he won’t have (and likely already has previously) multiple offers from power conference teams and possibly even an NBA team in the near future is shortsighted. If Underwood can get a solid Big Ten offer, people don’t think Moser can land an even better offer? LOL

He can definitely coach. I wonder if his stint at ISU would be held against him, and you always have to wonder when guys move up in class, if they can land the next class of player. See Licklighter, Todd. 

15 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

This kind of stuff is annoying.  This wasn’t some monumental upset.  Any stat based site you want to look at has Loyola in the top 10 and they’re the best defensive team in the country.  And that game was a domination from the beginning, the Illinois didn’t have their heads in the game excuse is silly.  Loyola is just that good.  

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He can definitely coach. I wonder if his stint at ISU would be held against him, and you always have to wonder when guys move up in class, if they can land the next class of player. See Licklighter, Todd. 

Yeah, there is risk for sure, but that's true with pretty much any coach.  You have Beilein and Matta out there, with big time experience and midwest ties, but there are what, 4 (Marquette, DePaul, Indiana and Minnesota) off the top of my head big conference teams looking for coaches in the Midwest right now.  Moser has to be the top of the mid-major pyramid.  

22 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

This kind of stuff is annoying.  This wasn’t some monumental upset.  Any stat based site you want to look at has Loyola in the top 10 and they’re the best defensive team in the country.  And that game was a domination from the beginning, the Illinois didn’t have their heads in the game excuse is silly.  Loyola is just that good.  

Yup we got punched in the face and Loyola didn't let up all game.  If they played 10 times I honestly think Loyola would pretty close to split them, that defense is NASTY.

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He last coached at ISU 15 years ago when he was in his mid 30s. If anything, landing an MVC head coaching job that early in your career would be a plus not a minus imo.

12 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, there is risk for sure, but that's true with pretty much any coach.  You have Beilein and Matta out there, with big time experience and midwest ties, but there are what, 4 (Marquette, DePaul, Indiana and Minnesota) off the top of my head big conference teams looking for coaches in the Midwest right now.  Moser has to be the top of the mid-major pyramid.  

Or wait one more year for ND, although Loyola’s likely to have a somewhat down year losing their two best players.

Licklighter (responding to Dick Allen) rode the coattails of coaches and recruiters before him, basically.  The crazy thing is he was a National Coach of the Year at Butler.

And to think Brad Stevens was actually in his (Licklighter’s) car on the way to Iowa to join Lick as his top assistant when he got a call from the Butler AD asking if he would come in for an interview to be the next Butler head coach. Had Stevens come to Iowa we might have been good.

I remember the first time I met Lick. It was right after he was hired and he came to a Polk County I-Club golf event in Des Moines. I happened to be working on the I-Club board at that time.

I am not a fan of public speaking, nor am I a huge fan of making small talk with people. That being said, compared to Lick I seemed like Nancy Grace.

He was so uncomfortable talking with people and when they asked him to get on stage and give a brief send off to the golfers it was one of the most uncomfortable moments I have experienced. I almost felt sorry for the guy. My absolute first thought was how does a guy this media bashful get to be the head coach at a Big 10 program - especially in a state where Iowa athletics are THE show in town.

Lick NEVER connected with the fans. All around, his brief stint in Iowa City will go down as one of the worst coaching hires in U of I history ... On paper, his resume looked great ... But it's sort of like we hired a guy to run the IT department ... only to learn he's just really good at video games.

from Hawkeye Report

Fired in the last few years by Marian (IN) University....

https://www.thegazette.com/2011/04/05/transfer-wheel-keeps-spinning-with-iowa-basketball

It should be noted that Licklighter lost Aaron Fuller to USC, Cody Larson to Florida and Ben Brust to Wisconsin...those were all legit D-1 recruits.

11 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Yup we got punched in the face and Loyola didn't let up all game.  If they played 10 times I honestly think Loyola would pretty close to split them, that defense is NASTY.

Ya, like just a bad matchup for Illinois.  This Illini team is awesome but as others have said the valley always annoys teams in the tournament and this is the best team since the 1 seed Wichita team.  Loyola is REALLY good.  

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

Ya, like just a bad matchup for Illinois.  This Illini team is awesome but as others have said the valley always annoys teams in the tournament and this is the best team since the 1 seed Wichita team.  Loyola is REALLY good.  

A lot of the advanced metrics have them as even better than the 2018 version.

NET or BPI, KenPom or Sagarin, one of them has Loyola around #10 in the country.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

A lot of the advanced metrics have them as even better than the 2018 version.

NET or BPI, KenPom or Sagarin, one of them has Loyola around #10 in the country.

and had Colgate at 9, illinois at 3 and ohio st at 8. I don't think advanced metrics were any more impressive than anything else this year, it was just a very weird year and now there's a tournament where weird things happen and people will work backwards to find what shows it was going to happen that way.

Just now, bmags said:

and had Colgate at 9, illinois at 3 and ohio st at 8. I don't think advanced metrics were any more impressive than anything else this year, it was just a very weird year and now there's a tournament where weird things happen and people will work backwards to find what shows it was going to happen that way.

Net had Colgate high but Kenpom didn’t.  It’s usually really tough for mid majors given their schedules to be high on kenpom and Loyola is 7 right now and has been top 10 all year.