Tony LaRussa to plead guilty to lesser charge

southsider2k5

57 minutes ago, daggins said:

That statement is really embarrassing. They should have just released a statement directly from JR that just said "It's my team and I can do whatever the fuck I want" and it would have at least been more brief.

Yeah, it kind of sucks for the PR department that they have to try to justify this hiring in the wake of this shit when we all know Jerry is the only one who wants Tony here.

44 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well that is true. But we don't know if his plan was to wait until the matter was resolved. Some lawyers tell their clients to wait to see how the case plays out before doing something like that, even if they want to get help. But believe me, had TLR gotten help people would just say he was doing so to get off easy or to get the job. This is a lose-lose situation for him anyway. I'm also pretty sure the Sox evaluated him mentally before officially hiring him and will help him make the best decision to get better. Especially since a part of their success is in Tony's hands. 

I'd say with some confidence that this evaluation took the form of "Jerry says it's no big deal and we aren't allowed to ask about it any more, so tell someone to start writing up the press release."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd say with some confidence that this evaluation took the form of "Jerry says it's no big deal and we aren't allowed to ask about it any more, so tell someone to start writing up the press release."

Rick Hahn admitted as much when he copped to stopping the interview process with other candidates after TLR emerged from this.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm saying they wanted to see if he was an alcoholic or something. They wouldn't hire him if they felt his drinking or manners would be destructive. I mean it could end up being that way, but they definitely looked at his mental before the hiring. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm saying they wanted to see if he was an alcoholic or something. They wouldn't hire him if they felt his drinking or manners would be destructive. I mean it could end up being that way, but they definitely looked at his mental before the hiring. 

Using the pronoun "they" indicates multiple people were involved here. Seeing what Rick Hahn said about what happened to the interview process once JR connected with TLR,  I see no way that anything that anyone else had to say would have mattered.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is he related to the more famous manager who shares the same last name?

Its his son. He worked for the Dodgers and Mets.  Got fired both places but not for being an entitled brat 99.9% of the time would be the case.Graduated from the same school as Trump. Then became a Marine. Interesting guy, definitely has a grudge .

Would be wild if this started a feud with Terry, but holding a parent accountable for their offsprings tweets wouldn't be sincere especially since Mr.Legit has 2 daughters from his first marriage he refuses to admit exist.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Using the pronoun "they" indicates multiple people were involved here. Seeing what Rick Hahn said about what happened to the interview process once JR connected with TLR,  I see no way that anything that anyone else had to say would have mattered.  

When I say they I mean the Sox organization in general. JR made the hire but again, I'm sure he spoke with medical folks and lawyers to get a feel for where TLR was at. He knew TLR had 2 DUI cases at the point of hiring. No way he didn't look into it further. From a baseball perspective, TLR has proven he can win spanning 3 different decades, but we shall see how he handles the clubhouse. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

When I say they I mean the Sox organization in general. JR made the hire but again, I'm sure he spoke with medical folks and lawyers to get a feel for where TLR was at. He knew TLR had 2 DUI cases at the point of hiring. No way he didn't look into it further. From a baseball perspective, TLR has proven he can win spanning 3 different decades, but we shall see how he handles the clubhouse. 

Again there was a whole process that was happening, which was brought to a halt when Jerry latched on to Tony.  Rick was fully planning a longer and more engaged process, which was shutdown because he knew Jerry had his guy.  It sure didn't sound to me like anyone else in the franchise felt like Tony was their guy, and they wanted someone else.  Despite that feeling, Jerry did his own thing.

• Like 2

20th Century Black Sox Scandal: Eight players were charged with conspiracy to defraud during the 1919 World Series. All eight were acquitted in criminal court, but banned for life from MLB by Commissioner Landis.

21st Century Black Sox Scandal: One manager was charged a day before his hiring with driving under the influence of alcohol for the second time, after refusing a breathalyzer test, has his blood drawn hours later under court order with results of .093 BAC, significantly lower than it was at the time he drove his car into a curb, rendering it inoperable. Said manager plead guilty in criminal court, and was given a job for life by Chicago White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

img0966a.4335.jpg

1920: "Say it a'int so, Joe."

2020:  "What did you blow, Blatto?"

31 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

20th Century Black Sox Scandal: Eight players were charged with conspiracy to defraud during the 1919 World Series. All eight were acquitted in criminal court, but banned for life from MLB by Commissioner Landis.

21st Century Black Sox Scandal: One manager was charged a day before his hiring with driving under the influence of alcohol for the second time, after refusing a breathalyzer test, has his blood drawn hours later under court order with results of .093 BAC, significantly lower than it was at the time he drove his car into a curb, rendering it inoperable. Said manager plead guilty in criminal court, and was given a job for life by Chicago White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

img0966a.4335.jpg

1920: "Say it a'int so, Joe."

2020:  "What did you blow, Blatto?"

What a strange parallel, but at least it’s an improvement from the serial child molester comparison you made previously.

17 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Sure hope there is no plan to kick Tony upstairs after the season.

While most fans wish he is kicked to the curb, ASAP, as long as Jerry Reinsdorf is alive,  he will ensure his Veruca Salt gets what he wants.

MLB really needs a 25th Amendment, for owners and managers.

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Some people here want the team to lose rather than win if La Russa is the manager

True. 

I will guess that by April 1st they will be cheering like the rest of us.  I'm a big fan of character and setting the example. I also believe Tony deserves the HoF ring. We're just getting a guy before and after he was great. But I already reserved the name southsider2k20 for after the WS. 

• Like 1