Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

25 minutes ago, longshot7 said:

Just don't understand if a place makes one kind of food that is exquisite (hot dogs) - why would you EVER order anything else?

Therein lies the problem, the place you speak of has exquisite things to many people. A long time ago we took a field trip to Portillos. I was going to get my regular hot dog. My friend convinced me to try the beef and it changed my life. 

Burgers are so good too. If you're feeling like a slob the double bacon burger is where its at.

8 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Therein lies the problem, the place you speak of has exquisite things to many people. A long time ago we took a field trip to Portillos. I was going to get my regular hot dog. My friend convinced me to try the beef and it changed my life. 

Burgers are so good too. If you're feeling like a slob the double bacon burger is where its at.

I really need to make the two and a half hour roundtrip to the nearest branch.

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

FWIW, In Merkin's latest mailbag he did say that the Sox will be in attendance for Kluber's workout next week. 

Honestly, this would be the route I go.  If they were to add someone.

Call me crazy, but personally I want to see a Kopech/Crochet piggy back to round out the rotation....I think that may be too outside the box. 

I'd be fine with Gonzales if they go that route. Like someone said before, 180 innings and a sub 4 era out of your #4 or 5 starter?  I'll take that. 

36 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

FWIW, In Merkin's latest mailbag he did say that the Sox will be in attendance for Kluber's workout next week. 

I like this as well. Explore as many options as possible. He obviously knows the AL Central and can mentor the youngsters. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Marco Gonzales likely costs Madrigal and two other pieces in a deal. It’s a great contract. 

And once again the WhiteSox should do it, if they do I would have to assume they are gonna lock up either Kolten Wong or Tommy La Stella

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d think like Madrigal, Stiever and Heuer probably gets you Gonzales. I’d rather just sign Quintana 

Those are big second and third pieces, especially the guy from the current bullpen. We've got to be able to find a minor league piece as a 3rd piece that has value. Madrigal and Stiever + one more minor league piece for this pitcher, with that amount of control, I'm intrigued by if the money is there to sign LaStella. Could Sheets or Lambert fill Heuer's role? 

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Those are big second and third pieces, especially the guy from the current bullpen. We've got to be able to find a minor league piece as a 3rd piece that has value. Madrigal and Stiever + one more minor league piece for this pitcher, with that amount of control, I'm intrigued by if the money is there to sign LaStella. Could Sheets or Lambert fill Heuer's role? 

Not sure. I’m fairly confident the White Sox can develop another Heuer though regardless 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Not sure. I’m fairly confident the White Sox can develop another Heuer though regardless 

Maybe, but can they do it this year, when they're trying to win in 2021? Giving up Madrigal hurts the 2021 team but that's replaceable, and I understand why that's the top value piece that the Mariners would need. Giving up 2 pieces from the big league team? 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would the Mariners even want Madrigal with Long & Moore?

Not sure. He’s the type of profile Dipoto likes. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe, but can they do it this year, when they're trying to win in 2021? Giving up Madrigal hurts the 2021 team but that's replaceable, and I understand why that's the top value piece that the Mariners would need. Giving up 2 pieces from the big league team? 

Not sure. I know Heuer has been discussed in talks in general. I’m not really sure what exactly it’d be. Just threw a package out there. Gonzales is really good and cheap 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Not sure. He’s the type of profile Dipoto likes. 

Not sure. I know Heuer has been discussed in talks in general. I’m not really sure what exactly it’d be. Just threw a package out there. Gonzales is really good and cheap 

I just really don't like creating 2 holes on the big league roster in 1 move as a strategy in a year where we've got a legit shot and budget limitations. That just sounds like a bad setup to me, and one we should be able to avoid. 

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are some in the organization who are not in love with the way he does it.  He could be another Daniel Hudson.  

In terms of a couple years of injury, in terms of being traded in a deal the White Sox shouldn't have made, or in terms of getting the final out of the world series?

44 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d think like Madrigal, Stiever and Heuer probably gets you Gonzales. I’d rather just sign Quintana 

I agree. Plus the money you save by making this trade and not signing a Quintana or someone else you've lost by having to go sign a FA 2nd baseman.

Don't get me wrong I like Gonzales. And some of these others we're rumored to be attached to. And I like them more then the FA (except Bauer ) that are left. But if this is about cost savings and we have to trade another starter (Madrigal). Then I don't see the savings.

Edited by smellysox

30 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well you should have no reason to be.  The  last couple of RHPs the Sox internally developed who became difference makers for their pen were Perticka and Nate Jones.  And while both got hurt, both were difference makers, and if it was soooo easy to replace a Codi Heuer then that list would be a whole lot longer than it is.

I've seen the food turds suggest Tyler Johnson as a replacement for Heuer.  No.  Heuer is a unique find.  There aren't other guys in this system that are going to be replace him.  The players we have just are not that good.  And as always the general rule is that if there is anyone all that good in the system as a P he will be a SP first and only a RP after all else fails.

Re: the other comments about Daniel Hudson, he was a centerpiece for 1.5 years of Edwin Jackson.  Edwin had more talent than Hudson ever had.  While EJax didn't become the savior here, he was a quality SP, and Hudson was a future RP anyway who was at a very high point in trade value.  That deal was a solid deal even though Sox fans acted like babies over it for years.  There have been many more Sox deals which have been less logical/defensible which have not been b****ed about nearly half as much as the EJax deal.  BTW remember all of the crying and whining about the secondary piece, the LHP we sent along and how terrible that deal was?  And then remember when he came back and it was clear he was a 6th starter / garbage time guy?  Yeah we really got hosed in that deal... (we actually won the Jackson trade but don't tell Sox fans that; and it would have turned out better if KW traded EJax at the following deadline for straight prospects instead of using him to dump Mark Teahen's deal, speaking of indefensible trades the Sox have made).

Edited by YourWhatHurts

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I just really don't like creating 2 holes on the big league roster in 1 move as a strategy in a year where we've got a legit shot and budget limitations. That just sounds like a bad setup to me, and one we should be able to avoid. 

There's zero logic in making a move like that.

There are an abundance of FAs on the open market.  The Sox are in position to be at least a quality fallback option for most of these guys.  There is no reason not to sign a FA.

37 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are some in the organization who are not in love with the way he does it.  He could be another Daniel Hudson.  

If Heuer ends up getting TJ in the middle of this 6 years here then it will only bring down the back-end arb cost of his overall service.  Even 4 years of this guy pitching like he has been is worth a whole lot.  I mean, people on this forum want to give $13M+ X 4 years to a guy in his 30's with 1.375 excellent seasons in a row.  That's $52M for 4 years and if Heuer got hurt how much would those years cost?  Like $10M?  

Yeah this is elementary.  And as usual the foodies don't know shit about shit.  Sox won't dump Heuer off and if he's traded it'll be for a real difference maker.  Marco Gonzales is good but he's not that.

• Quin locked this topic