Cubs 2021

35thstreetswarm

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Giants can hold on but not sure they will. Dodgers have a lot of depth, and as the only truly competitive team not worrying about "luxury tax" bullshit, the resources to pick up anything at the trade deadline. Their one major weakness currently is the depth of quality bullpen arms, so I expect plenty of action on that front.

If they get Seager back at 100%, they should be fine.  Lux has been adequate, one step or tier up from Mendick, comparatively.

Betts has had a very pedestrian year for a former MVP, and they just got Bellinger back but his 15-20 games actually played were suboptimal.

Still not sure an aging Kershaw or Jansen can be counted on after a 162 game season, but they have proven doubters wrong before.

For the first 60-70 games, they’ve been forced to play 1-2 no name outfielders similar to what the Sox are running out there due to all the injuries.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bingo.

That's fine (unless they're willing to sell them to us).  But the Cubs brass already let Darvish go.  They see the writing on the wall.  I'm not convinced their moves will be dictated by fear of some fan revolt brought on by a few weeks of moderate Wisdom-mania.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

Cubs bullpen experiencing some regression right now. 8 given up by them in like 3 innings.

Tepera got hurt too. You just knew they weren't gonna keep up what they had going in May. 

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Tepera got hurt too. You just knew they weren't gonna keep up what they had going in May. 

Holy Crap, I have not been following them at all...I only occasionally look at the standings...I was surprised they were in 1st place what seems like not too long ago...now I see they are 5 games back of the Brewers.  Will the Cubbies go into sell mode after all to see what they can get for Bryant and Baez?  I assume they will try to resign Rizzo.

5 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Arrietta can’t hold a 7-run lead?  I think it’s obvious what’s happening even if nobody will say it.  His teammates’ vaccines have magnetized him.

He also got Patrick Wisdom (their hottest hitter right now) killed at 1B. 

15 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He also got Patrick Wisdom (their hottest hitter right now) killed at 1B. 

Too bad that Milwaukee starter couldn't get out of the 1st...does anyone remember that game that Buehrle gave up a bunch of runs (like 7 or 8 runs) in the 1st and the Sox came back to get him the W....against Toronto maybe?