Cubs 2021

35thstreetswarm

On paper, that offense for the Cubs doesn't look too bad.

The problem is on the pitching side.

At this point, it might be that the team has moved on and waiting for the inevitable teardown if Rizzo's not coming back.  Because that means with Bryant likely gone (perhaps holding out for a comp pick if they're somehow competing still in July and don't like the offers), then what's the point of trying to keep Baez and/or Contreras?

Jake Arrieta's on his last legs and he's their second starter.   Makes the White Sox "problems" with pitching look tame by comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cubs with a big May, but against the very bottom of MLB in Pittsburgh, Detroit, Washington, etc.  Stepping into a schedule buzzsaw now playing SD for two series, SF, Mets, Brewers, 4 at LA.  Will be interesting to see if they fall out despite playing in what's looking like a weak division.

19 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Cubs with a big May, but against the very bottom of MLB in Pittsburgh, Detroit, Washington, etc.  Stepping into a schedule buzzsaw now playing SD for two series, SF, Mets, Brewers, 4 at LA.  Will be interesting to see if they fall out despite playing in what's looking like a weak division.

Hopefully they keep hanging in there and use some resources to buy a few arms and keep Bryant and everyone else. Then in August their awful pitching is exposed and Bryant walks for free and Cubs start a rebuild on flat feet. 

On 6/1/2021 at 10:34 AM, 35thstreetswarm said:

Well, the Cubs are off to a good start with their sweep of San Diego.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The worst possible thing is happening for the cubs.  Their superstar free agents are performing to a level they had not recently but they do not have the pitching to sustain this.

Not sure their bullpen performance is sustainable but their rotation certainly is not playoff caliber.

They have a long way to go until the trading deadline. However, if they are still in first at that point....they'll get destroyed if they trade KB for prospects. 

But I think they can pull it off with the fans even if they are 2-3 games out. Because I think this was the plan the entire time.....Jed anticipated re-stocking the farm with a few of these trades and I think the future becomes a lot harder for them if they "go for it" in 2021. 

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

They have a long way to go until the trading deadline. However, if they are still in first at that point....they'll get destroyed if they trade KB for prospects. 

But I think they can pull it off with the fans even if they are 2-3 games out. Because I think this was the plan the entire time.....Jed anticipated re-stocking the farm with a few of these trades and I think the future becomes a lot harder for them if they "go for it" in 2021. 

They better hope the Cardinals get healthy or the Brewers take off because all three look to be around 85-87 wins and the Reds seem to be hanging in there.

With Darvish and their current pen they walk away with the division. 

59 minutes ago, Tony said:

Its a best case scenario, they either piss off their fan base, or they push back their rebuild and make it more difficult.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its a best case scenario, they either piss off their fan base, or they push back their rebuild and make it more difficult.

I don't have a ton of die hard Cub fans in my circle, but the few I do have all said they looked at this year as a rebuilding year and realize 2021 isn't going to result in a World Series, so start the process. Now I know a ton of people won't embrace that idea and want to see Rizzo-Bryant-Javy-Contreras all stay forever but I do think if they fall in the standings a bit and aren't in first place by July 31, they can get away with trading a few core pieces and not get totally killed by the fanbase. We'll see.