White Sox are still a World Series Contender

vilehoopster

1 hour ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Maybe because no one can ever talk about a positive day or action or game without certain people. Downplaying it ten ways to Sunday. Like yeah it’s okay to be cautious, but baseball is an outlet it’s supposed to be an enjoyable escape. We don’t need someone bringing every single topic down or downplaying everything.

The ratio of Sox are great and world beaters vs I'm a little concerned about this team threads is 20/1. 

People presenting their thoughts shouldn't bring your enjoyment or topic down, and if you want only positive thoughts spoken about things you like get a life coach. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The ratio of Sox are great and world beaters vs I'm a little concerned about this team threads is 20/1. 

People presenting their thoughts shouldn't bring your enjoyment or topic down, and if you want only positive thoughts spoken about things you like get a life coach. 

VAFAN is already impersonating Tony Robbins, albeit without the goofy grin. 

On 3/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, vilehoopster said:

The bottom line is the White Sox are World Series contenders, without Eloy or if he returns, the Sox are still World Series contenders; and I said this before, that's all you can realistically and reasonably ask of ownership and management. 

This is the saddest line I've ever read from a White Sox fan. You've been stockholm syndrome'd.

Is a Wild Card contender a World Series contender? Yeah, technically. Is that all you can realistically and reasonably ask of ownership? 

The White Sox payroll right now is about $121,000,000, which is 15th in the MLB and almost exactly league average. Exactly ten years ago, it was $127,000,000. Is that what the fans earned for dealing with four years of bottom five payrolls? To get back up to league average? While literally DOZENS of useful veterans signed one-year deals at positions where the White Sox needed depth? Is this what Hahn meant when he said "the money will be spent?"

No, what you're witnessing here is utter BULLSHIT. Before the Sox embarked on this rebuild, we complained that the FO kept telling us it had a contender every year, when we could all see that it was only a contender if absolutely EVERYTHING went right. Now, on the other end of the rebuild, we are in EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION.

After years of collecting money with ~$50m payrolls, the Sox have chosen to watch AFFORDABLE players they need sign elsewhere rather than finish a paper thin roster that comes in at 15th in payroll.

There is no way to spin this as okay. This is an absolutely textbook bait and switch and it's EXACTLY what people are talking about when they complain about rich owners not giving a shit about their fans.

• Love 2
  • Fire 2

22 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

This is the saddest line I've ever read from a White Sox fan. You've been stockholm syndrome'd.

Is a Wild Card contender a World Series contender? Yeah, technically. Is that all you can realistically and reasonably ask of ownership? 

The White Sox payroll right now is about $121,000,000, which is 15th in the MLB and almost exactly league average. Exactly ten years ago, it was $127,000,000. Is that what the fans earned for dealing with four years of bottom five payrolls? To get back up to league average? While literally DOZENS of useful veterans signed one-year deals at positions where the White Sox needed depth? Is this what Hahn meant when he said "the money will be spent?"

No, what you're witnessing here is utter BULLSHIT. Before the Sox embarked on this rebuild, we complained that the FO kept telling us it had a contender every year, when we could all see that it was only a contender if absolutely EVERYTHING went right. Now, on the other end of the rebuild, we are in EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION.

After years of collecting money with ~$50m payrolls, the Sox have chosen to watch AFFORDABLE players they need sign elsewhere rather than finish a paper thin roster that comes in at 15th in payroll.

There is no way to spin this as okay. This is an absolutely textbook bait and switch and it's EXACTLY what people are talking about when they complain about rich owners not giving a shit about their fans.

Jesus how about you crazy folk just let normal people enjoy baseball and you can go run off with the other crazy people. 

6 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Jesus how about you crazy folk just let normal people enjoy baseball and you can go run off with the other crazy people. 

The White Sox haven't won 90 games since 2006. You been enjoying all that great baseball?

Normal people enjoy losing? Interesting stuff, I had no idea. I personally watch sports because I like when my team wins. Losing really isn't much fun.

• Thanks 2

Just the fact that we're talking about crazy shit like playing Lamb at 3B and moving Moncada to LF shows how vulnerable this team is right now.

We're not even considering if Collins/Vaughn don't hit (Collins is getting close to "expendable" now, regardless) and the psychological implications of running a player out there for a World Series contender who couldn't be more ill-suited for the position (who's supposed to be a generational bat)...and three other key players all likely overcompensating to cover for him, and the likelihood of another injury occurring.

Scott Merkin can tout a six deep rotation (which includes Kopech somehow), but they're incredibly vulnerable if one of the top 3 pitchers goes down.

While that's true for nearly any other team in baseball, the big spending teams won't hesitate to go out and make a move or take on additional payroll to fix the hole.

Whereas we tend to "half ass" it to the trade deadline when oftentimes pennants can be lost in the first 1/3rd or 1/2 of a season.

It's embarrassing with all the money coming in with the NBCSportsChicago (well, whatever it's now called)...at the very least, we're a Top 8-12 team in MLB local broadcasting rights (Fangraphs put us at #3 with $120 million per season or $750k per game) rights and this is the best we can.

Losing Jimenez, Engel and Cordero isn't going to kill this team...but we're on a precarious slope.

The irony is that the White Sox have a better chance of winning their division than the Padres do, despite SD doing everything possible to win, the Dodgers have just been THAT good.

Meanwhile, the White Sox kind of meander along with their middling/mediocre approach...a middling/mediocre farm system again, and just kinda hope for the best.

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox haven't won 90 games since 2006. You been enjoying all that great baseball?

Normal people enjoy losing? Interesting stuff, I had no idea. I personally watch sports because I like when my team wins. Losing really isn't much fun.

This enjoy the ballpark/ambience thing only works for Cubs' fans pre-2016, PTAC and maybe Texsox.

The rest of us are desperate for another extended playoff run.

Not to mention the fans who have been around a long time remember 1994, the White Flag trade...the scars are less of a problem than confronting a similar environment with Covid-19 spending depressed, then the looming CBA showdown, then the potential losses of Giolito/Anderson.

Right now, the window is only "clearly open" through these three seasons, and we're already taking a significant hit to the offense with Jimenez down.

Perhaps, in the end, opening up that opportunity for Vaughn/Collins will prove to have been worth it...and Jimenez will come back with a totally different mindset about how he approaches the game, but that's not usually what has happened if you look at White Sox history.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No but we finally have a good team that will win a ton of games this year and you guys sit here crying all day. Jesus why even watch or talk about it 

4 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

No but we finally have a good team that will win a ton of games this year and you guys sit here crying all day. Jesus why even watch or talk about it 

And yet MANY of the fans crowing about how good our team will jump off the bandwagon and disappear from Game Threads if the season doesn't go as expected or predicted.

Now there's a number of reasons to avoid a GT, but if you look at 2017-2019, there were a number of games that barely had 2-3 pages.

I don’t get it. If Eloy had a great year, in my mind, with his defensive liabilities being a minus, and with his not stellar walk rate and his lower obp, I was penciling him in for a max of 3.5-4 wins. I thought his floor was 2.5-3. He may even get .5-1 win coming back in August if that’s I think we are in a position given the depth to replace his production at about 1-5-2 wins overall.

It seems like we lost probably about 2 wins, maybr 2.5, maybe even less than that. I don’t think it drastically alters the White Sox considering we have so many contributors. 

10 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

The team is projected to be as good as some of the pre-rebuild teams that needed everything to go right to win. That's the point being made by the poster you blasted.

We weren't supposed to need everything to go right to make the playoffs after 4 years of tanking. The Sox on opening day are starting a guy whose never played above A ball and has never played the OF in LF, a DH who has a career wRC+ of 63 in limited playing time, and a RF who was arguably the worst outfielder in baseball last year. In addition, their 4th and 5th rotation spots are filled by one guy who was one of the five worst pitchers in baseball last year, and another who hasn't been healthy since 2016 and hasn't been solid since 2018.

Their bullpen is lights out. Their infield is very good. The Sox COULD be very good because Vaughn could be very good, and maybe Collins has figured it out, and maybe Cease won't be completely awful... but MAYBE fans are sick of having to rely on MAYBE's when they were told after the rebuild they wouldn't have to put faith in Maybes anymore?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don’t get it. If Eloy had a great year, in my mind, with his defensive liabilities being a minus, and with his not stellar walk rate and his lower obp, I was penciling him in for a max of 3.5-4 wins. I thought his floor was 2.5-3. He may even get .5-1 win coming back in August if that’s I think we are in a position given the depth to replace his production at about 1-5-2 wins overall.

It seems like we lost probably about 2 wins, maybr 2.5, maybe even less than that. I don’t think it drastically alters the White Sox considering we have so many contributors. 

Except there's no way to state clearly the impact having one of our three best offensive contributors will have on the rest of the line-up.   It's not as easy as plugging Danny Mendick in there and saying he should be a 2ish fWAR contributor out in LF, and couldn't be worse than Jimenez or Vaughn defensively.

Line-up "protection" is debated to death around here, but it remains to be seen what the overall impact is on guys like Abreu and Grandal.

Who knows, maybe Robert rises to the challenge and asserts himself as a 4-6 hitter instead of a #7 with reduced pressure on him to produce...?

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This goes back to the fundamental reason of why people are fans. Are you a fan of baseball,  the White Sox or winning. 

Can you enjoy a game without your team winning?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This goes back to the fundamental reason of why people are fans. Are you a fan of baseball,  the White Sox or winning. 

Can you enjoy a game without your team winning?

People who enjoy the game of baseball don't enjoy watching it being player poorly imo.

I watch a lot of baseball, but I prefer to watch Dodgers v Braves, not KC vs Pitt. I don't think that's very complicated. If you enjoyed watching Charlie Tilson and Matt Skole I'd argue you're not much of a fan of the game at all.

I never heard of a party being thrown to celebrate the enjoyment of a 75 win season. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People who enjoy the game of baseball don't enjoy watching it being player poorly imo.

I watch a lot of baseball, but I prefer to watch Dodgers v Braves, not KC vs Pitt. I don't think that's very complicated. If you enjoyed watching Charlie Tilson and Matt Skole I'd argue you're not much of a fan of the game at all.

I never heard of a party being thrown to celebrate the enjoyment of a 75 win season. 

I just think if we win you guys will complain. If we lose you will say u told you so. You’re  just miserable.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

To each his own.

I would argue that someone who can't enjoy the game played by minor leaguers who have no chance to make it or high school players aren't fans of the game. 

I appreciate the best but realize that isn't everyone. When I was employed by pro teams or international amateurs, I had a true stake in it. More money, travel experiences. But as a fan only its the enjoyment of the game. Of course I want them to win more and want to see extended winning seasons. But I will always be a season ticket holder to enjoy the game.

Losing Eloy hurts but I think that maybe costs the team like 2.5 wins or so. 

With eloy:

LF:Eloy: 3 war, DH:Vaughn: 2 war= 5

Without Eloy 

LF: Vaughn 1.5 war (defense hurts him more than DH penalty most likely), DH: collins/yermin: 1 war=2.5

Sox should still be able to at least get s WC spot if not win the division with 2.5 wins less, the twins and Indians will have injuries too.