Will Hahn be more active this deadline?

Dominikk85

I hope Hahn will not sit on his ass this deadline again. 

I certainly support don’t breaking the bank and keep the top5 prospects but the market for rentals has been very cheap the last years.

Thus I would hope he gets at least two rentals this deadline (a 2b and a relief pitcher). Just keep the major leaguers and young high upside prospects like Kelley and Bailey and be aggressive in shipping away the 22-25 yo prospects which are not top 100 and haven't made the majors yet. 

With a very good team and more certainty (ie not a shortened / COVID lockdown season) I am sure he will be more active. As far as what kinds of moves are made, i'm sure he'll give his same speech about "the long term vision for this franchise", but he should absolutely be looking at guys on expiring contracts to patch the roster.

• Like 2

I 100% do not support the Sox draining what is left of the interesting guys on the farm just to acquire some guy who is maybe an equal or lesser version that the guys we already have here or who are coming back.  E.g. why give up a ton to try to replace Robert?  Same with Eloy.  Why give up a lot for a RP also who is probably worse than Codi Heuer if/when Codi gets it back together?  Etc.

Mendick is fine as a Madrigal replacement.

Eduardo Escobar is a great add and probably inevitable.  Someone who can be acquired cheaply, add pop, cover a few positions, etc. that is a great get.  Also a spot starter to replace one of the garbage men is a good call, but only if it is really cheap.

Lambert IMO looked good overall last time out in MLB.  He might even be an answer.  Burr might even be an improvement over Marshall.  We already might have some help here

It's not like we are playing in a division with the Rays, Red Sox and Yankees.  Or with the Dodgers and Padres, etc.  The Twins are the guppies and CLE's cheapass FO is still just hoping to hit a swoon and dump salary.  For all of the bad fortune with injuries this year, there is a lot of good fortune in playing in a division where 2 teams aren't trying at all, 1 is half-assing it at best, and the other who was supposed to challenge us fell on their faces right off the starting line and still haven't gotten back up.  Of all of the years where there is reason to hold onto the better-looking/more interesting pieces, this is one.

That said I expect a couple smaller deals.  Eduardo will come back here as one of them.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I 100% do not support the Sox draining what is left of the interesting guys on the farm just to acquire some guy who is maybe an equal or lesser version that the guys we already have here or who are coming back.  E.g. why give up a ton to try to replace Robert?  Same with Eloy.  Why give up a lot for a RP also who is probably worse than Codi Heuer if/when Codi gets it back together?  Etc.

Mendick is fine as a Madrigal replacement.

Eduardo Escobar is a great add and probably inevitable.  Someone who can be acquired cheaply, add pop, cover a few positions, etc. that is a great get.  Also a spot starter to replace one of the garbage men is a good call, but only if it is really cheap.

Lambert IMO looked good overall last time out in MLB.  He might even be an answer.  Burr might even be an improvement over Marshall.  We already might have some help here

It's not like we are playing in a division with the Rays, Red Sox and Yankees.  Or with the Dodgers and Padres, etc.  The Twins are the guppies and CLE's cheapass FO is still just hoping to hit a swoon and dump salary.  For all of the bad fortune with injuries this year, there is a lot of good fortune in playing in a division where 2 teams aren't trying at all, 1 is half-assing it at best, and the other who was supposed to challenge us fell on their faces right off the starting line and still haven't gotten back up.  Of all of the years where there is reason to hold onto the better-looking/more interesting pieces, this is one.

That said I expect a couple smaller deals.  Eduardo will come back here as one of them.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist but I think I have to.

This appears to be the year in which the Sox have to try to win the World Series. The starting pitching will never be as good or as cheap as it is now.

Escobar and Iglesias (Angels RP) would be huge gets and the Sox should do whatever they have to do to get them or the equivalent.

Escobar may not have the on base skills of some on the team but he would easily be leading the Sox in HR's. Getting him should be a no brainer. Switch hitting power guy who can play 2nd, 3rd and SS in a pinch and a free agent after the year. He's a rental which is perfect.

The season is basically over for Madrigal. Sorry Danny I love ya but the Sox have needs to fill and you don't fit the bill . The need for LH power to upgrade the Sox record against RHSP is a true necessity as is relief pitching. Do whatever you must to upgrade. The future is now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what the Arizona GM situation means for them between now and the deadline.  Find it hard to believe they’ll move Ketel Marte with a sub in that chair, but maybe Escobar.  He mostly plays third for AZ.  Is he even adequate at second anymore?

25 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I wonder what the Arizona GM situation means for them between now and the deadline.  Find it hard to believe they’ll move Ketel Marte with a sub in that chair, but maybe Escobar.  He mostly plays third for AZ.  Is he even adequate at second anymore?

The D-Backs will move all their guys on expiring deals regardless of who is GM, but I agree it probably takes Marte off the table.

As for Escobar, he’s made 20 starts at 2B this year and the advanced metrics really like his defense there.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The D-Backs will move all their guys on expiring deals regardless of who is GM, but I agree it probably takes Marte off the table.

As for Escobar, he’s made 20 starts at 2B this year and the advanced metrics really like his defense there.

Awesome.  Seems like a good fit.

• Like 1