GT 8/22: SOX @ TB, 12:10

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

6 mil for even a 1 WAR second baseman, is almost automatically going to be an option exercised.

Hernandez hasn't done well in the FA market when he's out there. Teams seem to value the ~1.5-3 WAR 2B lower than dollars per war would suggest they should. I think he'll be back too, but the team should be aiming higher there and I hope they do.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not if they can acquire someone they like more for similar (EE)

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hernandez hasn't done well in the FA market when he's out there. Teams seem to value the ~1.5-3 WAR 2B lower than dollars per war would suggest they should. I think he'll be back too, but the team should be aiming higher there and I hope they do.

Yeah, I'm not of the opinion that bringing Hernandez back, is the best idea, just figuring on what the FO will do. His WAR has been on a steady decline for a while now, and it is hard to know what player he is going to be: the one with low AVG, med-high power, or the one with med AVG, no power.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not if they can acquire someone they like more for similar (EE)

I prefer Escobar too, but he's still a similar caliber player and doesn't solve the issue of this team falling off a cliff when TA isn't playing. It sounds like they were interested in Story before the deadline and there's definitely a chance he ends up having to sign a 1 year deal like Semien did to rebuild his value.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

They won’t bring Cesar back if he struggles like this.  Way too many middle infield options available this offseason.

Wonder if they'll buy low on Gavin Lux. Dude has basically been a utility player for the Dodgers and it seems he's fallen out of favor. 

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The good news if he’s back would mean he turned this slump around. No way they bring him back if he hits .200 with no power the rest of the way

49 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Doesn't make it any less frustrating, and like Fathom said, I'm sure Vaughn's exit velo numbers go way down with RISP... but... no hitter as good as Vaughn will ever sustain a .217 BABIP over an extended period of time. He only has 102 PA's this year with RISP. In the grand scheme of things, that's nothing. Vaughn is clearly pressing up there, but the strikeouts not spiking is a good sign. His pitch recognition is good and he'll eventually start doing damage in RISP like he does in every other situation. Hopefully it starts happening soon.

He still swung at a ball four slider with ducks in the pond in this game.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I prefer Escobar too, but he's still a similar caliber player and doesn't solve the issue of this team falling off a cliff when TA isn't playing. It sounds like they were interested in Story before the deadline and there's definitely a chance he ends up having to sign a 1 year deal like Semien did to rebuild his value.

Story should be able to find a place to play SS for though.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not true at all, they preferred Escobar but were scared of his medical issue

Hernandez having a "cheap" team option and EE heading towards free agency played a factor too, I'd imagine. One of the first words out of Hahn's mouth after the trade was announced is that he didn't just view him as a 1 year solution.

Edited by maxjusttyped

10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hernandez having a "cheap" team option and EE heading towards free agency played a factor too, I'd imagine. One of the first words out of Hahn's mouth after the trade was announced is that he didn't just view him as a 1 year solution.

They need to get a RF in the offseason.

Edited by maloney.adam

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Hahn’s got a lot of work to do in the offseason. 

Hahn is part of the problem.

His skillset doesn't lie in the field of evaluation of sports talent.

No owner will ever make him President or EVP.

Better off at Amazon than 35th and Shields.

Edited by GradMc
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Crochet needed to get Phillips out.  The intentional walk was the right move.  Cruz the other night, same thing.

Guys need to do their job. 

The whining about LaRussa is justified at times but today it's a lack of offense as it was yesterday and for most of Friday.  Tampa started shit pitchers and the offense did nothing. 

Maybe the offense needs to do something.  

Our offense has been dead today.  In hindsight, we should have traded for a Joey Gallo, instead of Kimbrel.  We already had a lot of relievers, but have big holes in the corner outfield defense and needing more LH pop.  Eloy D today was not good on short fly balls and Goodwin was his usual self, failing to catch the 3 run double.  Engel or Hamilton could have possibly have caught it.  Vaughn a bid dud offensively with RSVP again.   This game today is an embarrassment.  TA should try to shake the cobwebs out of our guys with his leadership.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Story should be able to find a place to play SS for though.

He'd still get ~20 starts per year there when TA sits for maintenance days and anything beyond that if there's an IL stint like we've seen in each of the last 3 years. He'd definitely get enough reps out there to show handling the position wouldn't be an issue.

Maybe Story will be the fa SS who gets squeezed out, perhaps it'll be Baez, but I believe it's going to happen to one of them. I think having the opportunity to hit in a great lineup, on a contender, in a hitters park, etc will be very appealing to a star player looking to prop up their value like what happened with Semien. I could also envision there being animosity between owners & the MLBPA after a new CBA being signed which could prevent teams from spending in the first year of the new CBA.

4 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Hahn is part of the problem.

His skillset doesn't lie in the field of evaluation of sports talent.

No owner will ever make him President or EVP.

Better off at Amazon than 35th and Shields.

Kimbrel trade was a dud.  Hahn paid a high price for a luxury nice to have but we already had many good relievers.  On the other hand, we needed more help in outfield defense and LH pop.  Go afterGallo instead. We have been exposed with guys like Goodwin playing regularly and botching plays in the OF continually.