GT 8/22: SOX @ TB, 12:10

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Team is now 1-5 in games TA hasn't played in since the ASB. We've scored a grand total of 13 runs in those 5 games. 

The lone win was mostly because Berrios got tired and completely lost it in the 7th inning of a double header. 

It’s inexcusable. I get that removing your MVP makes you a worse team. Obviously. But the extent to which they become worse is a little concerning.

43 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't really know what to make of Vaughn's RISP struggles. I can't find the splits with 2 outs and RISP, but with RISP overall, his strikeout rate is better than in non RISP situations and his pull rate is down significantly as well. It's obvious just from watching he seems to look uncomfortable in these situations, but nothing in the numbers really jumps out that he's doing wrong.

He’s 2 for 47 with 2 walks and 2 total RBI with 2 out RISP. With less than two outs and RISP he’s hitting like .360. He’s had some huge hits this year in non 2 out RISP spots, but this streak is becoming legendary a la Adam Dunn in 2011.

I still think Vaughn will be the best player of this whole bunch when it’s all said and done. 

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

There will also be Goodwin & Lamb equivalents available during/shortly after ST next year to add as 2B depth. They need a difference maker who can also cover for Tim at that spot.

I will believe they turn the page on Leury when I see it.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

There will also be Goodwin & Lamb equivalents available during/shortly after ST next year to add as 2B depth. They need a difference maker who can also cover for Tim at that spot.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I will believe they turn the page on Leury when I see it.

Yeah, there is a '22 Club option for Leury, almost guarantee he is back.

13 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

Maybe an embarrassing loss like this is the kick in the pants this team needs.  Stop listening to the media saying how good you are.  Right now there are several teams in the AL alone that are better.

We’ve said that several times now and it’s t hasn’t 

Just now, Capn12 said:

Leury works as a bench guy if you also have both of the following on your bench:

1) Someone who can play 2B/SS/3B that's a better hitter than Leury.

2) Someone who can play all 3 outfield positions that's a better hitter than Leury.

That we he's never the first backup at any position. You have to be two guys down before you have to start him.

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

Decline Cesar's option and keeping Leury in a utility role is fine.

Realistically, because Jerry owns the team, they probably will just keep Hernandez and be content with a C+ at 2B like we saw them do with RF last winter. But I'm hoping a division title and a huge demand for season tickets next year will get Jerry to spend at a position where this team NEEDS an upgrade.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Realistically, because Jerry owns the team, they probably will just keep Hernandez and be content with a C+ at 2B like we saw them do with RF last winter. But I'm hoping a division title and a huge demand for season tickets next year will get Jerry to spend at a position where this team NEEDS an upgrade.

They won’t bring Cesar back if he struggles like this.  Way too many middle infield options available this offseason.

Just now, FriendlyNorthsider said:

The sequencing isn’t great but 5-5 against NYY OAK and TB with Rodon out is a decent showing. If the Sox are going to lose I’d rather it be the Keuchel and Lopez games. As long as the top 4 win I don’t sweat as much

True, if we can finish the 14 game stretch against contenders at 7-7 I'd consider it a decent showing. It just sucks cause it feels like we've kind of said "fuck it" in 3 of the last 4. 

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

6 mil for even a 1 WAR second baseman, is almost automatically going to be an option exercised.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Seeing how the Jays rotation lines up for that series has me very concerned. But I'm sure Jays fans aren't thrilled about who they're facing either.

The good news is that the Jays have struggled recently without Springer in the lineup. They're in danger of losing a series at home to the Tigers. 

30 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Less Ruiz, please.

Why was Ruiz brought in the first place?  Crochet was pitching fairly well.  Low fastballs in the zone to lefties go a long way, particularly on a 0-2 count and with Goodwin in RF.  Terrible pitching by Ruiz.

Edited by hankchifan