2021 NFL Season Thread

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I will point out - we all like to rip on George and the McCaskeys - and obviously I don't know the inner workings of what they wanted to do, etc - but I feel like they handled their hires very appropriate - they evaluated many diverse backgrounds (both in terms of race, but also just in terms of various levels of expertise and broad backgrounds) and seemed to have a very open mind throughout the way, eventually hiring for both roles, who they thought was best for their org(s).  Pretty proud of that fact.  

yes, they suck in all the ways that win football games, but their work engaging their players especially in 2020 and after is notable and seems to have made real impact on him.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Unrelated - but Joe Brady apparently interviewing today (per Albert Breer). A lot of speculated on him being QB coach/having a role - but all the reports were from "bloggers" vs. major reporters.  Mike Munchack also likely out in Denver, so that is a possibility for Bears (very good oline coach). That said - Muncack isn't pairing up with Hackett because Hackett prefers a different style of blocking to support his ground attack (so I would think some of those differences might exist with Getsy too...but maybe not).  

Yes, was going to talk about this. Been holding out getting excited on Brady because college teams really, really want him back but he seems to prefer NFL. Would just be so thrilled with him as passing coordinator and Getsy bringing LaFleur's run game concepts.

Totally agree on Munchak, I noted at some point, but I think one of the reasons Fangio ditched Scangerelo so early was his run concepts didn't mesh with munchak and he went with the more proven quantity. Seems like that happened with Nagy and Hiestand too. I guess there is a big issue right now with more teams wanting to run outside zone than exists strong oline coaches for it. First mover advantage (probably why GB chose to keep their OL coach over Getsy)

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The story goes that Ross tried to get him to a meeting on his boat to offer him the money again(apparently had been trying to get Flores to agree with him to tank for a little while) and Flores realized what he was doing and refused the meeting, and from that point forward Ross didn't like him and was not friendly towards him, and this all ended with him getting fired.  Man this story is crazy

Well that explains his exit after the finish they had.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

This situation sucks. I get that Flores may not be the best people manager, but it really does seem like he was set in a poisonous situation. It is crazy to me that a guy like Raheem Morris just can't find his way back despite the very interesting background of now having been a former head coach, coaching a dominant defense, and having been an offensive coach (WRs).

And Flores turning chicken crap into a real football team, only to have the toxic relationship likely put upon him as a reason he can't be hired just sucks. I wish Bears would have given him a stronger look. I don't know re: Giants, but if they were putting out rumors that they were leaning into him because of Brookly ties just to cover that up it sucks, but the Rooney Rule will set some of this awkwardness up.

Flores situation is just a mess on many levels - and it goes both ways. But on Morris, Leftwich (if he doesn't get a job), and Bowles - there are no reasons they don't get another job / shouldn't have a job in the NFL. Flores likely should - but I get why there is hesitation with him given some of the secondary reports that are out there. Hard to tell what is real vs. noise (but that was what always had me concerned about him being the Bears HC).  If it weren't for the noise with his assistants - Flores would have been my guy (since Harbaugh was never a real option).  

Bienemy I get - he has background issues that might make him unhireable (If I were a front office - I get why you may not want to make someone with those past issues with women the head coach of your franchise).  

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah this one might get pretty ugly and have some lasting impacts in the league 

100% - this is going to drive real and necessary change (just bad it got to this point). Or at least I hope it drives change. Zero excuse for there to be 1 minority head coach in the NFL.  

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well that explains his exit after the finish they had.

No, the offer was two years ago when they were expected to go 0-16 but ended up winning 5.  That's where the schism started and ended up with him getting fired after this season

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

No, the offer was two years ago when they were expected to go 0-16 but ended up winning 5.  That's where the schism started and ended up with him getting fired after this season

I meant the bad blood in place after the big finish this year and his still getting fired, not that the offer came this year.

I think the most damning thing about Nagy's time developing Fields for me is that Nagy wasn't actively trying to sabotage him. He carefully thought about his approach, reviewed it, and concluded "yes, this is great work. I will make Justin Fields a Hall of Fame quarterback."

Just now, lostfan said:

I think the most damning thing about Nagy's time developing Fields for me is that Nagy wasn't actively trying to sabotage him. He carefully thought about his approach, reviewed it, and concluded "yes, this is great work. I will make Justin Fields a Hall of Fame quarterback."

It was kind of like he believed that his system was for any QB with any skills.  And it was.....not

6 hours ago, lostfan said:

Or maybe Fields just winds up being Mitch 2.0.

The Bears are always going to Bears it up.  If Harbaugh does sign with the Vikings and the Bears passed on him to bring in a no name DC coordinator, oof.  Just sell the fucking team already to someone willing and able to spend the money. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, soulfly said:

Or maybe Fields just winds up being Mitch 2.0.

The Bears are always going to Bears it up.  If Harbaugh does sign with the Vikings and the Bears passed on him to bring in a no name DC coordinator, oof.  Just sell the fucking team already to someone willing and able to spend the money. 

This sounds familiar.  The Sox and Bears have about the same amount of postseason success, slight advantage to the Bears the last 40 years or so.