The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.startribune.com/labor-woes-just-part-of-mlb-problem-the-biggest-the-game-is-at-odds-with-your-brain/600150128/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=twins

Here’s a new one.  “Repetition suppression” asserted as the reason for declining/apathetic fan interest.

“Baseball's larger problem is a decline in interest. That has been charted in many different ways, but try this one: a recent poll of 1,570 adults showed that more than half have no interest in MLB.”

A lot of us former baseball fans are scientists as well.  Doing science for a living doesn’t mean I necessarily want to watch it for a hobby.

For many of us, watching baseball during the “golden age” of baseball was a lot more interesting than watching baseball today.  Stated another way, the “art” of baseball was a lot more engaging and interesting than the “science” of baseball.”

Baseball has to show their product to the entire country.  They could grow the interest in the game many different ways but instead they still try to make me pay to watch spring training and block tweets with homemade videos of highlights

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I do think analytics has made things far more uniform with the teams, and that tends to get boring. 

I think it has changed the strategy but it hasn’t changed the fact that there are strategies.

It has created a cottage industry of people complaining that the old strategies were better. 

And it has slowed the game down since one of the new strategies is to take more pitches (seriously this gets solved with a true pitch clock and guys not stepping out).

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I do think analytics has made things far more uniform with the teams, and that tends to get boring. 

One thing I really miss was that each ump would have a different strike zone than the guy the night before.  

Finding and using the ump’s zone was an art for both pitchers and hitters.