The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

I'm certain the regulations for luxury tax calculations are dozens of pages long. With deferred compensation and other options I'm certain big budget teams employee a lawyer or two to limit their MLB tax. So other teams try to close those loopholes. 

There always was at least two factors, what will the threshold be and how is it calculated. You add that stuff and teams will hit the limit faster. Good for the small market receivers, bad for the larger market givers.

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

this killed me. Especially when I was just talking about getting rid of the non-explicit salary items in the CBT because it's so hard to follow. Soon they'll try and add their insurance premiums.

So realistically,  the number wasn't even what they said it was if they are bulking it up by hiding other things in it.  Crooks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So realistically,  the number wasn't even what they said it was if they are bulking it up by hiding other things in it.  Crooks.

Or teams were hiding compensation in non MLB tax calculated areas. This is a good time to close loopholes. As long as the amount is increased sufficiently the players don't lose and the small budget teams win.

Isn't this the negotiations we wanted to happen? You want this, well we can give you that but we want this. Then a counter offer we can accept that but we'll need this. It's probably why they don't meet constantly. Working things out are complex and why they should have started a year ago.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wouldn’t it be awesome if this pissed off Jerry so much he decided to increase the payroll significantly

I keep thinking the 81% owners are influencing the 19% owner. I'd be interested in knowing how much he controls. With this many zeros involved, some of his fellow shareholders may want a different path than before.

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wouldn’t it be awesome if this pissed off Jerry so much he decided to increase the payroll significantly

Well, Albert Belle is the only example over nearly four decades...but that was more to make a point to fellow owners from all accounts.  The equivalent today would be taking on Trout's deal from the Angels

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, Albert Belle is the only example over nearly four decades...but that was more to make a point to fellow owners from all accounts.  The equivalent today would be taking on Trout's deal from the Angels

I believe Carlton Fisk and Million Dollar Floyd Bannister were in this category as well.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

How much do you wanna bet that the text the players said appeared overnight without them being consulted was the stuff on including meals and expenses under the taxable total?

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it were this. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Or teams were hiding compensation in non MLB tax calculated areas. This is a good time to close loopholes. As long as the amount is increased sufficiently the players don't lose and the small budget teams win.

Considering compensation seems to be tax deductible, I would say the opposite.  They are trying to find more things to deduct.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering compensation seems to be tax deductible, I would say the opposite.  They are trying to find more things to deduct.

That is an IRS issue not a calculating the MLB luxury tax. I wish they didn't call it a tax. The CBA doesn't change the US tax code. 

11 hours ago, Spicy gar said:

Retractable roof stadiums are expensive and use a ton more energy. A rain delayed game is better than closing a roof and having to pump aircon/heat through it. Yeah it gets cold/rainy but better than the alternative.

I could get behind this, but there's got to be something that can be done.