The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

9 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

And yet, here we are

Yes...really quite unbelievable.  Everyone here knows the game.  Both sides want the most they can get while not losing their business profits or player salaries.  I felt strongly that a deal would happen on Feb.28/Mar1st.  Both sides have some stubborn folks on their respective sides.  I certainly think it will be settled in a month or two.  Common sense will tell us that neither side can actually afford a strike/lockout to go beyond that April 30 date.  

45 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Not me.  I hate the weather off day after opening day.  I want baseball rain or shine. 

Right!? Nothing worse than all those off days the first week! I just sit and twiddle my thumbs and wish like hell I had Sox baseball to watch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right!? Nothing worse than all those off days the first week! I just sit and twiddle my thumbs and wish like hell I had Sox baseball to watch. 

I get why, but that day after is just boring AF after all of the hype of Opening Day.  Even if I’m not glued to every game it’s great background noise. I want the constant every day of baseball for as many days as possible. 

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I get why, but that day after is just boring AF after all of the hype of Opening Day.  Even if I’m not glued to every game it’s great background noise. I want the constant every day of baseball for as many days as possible. 

Every new stadium that's built should have a retractable roof to avoid weather delays. Baseball the only sport that has them (aside from maybe lightning and thunderstorms with soccer or football). Weather delays should be a thing of the past in the next 20-30 years imo.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Every new stadium that's built should have a retractable roof to avoid weather delays. Baseball the only sport that has them (aside from maybe lightning and thunderstorms with soccer or football). Weather delays should be a thing of the past in the next 20-30 years imo.

Retractable roof stadiums are expensive and use a ton more energy. A rain delayed game is better than closing a roof and having to pump aircon/heat through it. Yeah it gets cold/rainy but better than the alternative.

Edited by Spicy gar

16 minutes ago, Spicy gar said:

Retractable roof stadiums are expensive and use a ton more energy. A rain delayed game is better than closing a roof and having to pump aircon/heat through it. Yeah it gets cold/rainy but better than the alternative.

I agree. I like the outdoor environment for sports. Even the 10 degree Bears games.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree. I like the outdoor environment for sports. Even the 10 degree Bears games.

My wife swears it was 10 degrees when she would go to April Sox games when we were courting....she no longer attends those.

20 minutes ago, wegner said:

My wife swears it was 10 degrees when she would go to April Sox games when we were courting....she no longer attends those.

Yeah it's cold. If she doesn't want to attend opening anymore that's ok. Opening day isn't for everyone. Living in Chicago we know opening day has a chance of snow, rain, being freezing or both. That's part of opening day. Getting to the parking lot, tailgating again in the rain or cold. Tradition old as time wondering when/if they allow us in only to cancel later. You don't have to force your partner to like it.

26 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Assuming there is MLB this year, how many here are going to be affected by the current state of inflation WRT attending games?

None? Inflation isn't that bad. I live at the lower end of the pay spectrum. If i want to see a game I'll see a game.

NEW YORK — Four Major League Baseball owners — Bob Castellini of the Reds, Chris Ilitch of the Tigers, Ken Kendrick of the Diamondbacks and Arte Moreno of the Angels — objected to raising the competitive balance tax to the levels the league ultimately proposed most recently, three people briefed on an owner-wide call held this week told The Athletic. MLB moved forward with the proposal anyway, moving its offer on the first threshold to $220 million — up $10 million from where it was in 2021, and $6 million from its previous offer, but still far below the players’ ask of $238 million.

The luxury tax’s rate of growth has not kept pace with the overall revenues growth in the sport, making it one of the main concerns for the players.

The resistance of the four owners reveals at least some of the hard-liners who are likely influencing perhaps the single-most contentious issue in negotiations that have already cost the sport games. One person briefed on the call noted that White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, a hawk in the 1994-95 dispute, was not among those to stand in the way. Not all small-market owners — owners who theoretically would be most disadvantaged by an increase in the luxury tax, which curtails high-end spending — were opposed to the raise, either. Rather, at least some of the four owners took stances based on their personal feelings toward costs and baseball’s economic system, sources said.

https://theathletic.com/3162810/2022/03/04/sources-angels-diamondbacks-reds-and-tigers-owners-opposed-mlb-luxury-tax-increase/

6 hours ago, wegner said:

Same here. She only goes from mid-May to August. This includes Bears games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

Fucking including meal money. 😆 
Talk about nickel and diming.

this killed me. Especially when I was just talking about getting rid of the non-explicit salary items in the CBT because it's so hard to follow. Soon they'll try and add their insurance premiums.

Meal money shenanigans. Y'all get $2,000 a day for food. I'm certain some team probably used it as a way to avoid the tax. 

Meanwhile I officially announce my Hiroshima Toyo Carp allegiance. We were middle of the pack last year but I think we made some good roster moves during the off season.