The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

What's sad for me is I haven't checked this thread in a few days, I've seen how many pages it is, and I just don't have the energy for all of this. We all go so much shit going on in our lives...while I think the owners come out looking far worse in this, I've gotten to a point where I just don't have the energy to care. You guys don't want to play baseball? Fine, I'm sure I'll find something else to do with my time.Ā 

Which I don't want, I love baseball, and I'll be excited when it comes back....but I just can't get that emotionally invested at this point, fire isn't there.Ā 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

What's sad for me is I haven't checked this thread in a few days, I've seen how many pages it is, and I just don't have the energy for all of this. We all go so much shit going on in our lives...while I think the owners come out looking far worse in this, I've gotten to a point where I just don't have the energy to care. You guys don't want to play baseball? Fine, I'm sure I'll find something else to do with my time.Ā 

Which I don't want, I love baseball, and I'll be excited when it comes back....but I just can't get that emotionally invested at this point, fire isn't there.Ā 

Yep Iā€™ve already tried to rationalize to myself I will be fine without MLB for the next few months.

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep Iā€™ve already tried to rationalize to myself I will be fine without MLB for the next few months.

There will be 6Ā Star Trek seasons on Paramount+ I havenā€™t caught up on by the end of May. Viacom isĀ even getting the MLB.tv money.

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

So far I have spent my spring training money on a family outing to Hadestown, and am working on spending the summer baseball money on a trip to NYC, and probably Hamilton.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There will be 6Ā Star Trek seasons on Paramount+ I havenā€™t caught up on by the end of May. Viacom isĀ even getting the MLB.tv money.

I've just started watching Seal Team. Almost through season one!

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just an FYI on what MLB meal money is and how petty the owners are who want to add it to the CBT. It's $30 a day. 2 Coronas at a Sox game.Ā 

When I saw that mentioned I was wondering how much the meal money was. They shouldĀ include meal money for the fans in the stands in the new CBA .

Edited by Saufley

28 minutes ago, Saufley said:

When I saw that mentioned I was wondering how much the meal money was. They shouldĀ include meal money for the fans in the stands in the new CBA .

I was told in this thread that if owners save money on payroll, we would get free nachos and parking.

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

I was told in this thread that if owners save money on payroll, we would get free nachos and parking.

have we ever discussed on this board the controversial use of El Rancho chips for the nachos at GRF?

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Ā 

good news

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

have we ever discussed on this board the controversial use of El Rancho chips for the nachos at GRF?

good news

Was not a fan of that change. Ā I like el rancho chips but it doesn't work at the park with that nacho cheese and stuffĀ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't imagine being this bitter.Ā  If I truly thought that, I would be out the door, and have been.

I'm going to be bitter and angry until income inequality, racism/xenophobia and public corruption are addressed. The system is cannibalizing itself.Ā 

Human suffering hurts my soul.Ā 

Anyway, I'm done talking about this here. Back to baseball.Ā 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Was not a fan of that change. Ā I like el rancho chips but it doesn't work at the park with that nacho cheese and stuffĀ 

Just one man's opinion, but ballpark food has never been the same since Best Kosher hot dogs went out of business....that was a sad day indeed.

42 minutes ago, bmags said:

good news

Not sure how this is good news.Ā 

This is also terrible negotiating by the players. If you expand playoffs to 14 teams in hopes of upping the CBT, there's really no need for owners to even push the limits of the tax because the playoffs become that much more of a crap shoot and your regular season eliteness means very little so there's not much reason to spend huge dollars to get bounced by an 83 win team in a short playoff series.

This would be a horrendous miscalculation by the players union and would honestly harm the integrity of the regular season and the sport imo. I, speaking for me personally, would likely watch fewer regular season games with the expansion going that far.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

7 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I could get behind this, but there's got to be something that can be done.Ā 

I truly dont think their is. A rain out/delay is just a fact of the game when you play 162 games a year. MLB teams should play through the rain more often. They basically get new balls every pitch so its not damaging to pitchers. They can put quick dry on the field every half inning. Unless the field starts to puddle up or lightning is in the area they should play through it more often.

30 minutes ago, Spicy gar said:

I truly dont think their is. A rain out/delay is just a fact of the game when you play 162 games a year. MLB teams should play through the rain more often. They basically get new balls every pitch so its not damaging to pitchers. They can put quick dry on the field every half inning. Unless the field starts to puddle up or lightning is in the area they should play through it more often.

The risk with wet balls is to the batter, not the pitchers. Even with a new ball every pitch the glove is wet, your hands get wet, and the ball slips. With guys throwing 100 MPH way more often no one wants to assume that risk.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm with you on this. I've been a fan a long time and have had my fill of strikes, lock-outs, bad PR moves, White Flag Trades, various scandals, and a host of other stupid stuff. We fans then get lectures from MLB and the sports media about how loyal we should be. Somehow, loyalty is never a two-way street, and, for some reason, there is a great feeling of entitlement on the behalf of professional sports. Nothing requires us to attend games or otherwise support MLB or any other sport.Ā Ā And for this bargaining process to go on for so long with no resolution is a disgrace. When will baseball return? I truly don't care at this point.

14 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I'm with you on this. I've been a fan a long time and have had my fill of strikes, lock-outs, bad PR moves, White Flag Trades, various scandals, and a host of other stupid stuff. We fans then get lectures from MLB and the sports media about how loyal we should be. Somehow, loyalty is never a two-way street, and, for some reason, there is a great feeling of entitlement on the behalf of professionļ»æal sports. Nothing requires us to attend games or otherwise support MLB or any other sport.Ā Ā And for this bargaining process tļ»æo go on for so long with no resolution is a disgrace. When will baseball return? I truly don't care at this point.

I mean, I care because I love watching baseball in summer. I'm never really active in the baseball world as much in the off-season (on this forum and alike)Ā because frankly I put too much time in already during the season and prepping for the season. Also because, just the way work is for me, my busiest months of the year are often October/November-February so I have other priorities like I think most here do.Ā 

That said, I hope the players don't get screwed because the more power the owners get, the worse the game gets it feels like. This will sound crazy coming from me, but baseball is more fun when more teams aren't trying to operate in the most efficient way possible. Efficiencies have their place in the world, the quest to maximizeĀ them employ people like me, but as ownership continues to move more and more towards operating baseball like a portfolio, the enjoyment of the game does decline. Baseball has always been worse than other sports at marketing itself, but I think it's gotten so much worse over the past two decades it's honestly tough to even believe. They have no idea how to utilize social media and use fans to spread the game because their obsessed about maximizing property rights $'s and refuse to let highlights and etc be posted by non-affiliated sources. They have no idea how to live in the streaming world (Which is so damn ironic given that they saw it coming before any other league) as their owners care more about maximizing local TV dollars over maximizing game exposure and fan viewership. This goes hand in hand with the destruction and disrespect shown to minor leaguers who they view as an inefficient way to develop talent so they don't invest in the systems or growing the game in small towns via these franchises and teams; they want to eliminate much of this aspect of the game because in the short term it's impact is beneficial to the bottom line.

With values growing so much, owners care more about their short term growth and gains over the overall growth of the product.Ā They don't care about trying to put some fun and exciting talent on the field if the team isn't "projected" to be "good," and they view spending money on an 80 win team as a waste, so they tank away years under the guise of "building a winner." It's the entertainment industry, maximizing efficiencies tend to have a negative impact on the overall product.Ā 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The risk with wet balls is to the batter, not the pitchers. Even with a new ball every pitch the glove is wet, your hands get wet, and the ball slips. With guys throwing 100 MPH way more often no one wants to assume that risk.

It is much easier to control a wet baseball. That's why pitchers had wet sponges in their back pocket, or before couldn't lick fingers without a wipe off