The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If this continues for even just a few more weeks with no obvious path to a deal being made soon, I'll check out. I'm as die hard as any baseball fan, but if this is the kind of game they want to play, I want no part of it. There is plenty else I can spend my time and energy on. The DNR and lure making companies will get my money and I'll go fishing all summer. And the West Michigan White Caps are around if I need a baseball fix (single A club for the Tigers).

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 2

Major League Baseball is willing to increase the first competitive-balance tax threshold from $220 million if the Players Association makes moves in other areas, people with knowledge of the league’s thinking say.

For the league to move closer to the union’s desired thresholds, which start at $238 million, it would want a variety of adjustments, including a pre-arbitration bonus pool lower than the union’s latest proposal of $80 million and sharp penalties for teams that exceed the thresholds by the highest amounts. Perhaps most important, it would want the union to accept a streamlined process for implementing rules changes beyond the 2023 season.

The union, in its latest proposal to the league on Sunday, agreed to grant the league the ability to institute a pitch clock, larger bases and shift restrictions for 2023. The league wants the ability to make other changes for subsequent years within 45 days of the end of a season. Such changes would be implemented upon the recommendations of a competition committee composed of more league than union representatives, effectively giving commissioner Rob Manfred the power to act as he chooses. In previous CBAs, the commissioner had the unilateral right to implement changes only after a year’s notice.

The people with knowledge of the league’s thinking, however, said Sunday that agreement on the thresholds would be possible if the union showed flexibility in other parts of the deal.

https://theathletic.com/3166756/2022/03/06/rosenthal-mlb-willing-to-increase-luxury-tax-if-players-move-in-other-areas-people-with-knowledge-of-leagues-thinking-said/

If I'm giving up too much of what's behind the paywall, I'll remove this.

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It’s a bit much but it’s all critical so I think we can let you off with a chiding?

Anyway, if this is true - then make a proposal doing this that you would accept.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If this continues for even just a few more weeks with no obvious path to a deal being made soon, I'll check out. I'm as die hard as any baseball fan, but if this is the kind of game they want to play, I want no part of it. There is plenty else I can spend my time and energy on. The DNR and lure making companies will get my money and I'll go fishing all summer. And the West Michigan White Caps are around if I need a baseball fix (single A club for the Tigers).

As soon as they take the field, you'll be back.

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, in 2023. If the players don't completely cave there will be no season. Ownership seems intent on breaking the union. 

Hey look, its Jack doomposting at 2 or 3AM!

Never would have bet on that happening, amirite?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

As soon as they take the field, you'll be back.

I will be, but not nearly as engaged. I guess they are going to cancel another week of games today or tomorrow.If I didn't have season tickets, I would not attend a game this year, except for the playoffs.

Edited by Dick Allen

If they are intent on 14, I really think this would be the best format.  I want to see the number of teams whittled down as quickly as possible as to not drastically alter the current format.  A couple of extra do or die Wild Card games doesn’t dilute the regular season or post season too much IMO.   

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I will be, but not nearly as engaged. I guess they are going to cancel another week of games today or tomorrow.If I didn't have season tickets, I would not attend a game this year, except for the playoffs.

Yeah. Odds are I jump back into place where I was at end of last season. But maybe not, I was drawing blanks on who was even in our bullpen last week. I coulnd't remember any free agents until I looked it up.

who knows what happens when they stop giving obssessives things to be entertained by. I think Baseball may be run by the obssessives more than most leagues right now. Play around with them at your peril

33 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If they are intent on 14, I really think this would be the best format.  I want to see the number of teams whittled down as quickly as possible as to not drastically alter the current format.  A couple of extra do or die Wild Card games doesn’t dilute the regular season or post season too much IMO.   

I definitely agree that this is a palatable 14 team format (as someone that staunchly opposes further playoff expansion).  As long as the division winners aren't getting fucked which totally cheapens the regular season, I can live with it.  Problem is - does this really move the needle much at all from the current format for the owners?  This is literally adding just 1 game per league to the playoff schedule. I don't think that is really what the owners are after with expansion - can't imagine those 2 extra games change the TV revenues all that much. 

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I definitely agree that this is a palatable 14 team format (as someone that staunchly opposes further playoff expansion).  As long as the division winners aren't getting fucked which totally cheapens the regular season, I can live with it.  Problem is - does this really move the needle much at all from the current format for the owners?  This is literally adding just 1 game per league to the playoff schedule. I don't think that is really what the owners are after with expansion - can't imagine those 2 extra games change the TV revenues all that much. 

Division series' are currently a 5 game format, right?  This would be adding 2 extra games potentially to the DS while adding the extra WCs.  Without drastically altering the regular season schedule or playing deep into November, I don't know what else they can do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I like this too and maybe this could work for the owners since they come in as elimination games and those make for excellent TV? IIRC the Boston/NYY wild card game last year was one of the top rated baseball games in years. 

Yup, highest ratings for a single game single 1998.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2021/10/boston-red-soxs-wild-card-game-win-over-yankees-was-most-watched-mlb-game-on-espn-since-1998-delivered-198-rating-in-boston-market.html?outputType=amp