The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Spicy gar said:

It is much easier to control a wet baseball. That's why pitchers had wet sponges in their back pocket, or before couldn't lick fingers without a wipe off

It's easier to control a damp ball when you lick the fingers. Not a wet ball like in the rain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's easier to control a damp ball when you lick the fingers. Not a wet ball like in the rain.

A new ball just doesn't get that wet. From umpires pouch to pitcher/cather. Holding a ball in your glove for 20 seconds wont get it that wet.

4 hours ago, Spicy gar said:

It is much easier to control a wet baseball. That's why pitchers had wet sponges in their back pocket, or before couldn't lick fingers without a wipe off

What do those signs say that janitors put up after mopping the floor?  Do they say "Cautious: Slippery when wet"? Or do they say "Cautious: Very difficult to control your footing once this floor completely dries"?

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

What do those signs say that janitors put up after mopping the floor?  Do they say "Cautious: Slippery when wet"? Or do they say "Cautious: Very difficult to control your footing once this floor completely dries"?

Yes linoleum floors are are definitely the same surface as dirt or grass. They must put the signs out on a football field or soccer field when it starts raining. Caution grass is wet. May be difficult to keep footing. C'mon man.

7 hours ago, Spicy gar said:

Yes linoleum floors are are definitely the same surface as dirt or grass. They must put the signs out on a football field or soccer field when it starts raining. Caution grass is wet. May be difficult to keep footing. C'mon man.

Dirt and grass, two things that are also more slippery when wet.

8 hours ago, Spicy gar said:

I actually wasn’t referring to the footing on dirt/grass at all. I just found it humorous that you thought a baseball was easier to control when it’s wet from rain. It seemed ridiculous to me, so I was comparing it to something else that would sound ridiculous. 

I honestly wouldn't be against shortening the season, if we are going to have 14 playoff teams, and then extend the length of the playoff series so it would seem like whoever wins the series actually earned it. But I doubt the players would be for that as the less regular season games they play, the less everyone gets paid.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

All JR sitting this one out means is he realizes there are enough owners that share his opinion where he doesn't  have to take the bad pub like last time. He is loving Manfred taking all this heat, but remember he was the one that kept his appointment from being unanimous  because he thought he would be too soft with the union. It is smart he is sitting it out. Why take the heat if you don't have to?

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

All JR sitting this one out means is he realizes there are enough owners that share his opinion where he doesn't  have to take the bad pub like last time. He is loving Manfred taking all this heat, but remember he was the one that kept his appointment from being unanimous  because he thought he would be too soft with the union. It is smart he is sitting it out. Why take the heat if you don't have to?

Or maybe it's because he is 86 years old?

• Like 2