Schwarber to Phillies

Kyyle23

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I am surprised they went with the lefty over Bryant.

As of right now before seeing the Schwarber deal, Spotrac has them at $176 mill for the luxury tax number. Why not both?

Edit: so just under $20 mill a year (we'll just round up). So $196 mill luxury tax number.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Bet this contract will be cheaper than everyone expects. 

As always on Soxtalk this contract will be something the white Sox should have done and why didn't they and this guy would have been perfect and now let's move on to the next player who is also perfect and why didn't we sign them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

As always on Soxtalk this contract will be something the white Sox should have done and why didn't they and this guy would have been perfect and now let's move on to the next player who is also perfect and why didn't we sign them.

How about at least one offseason signing the majority of fans are at least optimistic if not happy about?

Baseball is an entertainment business, after all.  What’s the answer from Sox fans to Russell Crowe’s question in Gladiator.

”Are you not entertained?”  

Well, perhaps not in the way Hahn originally intended.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How about at least one offseason signing the majority of fans are at least optimistic if not happy about?

Baseball is an entertainment business, after all.  What’s the answer from Sox fans to Russell Crowe’s question in Gladiator.

”Are you not entertained?”  

Well, perhaps not in the way Hahn originally intended.

Yea nobody has been optimistic about any signings the past few years.  I distinctly remember the outrage over Grandal and Hendriks 

Well,if there’s no market for these outfielders then that’s a strange deal.

I wonder if this is the floodgates going. 2 gone quickly and Oakland’s position players traded, Boston and LA haven’t spent that new tax space yet, now there might be fewer outfielders than interested teams, so patience might mean you get no one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea nobody has been optimistic about any signings the past few years.  I distinctly remember the outrage over Grandal and Hendriks 

Yes, because we had Narvaez and then McCann.  See 500+ Balta comments on this.

And paying elite closers has never been the White Sox way…and it still hasn’t really paid off.  And now we have two.

I would guess the excitement with Grandal was maybe 60/40 in for, with Fathom being especially concerned about his defense and the fact he was essentially benched by the Dodgers in the post-season due to numerous lapses that haven’t ever shown up in his brief Sox career.

But yeah, it figures somewhat flawed guys like Grandal or Conforto would be the biggest contracts in franchise history, rather than an elite superstar.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, because we had Narvaez and then McCann.  See 500+ Balta comments on this.

And paying elite closers has never been the White Sox way…and it still hasn’t really paid off.  And now we have two.

I would guess the excitement with Grandal was maybe 60/40 in for, with Fathom being especially concerned about his defense and the fact he was essentially benched by the Dodgers in the post-season due to numerous lapses that haven’t ever shown up in his brief Sox career.

But yeah, it figures somewhat flawed guys like Grandal or Conforto would be the biggest contracts in franchise history, rather than an elite superstar.

Why do you keep summoning balta when you make bad arguments 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe you should take up a collection to pay Robert another 25 million this year so you could be more entertained by his compensation

27 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I wanted him this off season.  He's incredibly confident at the plate. His swing is locked in and he found his approach. He's going to be the second name I write in for my HR pool behind Trout.  

I've really come around on Schwarber in the last 12 months or so; definitely agree that he appears to have found an approach that works for him, is attacking his pitch more often.

Think he has a big 4 years under this deal. Has a chance to be a 950 OPS player every year. Sox should have pushed for this given that they have no DH.