3/28 | Padres vs White Sox | 3:05PM CT | ESPN1000

Tnetennba

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

How is Ciuffo defensively?

He's very good which is why I have been saying Collins better watch his back. Scouting reports going back to his Rays days said he had a good arm, blocked pitches well and framed well. He did good yesterday handling 4 different pitchers

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Giolito is absolutely going to shove this year. I'm going to miss him when he's gone. 

Sox have a history of extending their own pitchers. Better than fair chance he signs one.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something to watch, Sheets seems to be pounding the ball on the ground this spring 

I noticed this too, and called it out a few games ago. Looks like the book is out on him.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something to watch, Sheets seems to be pounding the ball on the ground this spring 

He had a pretty high GB rate in the majors last year, and was a fairly consistent ~42-45% guy while in the minors. Definitely not ideal for someone with his profile.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Sox have a history of extending their own pitchers. Better than fair chance he signs one.

Honestly, I really feel like if he wanted to, he would have by now.  Granted it was a team dump, but the last 4/50 he was offered was fairly close to market scale for where he is on his timeline.  I think the final straw will be his work for the players during the lockout.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Giolito wants to get paid fairly. When have the Sox ever signed a pitcher to a market value contract? 

Danks and Buehrle come to mind. Burns, Dotson and Bannister from the old days. But thise were the bad contracts that scared JR from long term deals to pitchers.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, I really feel like if he wanted to, he would have by now.  Granted it was a team dump, but the last 4/50 he was offered was fairly close to market scale for where he is on his timeline.  I think the final straw will be his work for the players during the lockout.

That's a possibility. He really does seem like a west coast guy.

Just now, ptatc said:

Danks and Buehrle come to mind. Burns, Dotson and Bannister from the old days. But thise were the bad contracts that scared JR from long term deals to pitchers.

If Lucas signs an extension with the Sox, it'll be the biggest contract in White Sox history by a significant margin. i think the only real precedent would be the money they allegedly offered Wheeler a couple of years ago in free agency.

Something slightly above Berrios' 7/131M extension seems like it would be the floor for what Lucas might accept.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If Lucas signs an extension with the Sox, it'll be the biggest contract in White Sox history by a significant margin. i think the only real precedent would be the money they allegedly offered Wheeler a couple of years ago in free agency.

Something slightly above Berrios' 7/131M extension seems like it would be the floor for what Lucas might accept.

Yeah, and I don't think they'd go anywhere near 7 years with a pitcher. 

Gio continues improving and gets to FA he's looking at a Strasburg deal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

There is no chance the Sox trade Giolito even though I can at least understand the arguments if they know he's gonna walk after 2023 anyways.

I think you're right, but it will be infuriating and damaging to let him walk for nothing. 

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It is important to realize that Gio is only in his 2nd arb year.  Last year when this deal was kicked around he was in his first.  It wouldn't be hard to put together something like 8/12/22/25 with option for 25,  including a $5 million buyout and a 3 million dollar signing bonus to come up with a 4/70 or 5/90 structure and be around market value for the type of extension we are taking about.

It would get the Sox some certainty, while still giving Gio a run at FA early, without breaking the bank.

• Like 1