Will This Team Win a Playoff Series Poll

Texsox

Playoff Series Win Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will this team win a playoff series?

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Do you really need a poll to know how this board will vote?

It was a request from Cali in another thread. With all the negativity surrounding the off season and no upgrades or hole filters I'm thinking the majority will say no. But we're fans so maybe I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It was a request from Cali in another thread. With all the negativity surrounding the off season and no upgrades or hole filters I'm thinking the majority will say no. But we're fans so maybe I'm wrong. 

I voted yes just to troll you and that other guy. ;) . No I really think it's possible with expanded playoffs and having Home field advantage in the 1st round would help a lot.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I requested it because there was a lot of noise about the negative nellies making making a lot of noise badmouthing the FO and that we were only a select few loudmouths. So I made the poll about who thought the Front office would make us proud with a good RF acquisition  and a starting pitcher. Turns out the large majority of the board didnt think the Sox would get either.

The family and friends I talk to who don't post here are all fired up and would probably send in deposits for WS tickets today. They don't seem to care about lack of SP depth, RF, 2nd, etc. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Will this roster win a playoff series?

Yes, if they get quality starting pitching, play good defense and get consistent hitting. Yes, if they add a starting pitcher and their right fielder does their job. Yes, if they don’t have the same injury issues as last year. And if they don’t play like crap like they did against Houston last year.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wait for it.

Sox have 4 guys who if relatively healthy could have  big breakouts in Eloy,Robert, Vaughn and Sheets and another in Moncada who is capable of better slugging. He can pile up WAR with his fielding and walks but that LH power gap would close a lot with his help and Sheets just doing what he did last year in about 250 more AB's.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sox have 4 guys who if relatively healthy could have  big breakouts in Eloy,Robert, Vaughn and Sheets and another in Moncada who is capable of better slugging. He can pile up WAR with his fielding and walks but that LH power gap would close a lot with his help and Sheets just doing what he did last year in about 250 more AB's.

You don't have sell me on it. I've always said they have a really good lineup and they should have spent their resources on pitching.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

barf Sheets is so overhyped here.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You don't have sell me on it. I've always said they have a really good lineup and they should have spent their resources on pitching.

LOL not selling you I'm selling everyone else who might need to know how we can win a playoff series ! I'm waiting oh ye of little faith ;)

57 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

barf Sheets is so overhyped here.

LOL No Vaughn is overhyped and yes I think Vaughn will be very good. But the fact of the matter is every time someone talks about Sheets the Vaughn people say his AB's were cherry picked and he belongs in the minors as left handed depth.

I really dislike that it's come down to a Vaughn vs. Sheets argument about playing time .

Here we had a good LH rookie  hitting clutch game winning HR's . He smacked a HR in the playoffs along with Grandal and Leury  ( not Eloy, Abreu,Robert etc amongst our RH stars ) and when everybody says we need LH power there's a guy right in front of your eyes who did everything possible last year offensively to give us hope and we ignore it. I suppose it would've been better if he just wet the bed last year ?

You're a Sox fan ,get excited when a rookie does well. Just because he wasn't a top 10 pick in the draft doesn't mean he can't do well. Baseball is littered with players from other rounds who became very good.

Allow yourself to dream a little bit instead of barfing on the few of us who like to imagine he can be a good contributor to the team. What's the worst that can happen? He sucks right? Big deal, it wouldn't be the 1st time and won't be the last. Did Gordan Beckham scar you for life ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Even if the Sox signed Bryant, Correa and Scherzer I‘d say maybe. People project too much onto playoff baseball as if it’s a different game. I‘d give the freaking Orioles a 40% chance to win a playoff series.

SO that means the answer is yes . Anyone who makes the playoffs can win a playoff series.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The poll says will they. Not can they.

Wouldn't it suck to be a fan of a very good team and think they are incapable of winning a playoff series ? Most of us think they will make the playoffs . SO if you think they will make the playoffs how can you not think that they will win a playoff series ?

The season has to play out and we can be surprised in so many ways that anything is possible.

I can run around all day saying they don't look as good as last year but we all should know that the Sox can win a playoff series and if they can , why wouldn't I think they will ?

Am I in a philosophy class ?

I said yes, this is why:

If the Sox don't close the deal on Manaea (or some other SP), they won't be good enough to get a bye, but will be good enough to win a WC series.

If the Sox do close the deal on Manaea, they will be good enough to get a bye and win a Division series.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Wouldn't it suck to be a fan of a very good team and think they are incapable of winning a playoff series ? Most of us think they will make the playoffs . SO if you think they will make the playoffs how can you not think that they will win a playoff series ?

The season has to play out and we can be surprised in so many ways that anything is possible.

I can run around all day saying they don't look as good as last year but we all should know that the Sox can win a playoff series and if they can , why wouldn't I think they will ?

Am I in a philosophy class ?

First, yes this is a philosophy class.

Second, as pointed out, the White Sox absolutely can win a playoff series because any team that gets to the playoffs can win one.

Third, the question asks me to make a prediction 6 months in advance without knowing the health status of either team or the opponent, all I know is both are playoff teams. Under this situation the White Sox have one clear disadvantage, they will be outcoached. Their manager will consistently put them in bad spots. We know this because we saw it last year. So, 6 months in advance if you are asking me to gauge what is the best bet, will the White Sox win or lose a playoff series, I will make my vote based on that piece of information and say the odds are they’re one and out. They could easily be a 95 win team against a banged up 85 win team Angels that won a wild card round but had Trout get hurt in game 3, and in that case I’d bet the opposite, but I can’t predict that in advance.

Fourth, I can still enjoy the games, but knowing the coaching staff is such a large issue does in fact suck. But I have confidence that the manager will make it known that I’m not really a fan of the team, since he gets to decide those things, so I guess that evens it out.