Will This Team Win a Playoff Series Poll

Texsox

Playoff Series Win Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will this team win a playoff series?

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Even if the Sox signed Bryant, Correa and Scherzer I‘d say maybe. People project too much onto playoff baseball as if it’s a different game. I‘d give the freaking Orioles a 40% chance to win a playoff series.

But that's insane since there is a 0% chance the Orioles make it to the playoffs. I get what you're saying, any team has a chance to win a series against another team.

The White Sox, barring an epic collapse, will make it to the post season and I think they do get a series win this year.

54 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

First, yes this is a philosophy class.

Second, as pointed out, the White Sox absolutely can win a playoff series because any team that gets to the playoffs can win one.

Third, the question asks me to make a prediction 6 months in advance without knowing the health status of either team or the opponent, all I know is both are playoff teams. Under this situation the White Sox have one clear disadvantage, they will be outcoached. Their manager will consistently put them in bad spots. We know this because we saw it last year. So, 6 months in advance if you are asking me to gauge what is the best bet, will the White Sox win or lose a playoff series, I will make my vote based on that piece of information and say the odds are they’re one and out. They could easily be a 95 win team against a banged up 85 win team Angels that won a wild card round but had Trout get hurt in game 3, and in that case I’d bet the opposite, but I can’t predict that in advance.

Fourth, I can still enjoy the games, but knowing the coaching staff is such a large issue does in fact suck. But I have confidence that the manager will make it known that I’m not really a fan of the team, since he gets to decide those things, so I guess that evens it out.

And I can agree with many of your points but I can't dwell on them once the season starts. I will  enjoy the games and reassess where they are once the playoffs start. In the meantime I don't think I have to predict a playoff series win here, I just have to think it can happen to vote yes.

I tend to be one of the more positive posters around here, but as this roster stands right now, I voted no.  We're still way too right handed heavy, and this lineup will get carved up more often than not against elite RHP. Usually that is what you're going to see in the playoffs.  No one is starting non-elite LHP against the Sox in the playoffs - saw the Astros avoid it last season, and we'll continue to see that happen until the Sox address their weakness. Sox pitching is good enough to compete in the playoffs, but we need big steps forward from Cease and Kopech in order to have true ace potential at the TOR. Gio and Lynn are more like rock solid 2s.   

That being said, there is no reason this team cannot win a 5 game series against the likes NYY, Bos, TB, TOR, and LAA.  But I don't see the Sox as the favorites as things stand currently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I tend to be one of the more positive posters around here, but as this roster stands right now, I voted no.  We're still way too right handed heavy, and this lineup will get carved up more often than not against elite RHP. Usually that is what you're going to see in the playoffs.  No one is starting non-elite LHP against the Sox in the playoffs - saw the Astros avoid it last season, and we'll continue to see that happen until the Sox address their weakness. Sox pitching is good enough to compete in the playoffs, but we need big steps forward from Cease and Kopech in order to have true ace potential at the TOR. Gio and Lynn are more like rock solid 2s.   

That being said, there is no reason this team cannot win a 5 game series against the likes NYY, Bos, TB, TOR, and LAA.  But I don't see the Sox as the favorites as things stand currently. 

I also lean no. You run into a rotation that has 2 righties at the top and it could be a buzzsaw.

But anything can happen in a short series as we know.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

25 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I also lean no. You run into a rotation that has 2 righties at the top and it could be a buzzsaw.

But anything can happen in a short series as we know.

Sometimes we get a little too preoccupied with our own opinions . I said a long time ago we wouldn't get Conforto and I've ripped the FO a new one every chance I get. However, that does not mean I can't let go of all that and it could be a better season than last year if some positives things happen.

It's a brand new season . Some may call that putting blinders on. But it's just focusing my energy in a different way now. I will now ignore the front office and root for the players. As a White Sox fan I am going to root for them to win a World Series. I have not been in that position realistically speaking very often. Spring baseball symbolizes new hope and I wouldn't feel like much of a White Sox fan if I didn't root or expect them to rise above the FO and kick some ass.

Yes. I have confidence that both Kopech and Vaughn are going to perform like the studs they are and really propel the team. Would it be nice to not have “weak spots” of Harrison and Sheets as well as a little more depth? Of course. But I think those are also easily correctable issues as the season goes on. 

Gio-Lynn-Cease-Kopech with Hendricks, Bummer, Crochet, Graveman, and Kelly behind them? Good luck to opposing teams, that’s going to be gas coming at you all series. 

I know I’m  very pessimistic on here, but I truly don’t believe this team is any better than last year. Realistically I think we beat up on the weak teams again win the division by 5-7 games, and lose again in the first round. We have no depth, still giant holes at 2nd/Rf, and a lot of players who frequently miss time throughout the years. 

Well, I'd need more context to answer the poll question:

1. Will they actually do productive things at the TDL, or will those morons fucking trade for another closer they don't need?

2. Also, will TLR and the obedient lackeys in the coaching staff get better at their jobs, or will they continue to suck? 

12 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Well, I'd need more context to answer the poll question:

1. Will they actually do productive things at the TDL, or will those morons fucking trade for another closer they don't need?

2. Also, will TLR and the obedient lackeys in the coaching staff get better at their jobs, or will they continue to suck? 

Like I tell my students, don't make assumptions or put your own biases into the question.

Read the question, answer the question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yes. I have confidence that both Kopech and Vaughn are going to perform like the studs they are and really propel the team. Would it be nice to not have “weak spots” of Harrison and Sheets as well as a little more depth? Of course. But I think those are also easily correctable issues as the season goes on. 

Gio-Lynn-Cease-Kopech with Hendricks, Bummer, Crochet, Graveman, and Kelly behind them? Good luck to opposing teams, that’s going to be gas coming at you all series. 

Well, except for the fact that Hahn has never managed to do this before in a decade as GM, so there's that.

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Like I tell my students, don't make assumptions or put your own biases into the question.

Read the question, answer the question.

I disagree.

This FO actively made the team worse at the TDL last year. Not only did they NOT address the now ~15 or so year RF hole, they also added negative fWAR at the last TDL. This offseason, they gave away 4.9 fWAR when they couldn't work out that Rodon was worth the QO all day, everyday, and especially on gameday, then turned around and added possible DFA candidates in Velsaquez and Harrison. We're still looking for solutions to the RF and 2B and v RHP holes.

So, before one can answer the question, I think we should ask first, "Will RH and KW further damage this team's chances between now and the postseason?"

They've done it before.

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree.

This FO actively made the team worse at the TDL last year. Not only did they NOT address the now ~15 or so year RF hole, they also added negative fWAR at the last TDL. This offseason, they gave away 4.9 fWAR when they couldn't work out that Rodon was worth the QO all day, everyday, and especially on gameday, then turned around and added possible DFA candidates in Velsaquez and Harrison. We're still looking for solutions to the RF and 2B and v RHP holes.

So, before one can answer the question, I think we should ask first, "Will RH and KW further damage this team's chances between now and the postseason?"

They've done it before.

If they don't, TLR certainly will come up with something totally unexpected again.

7 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree.

They've done it before.

Again, answer the question as it stands with the best available information you currently have.

It doesn't say based on what happens in the future or what might happen.

You would be the type of student that I would need to use my horse analogy for. You never have all of the information when working with a patient.  You can't see into the tissue and structures to know what's going on so you need to use the best information you have. 

If you hear hoof beats behind approaching rapidly, you what type of animal is it?

Could it be a zebra? Sure, but not common in illinois

Could it be a cow? Sure but they aren't very fast.

Mostly likely a horse based on the given information.

There are very few definite answers. Answer it with your current best information.

The answer could also be why worry about as an asteroid could hit the earth before the season starts and there won't be a world series. Not likely though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Again, answer the question as it stands with the best available information you currently have.

It doesn't say based on what happens in the future or what might happen.

You would be the type of student that I would need to use my horse analogy for. You never have all of the information when working with a patient.  You can't see into the tissue and structures to know what's going on so you need to use the best information you have. 

If you hear hoof beats behind approaching rapidly, you what type of animal is it?

Could it be a zebra? Sure, but not common in illinois

Could it be a cow? Sure but they aren't very fast.

There are very few definite answers. Answer it with your current best information.

The answer could also be why worry about as an asteroid could hit the earth before the season starts and there won't be a world series. Not likely though.

The tactical nuclear weapon options seems slightly more likely in recent weeks…that certainly tends to put things back a bit more in perspective on the White Sox baseball is life front.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The tactical nuclear weapon options seems slightly more likely in recent weeks…that certainly tends to put things back a bit more in perspective on the White Sox baseball is life front.

That's true, which is why I didn't include that one. Maybe if I didn't use it last semester we wouldn't be in this mess.

33 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree.

They've done it before.

It's a poll question on a message board.  If it is too difficult, move along.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If they don't, TLR certainly will come up with something totally unexpected again.

Agreed. With ouchy Kopech and "mature" SPs Lynn and Keuchel in the rotation, will TLR let them pitch well byond them having anything? Will he use Crochet back-to-back in a playoff game when he shouldn't?

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

1. If you hear hoof beats behind approaching rapidly, you what type of animal is it?

2. Could it be a zebra? Sure, but not common in illinois

3. Could it be a cow? Sure but they aren't very fast.

Re-read the sequence of your statements:

You asked the question without FIRST providing the context of where you are, which makes it a poorly-phrased query. [Also Cows are surprisingly fast, at around 25 MPH on a gallop.]

Next time you use this [tired] question, include the context. As in, "Assuming you're in Illinois, and you head hoof beats".......

So, turning back to this team, we have to know FIRST if KW/RH will stupidly pull another Kimbrel trade, or will they actually address the needs at the TDL? Also, will TLR and his staff get better at their jobs, or will they still suck?

The background information is cogent to the hoof beat question, as well as to the playoff question.

17 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Agreed. With ouchy Kopech and "mature" SPs Lynn and Keuchel in the rotation, will TLR let them pitch well byond them having anything? Will he use Crochet back-to-back in a playoff game when he shouldn't?

Re-read the sequence of your statements:

You asked the question without FIRST providing the context of where you are, which makes it a poorly-phrased query. [Also Cows are surprisingly fast, at around 25 MPH on a gallop.]

Next time you use this [tired] question, include the context. As in, "Assuming you're in Illinois, and you head hoof beats".......

So, turning back to this team, we have to know FIRST if KW/RH will stupidly pull another Kimbrel trade, or will they actually address the needs at the TDL? Also, will TLR and his staff get better at their jobs, or will they still suck?

The background information is cogent to the hoof beat question, as well as to the playoff question.

It's not poorly worded. It is a question that makes you think critically and answer it using your best available information as you never have all of the information. What is the best answer?

Your mind would explode in the medical field.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, except for the fact that Hahn has never managed to do this before in a decade as GM, so there's that.

I just think you (and many others) are greatly exaggerating what this roster really needs to compete and win in the playoffs. 

I’m just hoping we get to see TA, Robert, Yoan, Eloy, Jose and Grandal all in the lineup for the vast majority of the year. How great of a core that is and how little time they’ve all been on the field at the same time goes overlooked. 

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's not poorly worded. It is a question that makes you think critically and answer it using your best available information as you never have all of the information. What is the best answer?

Your mind would explode in the medical field.

Incorrect.

You asking, "If you hear hoof beats behind approaching rapidly, you what type of animal is it?" without FIRST providing context and location, its poorly worded.

It would be on the same level as you asking a student, "If a patient cannot abduct, which joint could be injured?" without FIRST specifying which limb the patient is attempting to abduct.

Or a note in a chart stating that a patient has elevated phosphorus, without FIRST noting that the patient does/does not have ESRD.

As it pertains to the SOX, they are right now worse today [independent of injuries] than they were at the end of last season, worse than at last TDL, and worse than OD 2021. Given KW/RH's rich history of fucking up, we would have to first include the context of whether or not they'll fuck up. Again.

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Incorrect.

You asking, "If you hear hoof beats behind approaching rapidly, you what type of animal is it?" without FIRST providing context and location, its poorly worded.

It would be on the same level as you asking a student, "If a patient cannot abduct, which joint could be injured?" without FIRST specifying which limb the patient is attempting to abduct.

Or a note in a chart stating that a patient has elevated phosphorus, without FIRST noting that the patient does/does not have ESRD.

As it pertains to the SOX, they are right now worse today [independent of injuries] than they were at the end of last season, worse than at last TDL, and worse than OD 2021. Given KW/RH's rich history of fucking up, we would have to first include the context of whether or not they'll fuck up. Again.

Then don’t vote in the poll, nobody gives a shit. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1