Will This Team Win a Playoff Series Poll

Texsox

Playoff Series Win Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will this team win a playoff series?

6 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Incorrect.

You asking, "If you hear hoof beats behind approaching rapidly, you what type of animal is it?" without FIRST providing context and location, its poorly worded.

It would be on the same level as you asking a student, "If a patient cannot abduct, which joint could be injured?" without FIRST specifying which limb the patient is attempting to abduct.

Or a note in a chart stating that a patient has elevated phosphorus, without FIRST noting that the patient does/does not have ESRD.

As it pertains to the SOX, they are right now worse today [independent of injuries] than they were at the end of last season, worse than at last TDL, and worse than OD 2021. Given KW/RH's rich history of fucking up, we would have to first include the context of whether or not they'll fuck up. Again.

I don't need to provide context to it. You need to determine the best answer given the information you have.

Information is intentionally left out so you can think critically and determine the best answer.

You need to answer the question as given.

For the Sox information that you gave and everything you think you know about the entire team and organization answer the question.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Again, answer the question as it stands with the best available information you currently have.

It doesn't say based on what happens in the future or what might happen.

So then this should be a fairly easy question to answer, right? 

In the last 100 years (1922-2022) the White Sox have won 3 playoff series, and they all happened in 2005. One magical team won three playoff series for this franchise. 

If I'm going off of the information I have to work with about this franchise, it seems fairly unlikely but I'm hoping for the best. It took COVID to get them into the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in franchise history, but they did it. 

Maybe they can actually win a playoff series too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

So then this should be a fairly easy question to answer, right? 

In the last 100 years (1922-2022) the White Sox have won 3 playoff series, and they all happened in 2005. One magical team won three playoff series for this franchise. 

If I'm going off of the information I have to work with about this franchise, it seems fairly unlikely but I'm hoping for the best. It took COVID to get them into the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in franchise history, but they did it. 

Maybe they can actually win a playoff series too. 

Than that's your answer if you think that is the best information you have available.

Some might use information more recent than the last 100 years but if you think that is the best information, there you go.

The best information in medicine isn't always right either. This is why we have malpractice lawyers.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Than that's your answer if you think that is the best information you have available.

Some might use information more recent than the last 100 years but if you think that is the best information, there you go.

The best information in medicine isn't always right either. This is why we have malpractice lawyers.

Not sure that's going to help the argument of them winning a playoff series. 

18 hours ago, Texsox said:

The family and friends I talk to who don't post here are all fired up and would probably send in deposits for WS tickets today. They don't seem to care about lack of SP depth, RF, 2nd, etc. 

Expand on the etc. part please.  You make it sound like all contending teams have studs at every position.

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not sure that's going to help the argument of them winning a playoff series. 

Not saying it will. The answer from the information may be that they won't based on the 2 answers available. Not what we want but that is a possibility.

3 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I know I’m  very pessimistic on here, but I truly don’t believe this team is any better than last year. Realistically I think we beat up on the weak teams again win the division by 5-7 games, and lose again in the first round. We have no depth, still giant holes at 2nd/Rf, and a lot of players who frequently miss time throughout the years. 

Yes you are a glass half empty, Atlanta won the World Series by signing 3 outfielders midseason, every team has holes in their line-up.  The only thing that will stop the Sox is their defense.  If that doesn't improve, especially by the pitchers holding runners on base then we may be in for a repeat.  Conforto or a new 2B are not going to win anything for the Sox in April, May, and June.  Let's look at our needs midseason to see how the platoons play out in RF and 2B before searching for help at the trade deadline.

20 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Expand on the etc. part please.  You make it sound like all contending teams have studs at every position.

The sox quite literally have either superstar, stars or recent top 25 prospects at 7/9 positions, a top 4 in the rotation that rivals anyone in the league and at worst a top 2 bullpen in the game.  Problem is, we had most of that stuff already.  Most of us expected the Sox to make the final touches on the roster this offseason, so we're all disappointed that didn't happen.  But this team remains extremely good.   

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The sox quite literally have either superstar, stars or recent top 25 prospects at 7/9 positions, a top 4 in the rotation that rivals anyone in the league and at worst a top 2 bullpen in the game.  Problem is, we had most of that stuff already.  Most of us expected the Sox to make the final touches on the roster this offseason, so we're all disappointed that didn't happen.  But this team remains extremely good.   

What final touches Semien & Conforto, and have the highest payroll in baseball? Robert, Eloy, Engel and Yaz missed a good portion of the season. and toss in Rodon's second half falloff.  If everyone can stay healthy at least to the extent their not out for months, than the Sox will be improved without signing anyone.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I don't need to provide context to it. You need to determine the best answer given the information you have.

Information is intentionally left out so you can think critically and determine the best answer.

For the Sox information that you gave and everything you think you know about the entire team and organization answer the question.

Sure but then no long-winded rants making up things that might happen to get mad about is possible.

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

What final touches Semien & Conforto, and have the highest payroll in baseball? Robert, Eloy, Engel and Yaz missed a good portion of the season. and toss in Rodon's second half falloff.  If everyone can stay healthy at least to the extent their not out for months, than the Sox will be improved without signing anyone.

That's a lot of if, but yeah.  Sox aren't going to stay healthy all year.  But hopefully its not key players for long periods of time like it was in 21.

Sox were never signing Semien.  Conforto did and still does make a ton of sense.  And they wouldn't have even close to the highest payroll in baseball with those 2 signed. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's a lot of if, but yeah.  Sox aren't going to stay healthy all year.  But hopefully its not key players for long periods of time like it was in 21.

Sox were never signing Semien.  Conforto did and still does make a ton of sense.  And they wouldn't have even close to the highest payroll in baseball with those 2 signed. 

Sox payroll is 7th highest in baseball at 169.2, add 18 million for what Conforto already turned down that brings them up to 187.6 which would be the 4th highest payroll behind the Mets, Dodgers, and Yankee's.  If the SOX made Rodon a QO and he accepted that would add another 18 million that puts them at 205.6 which is still good for 4th place but without signing a stud at 2B like everyone wanted.  Of course they would have probably have shed Kimbrel's 16 million but that would still have them right up there with the top 3 in all of MLB.  Certainly not fitting for a team who's fans watch from the couch instead of going to the games and supporting their beloved team so we could sign some stud players.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

To be fair to you, this is a far better clarifier than the tired "if you hear hooves" song and dance.

That said, Tony's is as good an answer, given the way the question was posed.

18 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

To be fair to you, this is a far better clarifier than the tired "if you hear hooves" song and dance.

That said, Tony's is as good an answer, given the way the question was posed.

That question follows the same thought process. It's not meant to be clear. You rarely have all of the information and have to answer with what you have and take your best guess. Questions rarely have one definitive absolute answer. You need to choose the best one. 

For example your question about abduction, the best answer from the information you gave would be all of the joints for which abduction is one of the motions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I tend to be one of the more positive posters around here, but as this roster stands right now, I voted no.  We're still way too right handed heavy, and this lineup will get carved up more often than not against elite RHP. Usually that is what you're going to see in the playoffs.  No one is starting non-elite LHP against the Sox in the playoffs - saw the Astros avoid it last season, and we'll continue to see that happen until the Sox address their weakness. Sox pitching is good enough to compete in the playoffs, but we need big steps forward from Cease and Kopech in order to have true ace potential at the TOR. Gio and Lynn are more like rock solid 2s.   

That being said, there is no reason this team cannot win a 5 game series against the likes NYY, Bos, TB, TOR, and LAA.  But I don't see the Sox as the favorites as things stand currently. 

But don’t we have a way better roster than the teams you listed at the bottom of your post?

🤷‍♂

I feel bad for any Sox fan that said No. Are you going to watch games and keep cheering for the Sox if, in your mind, you don't think they can win a playoff series ?

If the Sox make the playoff are you going to be saying ,based on your answering NO , that they won't have chance to win ? Of course not ! Because at that point the team could be on a roll with an MVP type season from Robert , a Cy Young year from LuGio, Cease advancing another step, a batting title for TA, 40 bombs from Eloy, 25 bombs from Vaughn , Moncada, Abreu, Grandal and Sheets , a killer bullpen and some TDL help .

The question is based on your belief in how the upcoming season plays out, not on the off season or comparing them to last year. Just like with prospects , growth isn't linear. We have yet to experience the true potential of the Sox young players all in one season. That could actually happen . If you believe in the upside of all these guys, imagine that upside in full bloom.

2 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Yes you are a glass half empty, Atlanta won the World Series by signing 3 outfielders midseason, every team has holes in their line-up.  The only thing that will stop the Sox is their defense.  If that doesn't improve, especially by the pitchers holding runners on base then we may be in for a repeat.  Conforto or a new 2B are not going to win anything for the Sox in April, May, and June.  Let's look at our needs midseason to see how the platoons play out in RF and 2B before searching for help at the trade deadline.

Rick?  What is your plan, carefully strategized with TLR, coaching staff and pitchers/catchers during the offseason...to hold down the opponent's running attack and improve the CS percentage?  Is the loss of Rodon the extent of the improvement plan here?

My buddy who played in the Mets organization, runs a baseball academy, and happens to be a Cub fan was shocked that all Sox fans aren't excited about this team. 

I'm glad to see a 60-40 split in favor of advancing. 

15 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

No. I think it's more that the majority of fans who aren't involved to the point of posting on message boards focus on the positives in the line up. The rest of us need something to talk about and discussing how solid the team is at most positions didn't sustain itself. So we keep trying to find solutions to the problems. Seriously, how long would a discussion go discussing our SS or CF situation? 

14 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Sox payroll is 7th highest in baseball at 169.2, add 18 million for what Conforto already turned down that brings them up to 187.6 which would be the 4th highest payroll behind the Mets, Dodgers, and Yankee's.  If the SOX made Rodon a QO and he accepted that would add another 18 million that puts them at 205.6 which is still good for 4th place but without signing a stud at 2B like everyone wanted.  Of course they would have probably have shed Kimbrel's 16 million but that would still have them right up there with the top 3 in all of MLB.  Certainly not fitting for a team who's fans watch from the couch instead of going to the games and supporting their beloved team so we could sign some stud players.

This argument sounds familiar?  KW?   They might want to win an actual playoff series before complaining about fan support.

And just spending a lot doesn’t buy fans or success.  Ask the Mets.   That blackout game playoff atmosphere against Houston was electric, despite the rough start to the series.

Don’t ask whether you spend the money, but what you spend it on.

Edited by caulfield12