White Sox vs. Guardians 8/20 5:10pm CDT (Cueto vs. Bieber)

Greg Hibbard

Bieber is one of those few elite pitchers who can get by at 91-92. 

It's the difference of having a great breaking pitching pitch to go with it. 

Lucas Giolito better figure out his breaking pitch soon if he plans to cash in on a long term deal somewhere. 

I've read about hitters like Marcus Semien & Schwarber using high speed pitching machines to improve results against sliders. See them over & over in BP/training and eventually they got much better at hitting them. I honestly wonder if the Sox have any of their hitters working with tools like that. It certainly doesn't see that way.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

He's going to be a 4 win player but it doesn't count because he doesn't hit enough HR's.

Or make good contact while getting a lot of hits while playing decent defense or running the bases well. The only thing that counts in being a very good player is BABIP "luck" which in good hitters isn't really luck at all which some people who like to use BABIP never understand.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Or make good contact while getting a lot of hits while playing decent defense or running the bases well. The only thing that counts in being a very good player is BABIP "luck" which in good hitters isn't really luck at all which some people who like to use BABIP never understand.

Kwan will likely always have BABIP luck due to how he can spray the ball around the field 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Kwan will likely always have BABIP luck due to how he can spray the ball around the field 

Exactly what I was saying. I don't know how Kwan's career is going to go but guys like Carew, Gwynn, Boggs, Rose they master bat control, barrel it , go with pitches , balanced at the plate  hit it everywhere.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think players who have extreme skillsets generally get undervalued for whatever reason. It's easy to look at someone like Kwan, or Gallo on the other extreme, and fixate on what they don't do well to make the argument they aren't actually good players. But at the end of the day, production is production, and Kwan is a very good hitter and well rounded player, like you said.

It's also not like he's running a .400 BABIP or anything. A .329 BABIP isn't unreasonable at all for someone with his bat control, speed, and batted ball profile.