Guardians move to 3rd best MiLB system, Sox 26th

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think Chaim Bloom will be available!

Personally I'd go after a Braves FO. I think most of this board was a fan of Anthropolous in TOR, but then he learns in LA and takes over in ATL has pushed all the right buttons. Granted, he didn't build ATL up from scratch.

But ATL is the one other org you can look at and see a successful version of what the sox can be. The Rays can't be recreated exactly with the sox, as they get additional top 40 draft picks and an extra million in INTL money every year. The dodgers have a front office probably 3x the white sox, and an easy $300 mil.

But the sox can look at the braves and be like "why the hell are they so much better than us so often" and should be embarrassed. We have similar revenue (or did before battery park), similar competitive rules, and have been way less competitive for the last 40 years.

At least be the Brewers or Mariners, and ideally, Cardinals.

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I do agree on the latter.  He came out of no where and kind of had a junkballer delivery which fooled people for a while IIRC>

Like Takatsu as well...

Boiling Sox failures down is easily summarized by a decade of first rounders not named Sale/Anderson, almost all Hahn free agency and intl free agents outside Cuba, especially the DR.

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At least be the Brewers or Mariners, and ideally, Cardinals.

2/3 teams get extra team building resources than the Sox do, and then congrats you named a team the Sox have been more successful than as a team to emulate.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Personally I'd go after a Braves FO. I think most of this board was a fan of Anthropolous in TOR, but then he learns in LA and takes over in ATL has pushed all the right buttons. Granted, he didn't build ATL up from scratch.

But ATL is the one other org you can look at and see a successful version of what the sox can be. The Rays can't be recreated exactly with the sox, as they get additional top 40 draft picks and an extra million in INTL money every year. The dodgers have a front office probably 3x the white sox, and an easy $300 mil.

But the sox can look at the braves and be like "why the hell are they so much better than us so often" and should be embarrassed. We have similar revenue (or did before battery park), similar competitive rules, and have been way less competitive for the last 40 years.

I would love to have Chaim Bloom being he is from the TB tree. However he is already the top baseball executive at Boston. Why would he make a lateral move to go to our Sox that would spend less money than his current team? Plus Boston has a much more developed farm system #11 vs Sox #26. 

We need to find a GM in a successful organization and give him an incentive to move to Chicago to be the top dog president from their current GM spot. 

My only comparison to TB and LA was not to have the Sox be exactly like them, but to hire a successful executive from those two clubs. The point is the people from the Andrew Friedman tree are very successful. I realize Friedman would not come to the Sox. Yet is there anyone who doesn't think that if he was in charge of the White Sox he couldn't make the Sox a major championship caliber team? He did with two completely different club structures. Whether he had the money or not to spend, Friedman built winners at both clubs and both clubs also had top notch farm systems. Finding someone under his executive tree makes good sense.

There are obviously other clubs that we could recruit from including Atlanta as you suggest. However the bottom line is we need to go to the outside and get someone from a consistent winning organization. 

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I would love to have Chaim Bloom being he is from the TB tree. However he is already the top baseball executive at Boston. Why would he make a lateral move to go to our Sox that would spend less money than his current team? Plus Boston has a much more developed farm system #11 vs Sox #26. 

We need to find a GM in a successful organization and give him an incentive to move to Chicago to be the top dog president from their current GM spot. 

My only comparison to TB and LA was not to have the Sox be exactly like them, but to hire a successful executive from those two clubs. The point is the people from the Andrew Friedman tree are very successful. I realize Friedman would not come to the Sox. Yet is there anyone who doesn't think that if he was in charge of the White Sox he couldn't make the Sox a major championship caliber team? He did with two completely different club structures. Whether he had the money or not to spend, Friedman built winners at both clubs and both clubs also had top notch farm systems. Finding someone under his executive tree makes good sense.

There are obviously other clubs that we could recruit from including Atlanta as you suggest. However the bottom line is we need to go to the outside and get someone from a consistent winning organization. 

Because people hate him there and he may be fired.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Because people hate him there and he may be fired.

Well if you are referring to the fans hating him, then as we know here in White Sox land, that doesn't amount to anything. However if the John Henry decided to fire him, then by all means I would love Bloom as an option. I would still try to recruit a TB or LAD guy.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Everyone with the Sox right now gets a promotion up the ladder and not fired.

Chris Getz will be the next GM.

Jim Leyland unretires and is hired as manager

https://www.si.com/mlb/guardians/news/cleveland-guardians-announce-2022-developmental-staff-assignments

Following is Cleveland's 2022 player development staff.
  • Field coordinator: John McDonald. Assistant field coordinator: Anthony Medrano. ...
  • Triple-A Columbus. Manager: Andy Tracy. ...
  • Double-A Akron. Manager: Rouglas Odor. ...
  • High-A Lake County. Manager: Greg DiCenzo. ...
  • Low-A Lynchburg. Manager: Omir Santos. ...
  • Arizona Complex League.

Jennifer Wolf - Assistant Director, Player Development - Life Skills

Assistant Director, Player Development - Life Skills. Cleveland Guardians Georgetown University - The McDonough School of Business. 

Ilana Mishkin - Assistant Director, Player Development - LinkedIn

Ilana Mishkin · Assistant Director, Player Development at Cleveland Guardians

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

No quality GM will come here until Jerry is dead, and the next ownership group is established. Only the desperate would step into this situation, especially if La Russa is here in some capacity.

• Thanks 1

https://www.si.com/mlb/guardians/opinion/cleveland-guardians-are-in-good-company-in-modern-mlb-era
Guardians also the youngest team in baseball…pretty sure KC was also #3 or #4 in that category.  Key match up with Seattle continues this weekend.

https://www.mlb.com/video/guardians-keys-to-success

Edited by caulfield12

16 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

No quality GM will come here until Jerry is dead, and the next ownership group is established. Only the desperate would step into this situation, especially if La Russa is here in some capacity.

Sadly you might be right. I guess until Jerry dies and some successful billionaire buys this team, which probably with our luck, will take way too many years, our Sox will continue to field underachieving and mediocre teams. What a pathetic and dismal future for die-hard Sox fans! 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/guardians/opinion/cleveland-guardians-are-in-good-company-in-modern-mlb-era
Guardians also the youngest team in baseball…pretty sure KC was also #3 or #4 in that category.  Key match up with Seattle continues this weekend.

https://www.mlb.com/video/guardians-keys-to-success

How are they winning without a $95M 7th-9th inning bullpen?

• Hendriks $54M
  • Graveman $24M
  • Kelly $17M
Edited by South Side Hit Men

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If Hahn tries a power play and losses I could easily see a scenario where Getz steps into Haber's role of running the day to day operations and Kenny takes control of the 40 man.  I don't think Reinsdorf will hire anyone from outside the organization.  

As long as he doesn't care at all about attendance next season.

I guess most fans would indiffernt to Williams.  It's TLR and Hahn that are far and away the most polarizing.

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If Hahn tries a power play and losses I could easily see a scenario where Getz steps into Haber's role of running the day to day operations and Kenny takes control of the 40 man.  I don't think Reinsdorf will hire anyone from outside the organization.  

There is no evidence to think otherwise. 

Luhnow.

The 24-year-old Oscar Gonzalez, who debuted on May 26, has the best offensive numbers of any player we haven’t already named to a starting spot, and he’s seen some time at DH this year (in addition to right field) for the Guards. Listed at 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, Gonzalez is an imposing presence who has made his presence known early, with a .303/.329/.478 slash line and 25 extra-base hits in his first 210 plate appearances. Gonzalez wasn’t ranked as a prospect and wasn’t protected from the Rule 5 Draft (that didn’t end up happening) last year, but he’s been impressive.

Left field: Steven Kwan, Guardians
The 24-year-old Kwan wasn’t widely cited as a top prospect to watch going into 2022, but he made Cleveland’s Opening Day roster and instantly made history, becoming the first player since at least 1901 to reach base safely 15 times in his first four games and the first since at least 2000 to go 116 pitches without a swing-and-miss. We’ve seen many players debut with some kind of historical oddity and quickly fade into oblivion. Not so with Kwan. With an approach not all that unlike that of Ichiro, Kwan has made the necessary adjustments as this season has rolled along and been an important leadoff presence for the first-place Guards’ high-contact lineup, with a .298/.371/.393 slash line. He’s been an excellent defender in left, too, as evidenced Friday, when he pulled a Derek Jeter with a swan dive (Kwan dive?) into the stands.

mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12