9/6 Sox @ Mariners GT, 8:40PM CT, NBCSC

Tnetennba

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I was talking to a friend of mine who's a big baseball fan and really big into fantasy baseball. We were talking about Cease and he asked me if there was anyone besides Cease that has outperformed expectations on the team this year. I immediately said Cueto, but after that...I literally couldn't think of anyone else. It's amazing that not one guy on the offensive side of the ball has had a career year or even a real good year by their standards. 

Lopez, Lambert.  The offense has been a disaster.

Just now, chw42 said:

I was talking to a friend of mine who's a big baseball fan and really big into fantasy baseball. We were talking about Cease and he asked me if there was anyone besides Cease that has outperformed expectations on the team this year. I immediately said Cueto, but after that...I literally couldn't think of anyone else. It's amazing that not one guy on the offensive side of the ball has had a career year or even a real good year by their standards. 

It is the one thing that gives me hope for next year - most are due to bounce back - but the issues can't be ignored cause they are real. For example - Grandal is clearly done or a much more part time player given his knee.  And the defense clearly sucks and that isnt' on Vaughn/Sheets - that is on the GM for handing the mgr such a flawed defensive roster.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

It is the one thing that gives me hope for next year - most are due to bounce back - but the issues can't be ignored cause they are real. For example - Grandal is clearly done or a much more part time player given his knee.  And the defense clearly sucks and that isnt' on Vaughn/Sheets - that is on the GM for handing the mgr such a flawed defensive roster.  

Better get all new coaches and retool the roster.  We both know it’s not going to happen.  It sure as hell sounds like Tony will be back next year.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

and this ballgame is ovaaaaa

Cueto deserved better. again.

The offense did not deliver. Usual maladies: no clutch hitting, not scoring a man on 3 rd with less than two outs, refusing to take walks and swinging at pitchers way out of the zone, power outage, etc.

10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Good things happen when you pull the ball in the air. Hopefully the next Sox GM and hitting coach realizes that.

I wonder if they'll go back to the lively ball next season. If you are gonna strike out 14 times like the Sox, you better lift and pull 3-4 homers a night.

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Moncada has a chance to bounce back just cause of his age and his lingering injuries this year. Grandal is cooked unless he goes back on PEDs. That might not be the worst thing since he's on the last year of his deal anyhow. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Lopez, Lambert.  The offense has been a disaster.

I eventually thought of Lopez. It's crazy just how bad of results we've gotten from the offense.

Moncada - really bad

Grandal - cooked

Anderson - hurt

Eloy - hurt, but decent when healthy

Robert - hurt

Jose is literally the only core guy who hasn't gotten hurt and is actually playing well. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Moncada has a chance to bounce back just cause of his age and his lingering injuries this year. Grandal is cooked unless he goes back on PEDs. That might not be the worst thing since he's on the last year of his deal anyhow. 

I think we're going to find out after the season Grandal is having surgery on like 7 different parts of his body. I haven't given up on him for next year, but for right now, it's obvious he just isn't physically capable of doing more than drawing walks and hitting singles.

I eventually thought of Lopez. It's crazy just how bad of results we've gotten from the offense.

Moncada - really bad

Grandal - cooked

Anderson - hurt

Robert - hurt

Jose is literally the only core guy who hasn't gotten hurt and is actually playing well. 

It's not Vaughn's fault that he gives back most of the value from a ~130 wRC+ by having to play the outfield most days. He's given the Sox everything they realistically could have hoped for from him this season.

• Haha 1

Moncada - really bad

Grandal - cooked

Anderson - hurt

Robert - hurt

He's become a glorified singles hitter that only plays one position.  They way this organization is structured you really can't resign him.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's not Vaughn's fault that he gives back most of the value from a ~130 wRC+ by having to play the outfield most days. He's given the Sox everything they realistically could have hoped for from him this season.

Dude gets sore legs.  It reminds me of an NL player going to be a DH in the AL and feels they don't have to work hard.   He could also work on his speed.   Who knows what these guys do in the offseason.  Maybe he does that.

The way injuries are in baseball, the DH/1B may be the least marketable position.   

4 minutes ago, napa_soxfan said:

2.87 era for Cueto and he’s 7-7. That’s pitiful. Really feel for him and imagine he’s seething at times watching the offense provide little support…

I'm sure he'd like to grab a bat and help his own cause....and his career batting avg is .101

• Haha 1