Eloy

Bob Sacamano

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is why I’m never trading Eloy. He’s just an amazing bat when healthy. 

Yep.  We have a young stud DH here, just don’t get greedy and think he can also play outfield.  I am also ok telling him to chill on the bases.. can never completely avoid injury risk, but I feel good that if he stays at DH and doesn’t try to leg out hustle doubles or score from 1st on a ball in the gap, etc that he can stay relatively healthy and put up huge numbers.

9 minutes ago, RJSox_22 said:

Yep.  We have a young stud DH here, just don’t get greedy and think he can also play outfield.  I am also ok telling him to chill on the bases.. can never completely avoid injury risk, but I feel good that if he stays at DH and doesn’t try to leg out hustle doubles or score from 1st on a ball in the gap, etc that he can stay relatively healthy and put up huge numbers.

Eloy is the one who has been adamant he is an outfielder and not a DH. The FO supported him publicly, but likely saw what all of us saw since he was called up. If Eloy has matured this year, and will accept playing DH regularly, then he will be an asset to the White Sox. If he continues to demand playing LF, and continuing missing 100 games per season, including on preventable injuries, than he is not an asset to the White Sox. In terms of what he wears, I could give a rats ass. Just don't do stupid s%*# out there drawing a risk of injury for yourself and your teammates. 

Eloy on DHing:

2019: “I don’t feel comfortable playing DH,” Jimenez said in an interview with MLB’s Jon Paul Morosi. “I like playing the outfield. I don’t care if it’s right field or left field, but I feel comfortable in the outfield. I don’t like being the DH. For me, it’s boring. https://tireball.com/mlb/2019/11/12/eloy-jimenez-not-interested-in-playing-dh/

2020:  Jimenez plays left field, and he said he’s working very hard to improve defensively. “It’s going to be better,” Jimenez said. https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-soxfest-eloy-jimenez-dylan-cease-20200125-hu5tl3uxhnba5kqiyfmgxijt3i-story.html

2020: "No, f*** that:" https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/eloy-jimenez-says-fk-thought-dhing-while-pledging-defensive-improvement

2021: 

2021: "We had a talk, and he said that (he didn't like to DH)," La Russa relayed before Monday's game in Kansas City. "I said, 'Well, you control your mind, and the days that you're DH'ing, you've just got to stay involved. Sit on the bench like you're playing left field. But you're DH'ing today.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/nbcsports/white-sox-eloy-jimenez-no-fan-of-dhing-but-there-in-return/2566359/

Eloy's DH vs. LF Batting Splits:

Also, his splits are he has hit far better as a LF than as a DH, even accounting for his solid 2022 majority DH plate appearances (135 DH vs. 113 LF). Perhaps this year is the first year he feels comfortable play DH, not finding it "boring" or for "old fat guys" and being engaged when he is batting. That said, perhaps a portion of the underperformance to date can be attributed to the fact that when he DHs, he is likely dealing with an injury.

• Left Field: .858 OPS in 959 PA
  • DH: .746 OPS in 250 PA

3 hours ago, RJSox_22 said:

That's the Sox MO.  I disagree with trying to plan around injury.  How many players on this team fit the above?  Every team knows the Sox don't hustle in an attempt to stay healthy.

If Eloy is exclusively deployed as a DH he will only become more prone to injury. That is inevitable for a DH who no longer has to run much or stay in shape for that role yet is asked to come  off the bench cold 5 times a game. Eloy needs to play LF for at least half the games. He's only 26 years old..

Edited by tray
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, tray said:

If Eloy is exclusively deployed as a DH he will only become more prone to injury. That is inevitable for a DH who no longer has to run much or stay in shape for that role yet is asked to come  off the bench cold 5 times a game. Eloy needs to play LF for at least half the games. He's only 26 years old..

Yordan Alvarez is only 25 and has only played 47 games in the outfield this year. I think Eloy’s bat can be that level good if not better. Half the games is being generous.

Nothing wrong with being a young DH.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

That is inevitable for a DH who no longer has to run much or stay in shape 

If the guy can't stay in shape with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, I don't want him.

Personally, I'd like to go into the season with Eloy as the 4th outfielder.  He will still get plenty of time out there, so you aren't completely shutting the door on his future upside.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tray said:

If Eloy isn't interested in a nine figure contract, he was never going to be that good anyway.  I don't know what is more injury prone than playing as few games as he does currently, but sure.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Eloy isn't interested in a nine figure contract, he was never going to be that good anyway.  I don't know what is more injury prone than playing as few games as he does currently, but sure.

I think part of Eloy's issue is he has gotten much bigger then a few years ago. I'm not saying he's fat or anything like that but it's clear he's put on weight probably muscle. That may be making him even more injury prone. As others have mentioned he needs to lose some weight, cut down on weight training and do more cardio and flexibility exercises. 

But that's up to the Sox medical, training and conditioning staff to determine and personally based on what's been happening the past few years, I don't think they are very good in these areas.

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think part of Eloy's issue is he has gotten much bigger then a few years ago. I'm not saying he's fat or anything like that but it's clear he's put on weight probably muscle. That may be making him even more injury prone. As others have mentioned he needs to lose some weight, cut down on weight training and do more cardio and flexibility exercises. 

But that's up to the Sox medical, training and conditioning staff to determine and personally based on what's been happening the past few years, I don't think they are very good in these areas.

I think the bad part of all ML players is bulking up.   

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 8:27 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

If he continues to demand playing LF, and continuing missing 100 games per season, including on preventable injuries, than he is not an asset to the White Sox.

Eloy injured his hamstring running to first base.  His other major injury was a compete fluke, reaching over the wall to try to catch a ball. He can easily avoid doing that again but no player is immune from injury.

As far as not being an asset, well you have your own opinion and I'll just say I disagree.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

Eloy injured his hamstring running to first base.  His other major injury was a compete fluke, reaching over the wall to try to catch a ball. He can easily avoid doing that again but no player is immune from injury.

One of the preventable injuries I noted in my post. It was an exhibition game, and even if it were a real game, that ball was far out of reach. The other preventable injuries were the ongoing collisions with Luis Robert, which put both at risk. Luis is the CF, Eloy needs to back off when called off.

If Eloy can play regularly and is focused on hitting as he has been the past few weeks, he is a very valuable asset. If he is out for long stretches, and when he is finally healthy pouting and saying DHing is boring and is for fat old people, and saying “f*** No, I’m not a DH”, than he is not an asset.

It appears from the outside he may have matured this season, at least had a wake up call two weeks ago after Cairo took over. 

On 9/11/2022 at 12:47 PM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yeah between guys like Eloy and TA a lot of people here show their true colors when talking about them. Obviously a fan can criticize a players on field performance all they want, but when the critique is about how a player is dressed or about their personality there’s definitely something else going on. 

I don't see much similar between Eloy and Tim.  Except for ...oh never mind.  Why don't we all watch a couple of cat videos and relax.

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

One of the preventable injuries I noted in my post. It was an exhibition game, and even if it were a real game, that ball was far out of reach.

Fluke injury

The other preventable injuries were the ongoing collisions with Luis Robert, which put both at risk. Luis is the CF, Eloy needs to back off when called off.

Ongoing collisions? I don't recall any of those.

If Eloy can play regularly and is focused on hitting as he has been the past few weeks, he is a very valuable asset.

Check Eloy's career average numbers

If he is out for long stretches, and when he is finally healthy pouting and saying DHing is boring and is for fat old people, and saying “f*** No, I’m not a DH”, than he is not an asset.

Eloy will continue to play several games in the outfield and be a part time DH ...whether you like it or not. 

Eloy is a better and faster outfielder than Sheets or Vaughn, which isn't saying he is a good outfielder.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Here is the list of Eloy's injuries, many of which were caused by him trying to play the outfield:

https://southsideshowdown.com/2021/07/01/eloy-jimenez-injury-updates-history/

That's your way of looking at it.  My way is that all but the collision injury were caused by being overweight and not stretched out.

Edit: Didn't we all forget getting hit by a foul ball in the dugout?

Edited by Stinky Stanky

8 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

That's your way of looking at it.  My way is that all but the collision injury were caused by being overweight and not stretched out.

Alternatively, doing everything we can to minimize Eloy's injuries makes sense.  Not letting him play the OF does just that.  We also avoid Eloy getting in the way of Robert, TA and Moncada defensively and hurting them, too.  

Eloy is perhaps a marginally better OF than AV.  But he's not good.  Sox need him in the middle of the lineup hitting homers and driving in runs.  Even moreso next season when one of Pito/AV are gone.  

Sox need to to flank Robert with real OFs next season.  Sign a RF (Nimmo makes most sense), let Pollock play LF until Colas arrives a month or so into the season, and then platoon the two thereafter.  Pollock then becomes injury insurance for all of the OF, and Sheets is in AAA waiting for Eloy to get hurt.  All of Eloy, AV and Sheets should only play the OF occasionally after this season.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

I think instead of moaning about Eloy's past injuries, we should be celebrating what he is doing now. Two major injuries yet who has been better in all of baseball this second half? Judge, definitely. Goldschmidt is doing other worldly things. Lowe? It's a short list and Eloy still isn't 100%. Just tell him, if he wants to play LF next year, come to camp in shape and be ready to have an MVP season.

The player that should concern everyone is Robert. He is not rebounding well and this team needs both to truly be considered a contender. It's really why we area struggling .500 team. These two have not played together nearly enough. Need both to be healthy next year unless you trade for a Goldschmidt or sign a Judge.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I agree that his gaining a lot of weight (I assume it is muscle and not fat) has a LOT to do with his situation and I posted that opinion. I was simply posting a link to a story recounting his many injuries.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:53 PM, RJSox_22 said:

I feel good that if he stays at DH and doesn’t try to leg out hustle doubles or score from 1st on a ball in the gap, etc that he can stay relatively healthy and put up huge numbers.

I like Eloy too but this is kind of silly IMO. A baseball player needs to leg out hustle doubles and triples and score from first when applicable. Get a fricking trainer who can make these guys' bodies do simple things like uh, run? I can see him stepping on first base wrong while hustling on a slow roller hit to third but geez u still have to take your chances and hustle at all times. I think you keep one of our injury prone guys, Eloy, Moncada or Robert and get rid of the other two. Get rid of Grandal too somehow. And Pollock. And Harrison. Lot of bad players on the Sox and in the league.