Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That works for me, but I don't consider that "investing" in youth.

I did also say player development , which isn't necessarily players but  more like getting the tools necessary (scouts,coaches and all the up to date tech, new departments etc.). At least Garrett isn't the typical Sox guy who is more of a DH OF than anything. He's a burner with power who can field.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I did also say player development , which isn't necessarily players but  more like getting the tools necessary (scouts,coaches and all the up to date tech, new departments etc.). At least Garrett isn't the typical Sox guy who is more of a DH OF than anything. He's a burner with power who can field.

That's much more of a multi-year process, which obviously I'm totally ok with fixing. In terms of this offseason though, I'm more concerned about them doing things that make this team worse 3 years from now. "Oops we traded away our 15th ranked prospect and now he's an all star, but we signed Benintendi/Melky Cabrera to a 4 year deal and now we have him for 2 more seasons" kinda stuff. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That's much more of a multi-year process, which obviously I'm totally ok with fixing. In terms of this offseason though, I'm more concerned about them doing things that make this team worse 3 years from now. "Oops we traded away our 15th ranked prospect and now he's an all star, but we signed Benintendi/Melky Cabrera to a 4 year deal and now we have him for 2 more seasons" kinda stuff. 

It’s gonna be so bad. Brace for the cringe brother

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Right we are more or less on the same page except rather than sign 2 meh players like Kiermaier and Gallo I'd just sign one and probably the best starting pitcher the Sox can find for $15-20M for 3 yrs max and that would be it. Always need pitching. The rest of the team just fill with young guys ready or not here they come. Seek some defense support the pitchers.

It's obvious the Grifol hiring was to get inside the young players heads and see if he can work some "be more like me" magic on them.  Work hard, communicate, if you want to be the best do what the best do , stop wasting your talent stuff.

Moncada may be a party boy alcoholic and he may need more than Grifol. At least we're hearing Grandal is working with the Hawks strength and conditioning guy. It may be called fluff but still it's a serious attempt to be better. Now if only we can hear about those things as the off season progresses for Moncada and others. It's really what the season hinges on, bounce backs from guys who were injured and terrible . Due for some good luck with Eloy and Robert.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Not that I was pushing for it, but Teoscar dealt to Seattle.

Teoscar doesn't make sense for this team. He destroys lefties, but is just alright against righties. We have a bunch of those types of hitters on the team already. 

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He's been replacement level for the vast majority of his career.

7 WAR over 6 seasons including 2020 isn't replacement level. It's a below average starter, but it's above replacement level. Replacement level is Adam Engel last year. 

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Would be a joke come true. Don't need to be wasting money on old, over the hill DH's.

He's also coming off shoulder surgery. It's his right shoulder and he throws with his left, so maybe it won't affect him too much in the OF. I'm not sure what the implications of a shoulder injury are for a hitter though. 

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

The team acquiring Giolito would get QO control.

The Sox would repalce him with a 1 year stop gap with zero control. 

Gotta really, really, really prefer the replacement to make that swap.  

You'd have to say " can the white sox make the $10 million work better than Giolito this year plus the possibility of a comp pick" and boy it's hard to say yes.

I like my trade still and would do it.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He's also coming off shoulder surgery. It's his right shoulder and he throws with his left, so maybe it won't affect him too much in the OF. I'm not sure what the implications of a shoulder injury are for a hitter though. 

I was all over wanting Brantley before he signed with Houston. Many here weren't because of injury history. Now its 4 years later and although still a fine hitter the Sox need guys who can catch the ball. There's no room for " but where would he play" guys. Eloy is the DH, period.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was all over wanting Brantley before he signed with Houston. Many here weren't because of injury history. Now its 4 years later and although still a fine hitter the Sox need guys who can catch the ball. There's no room for " but where would he play" guys. Eloy is the DH, period.

We all know he should be based on most of the off-season plans from the posters here but does the front office know this?

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

We all know he should be based on most of the off-season plans from the posters here but does the front office know this?

I think he'll play some time in the OF but he'll be the primary DH. I think they have finally seen enough of Vaughn, Sheets and Eloy in the OF. Colas should be put in RF and never benched ever unless its a super tough LHP out there but even then let him sink or swim. He'll adjust quickly and he should do very well against RHP. We need his defense and arm in RF and his power in the lineup. Who'll be in LF is the question that has to be answered.

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

7 WAR over 6 seasons including 2020 isn't replacement level. It's a below average starter, but it's above replacement level. Replacement level is Adam Engel last year. 

I mean.. I guess if you view a 1.17 WAR player as a guy you don't need to replace, that's on you.  Baseball reference has him at 5.1 WAR (.85 WAR annually) over that same period.  Winker averages .27 to .5 WAR more than Engel over a season (depending on where you find your WAR number.  Is that good? 

2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

Surprising that two guys have the Sox dealing Giolitio and adding starting pitching.

How bearish do you have to be on Lucas to want to swap him for a 1 year vet that you have no control over and don't get a comp pick if you lose them? 

It makes no sense. Sox will trade him pennies on the dollar and Gio will be a 4 WAR SP in 2023 because the dude wants to get paid. 

• Like 1