Sox may have trade interest in Rays 2B/OF Brandon Lowe

knightni

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I think it is more the deadline to add players to the 40 man roster that Tampa is worried about.

Ah, I thought that was later. Yes, okay then I definitely think Josh from Soxmachine is just indicating he thinks sox should do what they can to get lowe by this roster crunch.

12 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He will be 23, with 19 innings and 35 innings in 2021 and 2022.  How are these "silly reasons"?

Because he's an incredibly talented arm that the Sox signed knowing his age, knowing he'd have to ramp up in the DSL. Even last year, he was still league appropriate age for the levels he pitched. He had an injury, got to the mound, and then the Sox kept him on an innings limit and he still mowed batters down.

He'll be in Birmingham at 23-years-old, which is age appropriate for a high level prospect.

It's not like a 28-year-old, iron gloved Yermin Mercedes having a hot month and suddenly everyone penciling him in as a core piece.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Ah, I thought that was later. Yes, okay then I definitely think Josh from Soxmachine is just indicating he thinks sox should do what they can to get lowe by this roster crunch.

Yeah, the Rays I guess have been in "advanced trade negotiations (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/rays-notes-40-man-roster-trades-choi-kiermaier.html) so they'll probably make a few trades between now and the deadline (whatever time that is tomorrow).

Everyone mentioning 1 for 1 trades with the Rays where the Sox give up talent that the Rays need to place on their 40 man makes very little sense to me.

If the goal for the Rays is to clear space on their 40 man,  and receive 40 man talent in return, they are likely looking to trade multiple players for 1 player.  In the vacuum that the Sox are receiving multiple players off of the Rays 40 man, in exchange for only 1 player... that really limits who they can give up.  The list is very short.

It is more likely the Rays look to trade for prospects that do not require protection, of which the Sox have arguably the worst/least in baseball.  It has been written in multiple places that the Sox have a bottom 5 system that is also somehow top-heavy.  

The Sox aren't the only team needing a 2B, in a market with very few FA options, where the entire league is trying to get more left handed.... seems like the chances are slim that they provide the best match for TB regardless of how badly Sox Internet wants to will this into existence.   

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I believe he can.

I think it's "guy can be traded after the World Series" but the only articles I'm finding are from back in 2015 when it was changed last, so I couldn't be sure that nothing snuck into the last CBA to change that. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Everyone mentioning 1 for 1 trades with the Rays where the Sox give up talent that the Rays need to place on their 40 man makes very little sense to me.

If the goal for the Rays is to clear space on their 40 man,  and receive 40 man talent in return, they are likely looking to trade multiple players for 1 player.  In the vacuum that the Sox are receiving multiple players off of the Rays 40 man, in exchange for only 1 player... that really limits who they can give up.  The list is very short.

It is more likely the Rays look to trade for prospects that do not require protection, of which the Sox have arguably the worst/least in baseball.  It has been written in multiple places that the Sox have a bottom 5 system that is also somehow top-heavy.  

The Sox aren't the only team needing a 2B, in a market with very few FA options, where the entire league is trying to get more left handed.... seems like the chances are slim that they provide the best match for TB regardless of how badly Sox Internet wants to will this into existence.   

A deal that makes sense for the Rays would included young talent a long way from the 40 man roster.  Guys who were just drafted or pretty young in LA signings would be perfect.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it's "guy can be traded after the World Series" but the only articles I'm finding are from back in 2015 when it was changed last, so I couldn't be sure that nothing snuck into the last CBA to change that. 

Yeah, I think Swanson was a PTBNL during the season he was drafted. But I’m going off memory so I might be wrong.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A deal that makes sense for the Rays would included young talent a long way from the 40 man roster.  Guys who were just drafted or pretty young in LA signings would be perfect.

Right, that is what my post essentially says.

But the Sox have fewest amount of these guys, or at the very least, can least afford to trade them.  Every other club just drafted players and signed international kids as well.

10 players with more than 1.7 WAR at 2B in 2022.  A third of the league is in the market for a second baseman.  30 teams are looking to add LH depth.  

This feels like a perfect match for half of the league and the Rays are shopping for what the Sox don't have.  

Edited by GREEDY

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Right, that is what my post essentially says.

But the Sox have fewest amount of these guys, or at the very least, can least afford to trade them.  Every other club just drafted players and signed international kids as well.

10 players with more than 1.7 WAR at 2B in 2022.  A third of the league is in the market for a second baseman.  30 teams are looking to add LH depth.  

This feels like a perfect match for half of the league and the Rays are shopping for what the Sox don't have.  

If the White Sox are willing to trade guys they drafted last year or signed recently, that could be a big help to the Rays, and we know the White Sox have a history of being willing to do that (maybe not with first round picks, but anybody else yes).

10 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yeah, I think Swanson was a PTBNL during the season he was drafted. But I’m going off memory so I might be wrong.

I think it was him or Trea Turner that caused the rule change.  It used to be that you could use the PTBNL to sneak a draftee into a deadline trade.  This changed that.  A draftee can't be involved in a trade until after the World Series.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox are willing to trade guys they drafted last year or signed recently, that could be a big help to the Rays, and we know the White Sox have a history of being willing to do that (maybe not with first round picks, but anybody else yes).

Sure.

Doesn't a perceived willingness to trade those guys get offset by the fact that the Sox might have literally the worst non-40 man organizational depth out of 30 teams?  And seemingly should be reluctant to deal from that weakness?

Like at worst that has to be a wash, right? 

Just trying to temper expectations, feels like this can't be likely, even in the event the Rays trade Lowe?  

Edited by GREEDY

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I wish his phrasing was less ambiguous. I can't tell if he has Intel or if this is just a move he feels the Sox should make. I'm leaning towards the latter.

I bet it was calculated.

If it happens, he is on his way to Gold Fake Insider status.  If it doesn't happen he just was posting what Hahn should have done.  

• Like 1