Sox Sign Jake Marisnick to minor league deal, NRI

Heads22

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

It depends on what their contracts say.  They are all milb guys, so no they don't have to be on the 40 man.  They likely have opt out dates if they haven't been added to the active roster.  Hamilton and Marisnick almost certainly will.  Reyes maybe not since he doesn't have much of a track record. 

Hamilton spent most of last year in the minors, batting .188/.264/.229.  I don't think he's really in the position to dictate terms. If he opts out on May 1, it's not like other teams are going to be lining up to put him on their major league roster, so he might as well stick with the organization that has chronic OF depth issues.

1 minute ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Hamilton spent most of last year in the minors, batting .188/.264/.229.  I don't think he's really in the position to dictate terms. If he opts out on May 1, it's not like other teams are going to be lining up to put him on their major league roster, so he might as well stick with the organization that has chronic OF depth issues.

Ordinarily I wouldn't care too much about Hamilton, but I wonder with the new base running rules, new bases, and new defensive rules, maybe his value without his bat goes way up.  Especially if we have a manager that is skilled enough to take advantage of it.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

He opted out of his milb with the Mariners just last year, so yah…pretty sure he’ll have an opt out. Doesn’t mean he has to use it. 

• 2 weeks later...

didn't know this happened, very pleased. Not sure he's even lost anythign defensively, looks like it's just less opportunities since his heyday.

Downside of Engel was always his arm. Not my biggest care (would prefer they get to the ball), but considering the scenarios at end of games, you don't want players to get so easily from 1st to third. or taking second on stupid throws.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

didn't know this happened, very pleased. Not sure he's even lost anythign defensively, looks like it's just less opportunities since his heyday.

Downside of Engel was always his arm. Not my biggest care (would prefer they get to the ball), but considering the scenarios at end of games, you don't want players to get so easily from 1st to third. or taking second on stupid throws.

That's why you need to check Soxtalk daily....so you don't miss these things.