2023-24 NFL Season Thread

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Not me. Just read the reports out of Pittsburgh. Did you see the press conference with Tomlin?

I think it would be extremely interesting to see what a Tomlin staff looks like outside of Pit. The nice thing about the pittsburgh job is they are probably 1.1 (maybe just ahead of the packers) of the entire org creating an environment for the coaches and players to succeed. They don't ask for a herculean job of one person creating the whole football operation like the bears often do.

But it has also meant being very conservative with coaching changes and he inherited a lot. He's been super loyal. If he starts fresh...does he get pick of the litter of coordinators who are that tier of very good coordinators but unlikely HC material going to probably one of the most stable HCs around?

I still think he's a great coach. I don't know how many other coaches could get a winning team out of 2023 Mitch/Pickett and Rudolph, and add to that their oline just has not found the answers in years.

6 hours ago, Tony said:

What an embarrassing performance from Philly.Ā 

I shared the experience of others asking for examples of a collapse this strong before...and what I found funny was responses of just how many similar examples there were that I completely forgot. Boy...did I not really remember the cardinals being 10-1 and finishing 11-6 and losing first round. Turns out it was...3 years ago ha.

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

I shared the experience of others asking for examples of a collapse this strong before...and what I found funny was responses of just how many similar examples there were that I completely forgot. Boy...did I not really remember the cardinals being 10-1 and finishing 11-6 and losing first round. Turns out it was...3 years ago ha.

Last season they finished so sharp, they were just scoring at will and the defense was swarming. Ā This season every time I saw highlights in the last 6 games all I saw was Hurts looking unsure of himself and the defense getting lit up

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it would be extremely interesting to see what a Tomlin staff looks like outside of Pit. The nice thing about the pittsburgh job is they are probably 1.1 (maybe just ahead of the packers) of the entire org creating an environment for the coaches and players to succeed. They don't ask for a herculean job of one person creating the whole football operation like the bears often do.

But it has also meant being very conservative with coaching changes and he inherited a lot. He's been super loyal. If he starts fresh...does he get pick of the litter of coordinators who are that tier of very good coordinators but unlikely HC material going to probably one of the most stable HCs around?

I still think he's a great coach. I don't know how many other coaches could get a winning team out of 2023 Mitch/Pickett and Rudolph, and add to that their oline just has not found the answers in years.

I agree. It just seems that the fans at least are ready for a change.Ā 

He would be a great coach to have and with all of the openings, it maybe a good time for him.

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

They are going to fire their coach too. Maybe Poles was smart cause If Eagles and Cowboys open up that is a massive number of openings.Ā 

You could always hire someone before anyone else gets a chance

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

The steelers did this as well in Rothlesbergersast year. They started out 11-0 then lost to Cleveland in the last game of the seasonĀ  and the first game of the playoffsĀ 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Last season they finished so sharp, they were just scoring at will and the defense was swarming. Ā This season every time I saw highlights in the last 6 games all I saw was Hurts looking unsure of himself and the defense getting lit up

Not sure I've ever seen a coach more propped up by their coordinators, absolutely wild.Ā 

Would be extremely funny to see Brian Johnson still get the Panthers job lol.

I feel like last night was a situation where the eagles scouts didn't feel the need to tell Sirianni and Johnson that Todd Bowles blitzed a lot because they assumed they knew and poor Nick and Brian did not.

Lastly

Jason Licht is an amazing GM. Tampa has been so rewarded by keeping that dude even as he navigated multiple coaches and a botched QB pick at 1.1 because he can just find talent at will.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Dolphins the last two yearsā€¦

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Lastly

Jason Licht is an amazing GM. Tampa has been so rewarded by keeping that dude even as he navigated multiple coaches and a botched QB pick at 1.1 because he can just find talent at will.

Cleveland giving up on Mayfield one year early for Watson an all-time bonehead decisionā€¦chose Stefanski over their QB and judged him largely on a season he was never close to 100% health-wise but gutted it out. Ā Watson just sat the bench in similar circumstances Baker would have tried to battle through for his teammates..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cleveland giving up on Mayfield one year early for Watson an all-time bonehead decisionā€¦chose Stefanski over their QB and judged him largely on a season he was never close to 100% health-wise but gutted it out. Ā Watson just sat the bench in similar circumstances Baker would have tried to battle through for his teammates..

Thatā€™s a bit revisionist, Cleveland had every right to bail with how he played(choosing Watson is a completely different conversation). Ā This is a nice comeback year for Baker but it does not seem to be consistent with his careerĀ 

IMG_3145.jpeg

59 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not sure I've ever seen a coach more propped up by their coordinators, absolutely wild.Ā 

Would be extremely funny to see Brian Johnson still get the Panthers job lol.

This made me think of this post I saw last nightĀ 

Ā 

IMG_3146.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Thatā€™s a bit revisionist, Cleveland had every right to bail with how he played(choosing Watson is a completely different conversation). Ā This is a nice comeback year for Baker but it does not seem to be consistent with his careerĀ 

IMG_3145.jpeg

The speculation about the severity of Browns quarterback Baker Mayfieldā€™s injuredĀ shoulderĀ just amped up to another level. FOX Sportsā€™ Jay Glazer reports that Mayfield has a fractured humerus bone in his left arm in addition to the torn labrum on the left (non-throwing) shoulder.

10-21-2021

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The speculation about the severity of Browns quarterback Baker Mayfieldā€™s injuredĀ shoulderĀ just amped up to another level. FOX Sportsā€™ Jay Glazer reports that Mayfield has a fractured humerus bone in his left arm in addition to the torn labrum on the left (non-throwing) shoulder.

10-21-2021

šŸ‘ he throws the ball to the other team a lot and always has. Ā If you think he is about to become the man, more power to you. Ā I think he had a good season and likely will fall back to his normal self next seasonĀ 

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

10-21-2021

Lmao if this dude becomes the next Brees

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

šŸ‘ he throws the ball to the other team a lot and always has. Ā If you think he is about to become the man, more power to you. Ā I think he had a good season and likely will fall back to his normal self next seasonĀ 

Because the OU system has always pushed that gunslinging, let ā€˜er rip downfield philosophyā€¦

worked with all of them but Spencer Rattler

21:44Ā Ā  Ā OTĀ Ā  Ā 100Ā Ā  Ā 
Projected future RUGBY star
REES-ZAMMIT LEAVES sport TO PURSUE AN NFL CAREER

skysports

922 likes
skysports Louis Rees-Zammit has announced he is to join the NFL's international player pathway
programme this month and will depart Gloucester and Wales Rugby.
Gloucester confirmed the immediate release of Rees-Zammit from his contract, with the player announcing the move mere minutes before...

Edited by caulfield12

I wonder if we are about to enter a new trend for hiring in the NFL. The overwhelming strength of this coaching cycle is defensive coaches. Belicheck, Vrabel, Quinn, Flores all are guys with previous HC experience and successful at that. Add to that Mike McDonald may be the hottest DC candidate in a while. Raheem Morris has been extremely deserving of another stint for years.

Meanwhile, this year we see a whole lot more creativity in defensive fronts stifling offenses. Whereas we had a 5 year run of "get an offensive mind and have them run a 2-high shell defense", Flores and McDonald have shown much more adaptability in schemes that offenses have failed to counter.

Defensive coaches inĀ  Demeco Ryans, Bowles and Gannon all were successful in finding strong OC candidates, to the point that maybe there has been enough training under Shanahan and McVay systems proliferating, that maybe the set-up of "grab one of these strong defensive minds and have them run a version of the shanahan WCO" will work much better than when the Reid/Shanahan/McVay offenses were destroying the league and defensive coaches were struggling to find personnel to run modern offenses.

I mean look where you can grab from now. Zac Taylor looked like he was all fluff until this year behind a backup QB they were still dominating on offense. Now his OC is getting HC looks. Tampa has a hot offense under Dave Canales. Baltimore has a hot offense with Todd Monken. Seattle has built out a strong offense that has disciples flourishing. San Fran and LA obviously. Buffalo has a strong offense with offensive minds to pull from.

There is now more than one way to bake this cake, and a heck of a lot more experience from defensive coaches than the offensive ones.

• Thanks 1

Because I am a man of the people and I am hiding in this thread because the white sox are too painfulĀ 

Dane Bruglers mock is out.

The painful? AFter the bears take Caleb Williams 1.1, Marvin Harrison, Malik Nabers, Brock Bowers and Rome Odunze go 3, 4, 5, 6.

He has the bears taking Dallas Turner at 9. I think this will be a popular pick in mock drafters. I personally believe there is zero chance it happens at 9.Ā 

If this is the board, either we take Fashanu/Alt (Fashanu is available in this case), or we trade back and get more capital. I don't see much of a difference between Turner/Latu/Verse in draft grades. I'd rather take Fashanu or trade back and take Brian Thomas (he is taken 17th).

Other things of note: Jer'Zhan newton goes 28th, so he may be not the top ten rumor people had of him.

Penix went 44th, McCarthy top 20.

Ladd McConkey went mid-2nd.Ā 

Personally, I'd be ok if we somehow got a 2nd, found that Tee Higgins became available, and drafted McConkey.

Having 2 vet wideouts with a route master like McConkey as a slot would be perfect for a vet QB.Ā 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Because I am a man of the people and I am hiding in this thread because the white sox are too painfulĀ 

Dane Bruglers mock is out.

The painful? AFter the bears take Caleb Williams 1.1, Marvin Harrison, Malik Nabers, Brock Bowers and Rome Odunze go 3, 4, 5, 6.

He has the bears taking Dallas Turner at 9. I think this will be a popular pick in mock drafters. I personally believe there is zero chance it happens at 9.Ā 

If this is the board, either we take Fashanu/Alt (Fashanu is available in this case), or we trade back and get more capital. I don't see much of a difference between Turner/Latu/Verse in draft grades. I'd rather take Fashanu or trade back and take Brian Thomas (he is taken 17th).

Other things of note: Jer'Zhan newton goes 28th, so he may be not the top ten rumor people had of him.

Penix went 44th, McCarthy top 20.

Ladd McConkey went mid-2nd.Ā 

Personally, I'd be ok if we somehow got a 2nd, found that Tee Higgins became available, and drafted McConkey.

Having 2 vet wideouts with a route master like McConkey as a slot would be perfect for a vet QB.Ā 

I know how these Mocks work, so yeah not expecting multiple teams to pass on a QB, but worth asking - where did Maye go?