The Pedro Hire

Tomtom

9 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Just read this on the official White Sox site:

White Sox lose third straight, hold clubhouse meeting (mlb.com)

If yesterday was how they react to Grifol giving them a behind closed doors talking to then the players clearly don't care and aren't playing for him.

Meanwhile, Luis Robert continues to be far and away the most valuable position player on the team... and the only one with really decent OPS numbers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Meanwhile, Luis Robert continues to be far and away the most valuable position player on the team... and the only one with really decent OPS numbers. 

Burger is at .924 but hasn’t played as much as Robert. With Moncada back Burger when he returns has to be the primary DH with some platooning from Sheets, at least until Yoan winds up on the IL again.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Too bad Bill Veeck isn't owner. He'd realize this team is an abdomination and would do something interesting to at least make it worth watching.

That said ... of course Pedro should be fired. Season is over so let Ozzie finish out the year; if he says anything outrageous just send him back to TV and bring in Stoney or Beckham from TV. But Pedro should go. Of course he should. There's nothing to lose with letting Ozzie be interim. Like I said the season is over and let him do his thing minus the offensive statements.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Too bad Bill Veeck isn't owner. He'd realize this team is an abdomination and would do something interesting to at least make it worth watching.

That said ... of course Pedro should be fired. Season is over so let Ozzie finish out the year; if he says anything outrageous just send him back to TV and bring in Stoney or Beckham from TV. But Pedro should go. Of course he should. There's nothing to lose with letting Ozzie be interim. Like I said the season is over and let him do his thing minus the offensive statements.

JR only wishes he had the talent that Bill Veeck had. Those Bill Veeck days make me smile.

• Fire 1

For the record, I originally hated the hiring of Pedro Grifol as I thought a guy a bottom tier organization passed over for their own job told me all I needed to know.  Then at his press conference he said all the right things and hired a semi interesting staff.  I convinced myself that maybe he was going to be a good fit.  It’s as clear as day now, though despite a horribly flawed roster, Grifol is not the man fit for the job.  This team has quit and there doesn’t seem to be anything he can do to right the ship.  I guess that’s what you get when go cheap and end up with an inexperienced guy despite being in the “middle” of your competitive window.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For the record, I originally hated the hiring of Pedro Grifol as I thought a guy a bottom tier organization passed over for their own job told me all I needed to know.  Then at his press conference he said all the right things and hired a semi interesting staff.  I convinced myself that maybe he was going to be a good fit.  It’s as clear as day now, though despite a horribly flawed roster, Grifol is not the man fit for the job.  This team has quit and there doesn’t seem to be anything he can do to right the ship.  I guess that’s what you get when go cheap and end up with an inexperienced guy despite being in the “middle” of your competitive window.

I was less than impressed with the hire too, but he did talk a really good game at the presser and afterward.  Couldn’t be more obvious to me now that he’s in over his head. Whether he has already lost the team or he never really got the needed buy in, who knows.  But he seems pretty powerless to do anything to stop the free fall. 

• Like 3

I had a horrible thought today—They should have hired Ozzie. In his first stint, he identified guys like Carlos Lee who were not winning players. They need someone to do that now. Keep people who have a competitive spirit, dump the rest.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, greg775 said:

There’s not much player wise Veeck could do in this day and age that he could back when he was owner, too many long term big dollar contracts.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

There’s not much player wise Veeck could do in this day and age that he could back when he was owner, too many long term big dollar contracts.

Yeah, but you have to admit it would be pretty amazing if Veeck would have had access to the internet

• Fire 1