The Pedro Hire

Tomtom

I have been far from impressed with Pedro so far, but what is the guy supposed to do when his pen has been this bad?  We're missing arguably 3 of our best 5 relievers.  The pen is only 8 deep and currently includes Jake Diekman, Tanner Banks, Keynan Middleton, Gregory Santos and Jimmy Lambert as 65% of it.  The only proven big league arms in the pen are Bummer, Graveman and ReyLo, and they haven't exactly been good either.  Its a really tough spot.  The pen is so much better once you add in Hendriks, Crochet and Kelly.  Jimmy Lambert and one of those other guys should be options 7 and 8 in the pen, not 4 and 5.  Its real a problem that the best manager in the game couldn't solve.  And Bummer just needs to be so much better.    

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I have my serious doubts on whether Pedro will be a good manager or not. I am not giving up on him, but so far I'm not impressed. I realize he doesn't have the best roster to work with, but he has made some managerial mistakes so far.

Hahn should have been able to find a more successful manager than Pedro with a strong winning track record and results. Taking a lifetime baseball coach is risky. Not all first time managers make it or are successful. Maybe Pedro is just a super nice guy who built great relationships but really isn't a good leader or strategic manager. In other words maybe its' the "peter principle" for Pedro.

I do know that the Mets GM figured it out when he hired an experienced winning manager in Buck Showalter two years ago. Prior to Buck the previous four managers in the prior 20 years had 4 winning seasons. In fact the prior two years in 2020-21, Luis Rojas was 103-119 and then fired. Showalter comes in 2022 with a lot the same players and went 101-61 and is now 10-6 thus far for a two record of 111-62. Then again, this is Buck's 5th team and has never had a losing record at any of them. In fact, several of the teams he took over were losers until he came in. Hence why he has won 4 Manager of the Year awards. 

Leave to Jerry and Rick, they sure do know how to pick good managers, besides all the other areas that they excel at.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fathom said:

People are nuts if they thought this losing organization would hire someone that would shake things up

We were all shocked that Pedro was even available. How did KC overlook him when he was right there in the dugout.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Was excited at first given his reputation (George Brett's comments) but we are seeing the same garbage as before, giving guys time off when they just recently had a team off day or would be getting a team day shortly, bad bullpen decisions, not knowing when to pull a starter and then doubling down on his decisions talking to the media a la TLR. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomtom said:

Was Pedro Hired by JR because he wanted someone with experience being on a perennial losing team?  

They were never going to go with an experienced outside hire, especially if it made TLR look bad.  Grifol was a legit managerial candidate, but was likely chosen because he wouldn’t rock the boat too much. 

• Like 1

Pedro hasn’t been good don’t get me wrong, but when half your squad is always injuries, it’s hard to be successful.  He’s made some mistakes early in his tenure but he only has so much to work with.  He doesn’t get a pass, but this isn’t all on him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Pedro hasn’t been good don’t get me wrong, but when half your squad is always injuries, it’s hard to be successful.  He’s made some mistakes early in his tenure but he only has so much to work with.  He doesn’t get a pass, but this isn’t all on him. 

I'd agree with this belief.

17 hours ago, pcq said:

We were all shocked that Pedro was even available. How did KC overlook him when he was right there in the dugout.

That's the point...he was right there and KC didn't want him. To a sharp GM that should have been a huge warning sign not to hire Pedro. KC didn't want Pedro even though he had been there for years. Instead KC went to the outside and hired Matt Quatraro, the bench coach from Tampa Bay. Hahn instead knew better and didn't question that and hired Pedro from a team that was 65-97 last year and haven't had a winning season since 2016. Rick Hahn evidently didn't care that KC didn't hire their own long time coach Pedro. KC wanted to stop the continual losing seasons and wanted Quatraro from the successful Rays who are an obvious consistent winning baseball team and culture.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This is true and it's more about the horrible roster Hahn gave him. However I still don't like some of Pedro's bullpen decisions, lineups or resting certain players so early in the season at critical games. There is huge room for improvement from Pedro. 

Right now he’s a small part of the problem, if the bullpen had done its job and held on to some leads where we might be 9-7, we would probably be calling him a genius. Injuries are still a problem and who would have thought we would be looking at AV and Eloy without a home run after 16 games. JR and Hahn are the biggest culprits in this mess. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 4

A team full of healthy, talented players could be bad if they had a bad manager.  A team, like the current Sox team, with some talent, young players, a few veterans, plenty of injuries, and a poor bullpen could be decent to good with a great manager.  They could also really stink with a bad manager.

I don't think everything we've seen so far is on Grifol.  He's made a few good moves with the bullpen, and he's made some head-scratchers.  Lineups have been okay...better than LaRussa's.  In-game decision making has been hit and miss.

I think Grifol is really being challenged right now with how the team is performing.  It's not his fault Bummer can't find the strike zone, nor is it his fault the same made-of-glass players are getting hurt.  But going to Diekman repeatedly is a bad decision, as is playing Hanser as often as he has.

I'm willing to give him a chance.  If he can steer this sinking ship to port safely, he'll be a good manager.  But, damn, there's storm after storm in his path with this team.

Isn't it enough the team has made most of these unproven players multi millionaires? Does the manager have to handle them like fragile flowers. What ever happened to a hard ass manager? Maybe a Joe Gerardi or Ozzie Guillen type. Produce or sit. You sit you don't get your precious stats. You're hurt again? You go on the 60day dl. See how that affects your star status.

5 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

Isn't it enough the team has made most of these unproven players multi millionaires? Does the manager have to handle them like fragile flowers. What ever happened to a hard ass manager? Maybe a Joe Gerardi or Ozzie Guillen type. Produce or sit. You sit you don't get your precious stats. You're hurt again? You go on the 60day dl. See how that affects your star status.

The hard ass manager guys like Al Lopez, Eddie Stanky and Chuck Tanner for example lost their hammer over guys when they were given contracts worth multi-millions of dollars.

Before, like you said, if you don't produce you were headed to the bench (Stanky would fine guys for not moving runners over into scoring position, not getting guys home from third base with less than two outs and for not being able to execute fundamentals. He'd also buy a new suit of clothes for any starting pitcher who threw a complete game with a certain number of ground ball outs and a new pair of shoes for every stolen base)

Those former Sox managers must all be turning over in their graves when they see how "baseball-stupid" this organization has become. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

"Hard to be successful" and "only has so much to work with"? How can that be as this is our championship window!

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 3

I'd never blame Pedro for this. Like many have said, no manager could ever win squat with this bullpen. I think the fair thing to do is feel sorry for Pedro and support him cause cmon there's nobody who could win with this roster coupled with either brittle players or an awful training staff (injuries).

This team is put together so badly maybe even Ozzie and AJ wouldn't want this job lol. Why would you want to manage this roster? Destined to fail. So hail to Pedro for trying.

36 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

27 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The hard ass manager guys like Al Lopez, Eddie Stanky and Chuck Tanner for example lost their hammer over guys when they were given contracts worth multi-millions of dollars.

Before, like you said, if you don't produce you were headed to the bench (Stanky would fine guys for not moving runners over into scoring position, not getting guys home from third base with less than two outs and for not being able to execute fundamentals. He'd also buy a new suit of clothes for any starting pitcher who threw a complete game with a certain number of ground ball outs and a new pair of shoes for every stolen base)

Those former Sox managers must all be turning over in their graves when they see how "baseball-stupid" this organization has become. 

I guess I'm just venting. Like everyone on this site I'm frustrated. I realize times change. I still believe, however, young men respond to discipline. They need and want to be led. So if they don't respond and we finish 4th or 5th, what's the difference from finishing third?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

I guess I'm just venting. Like everyone on this site I'm frustrated. I realize times change. I still believe, however, young men respond to discipline. They need and want to be led. So if they don't respond and we finish 4th or 5th, what's the difference from finishing third?

I feel like we've become the Orioles during that long stretch of years where they knew after two weeks they were out of it. I'd say the Royals, but our players are more well known than KC's. Most managers don't apply 'discipline' nowadays. Players won't stand for it. Pedro is just another guy but I'm willing to give him a chance. He has to be scared to death though knowing there's a great chance they can lose every time they take the field cause of what will happen in the last four innings with this pen. Yikes.