White Sox Trade

WBWSF

16 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They already play sloppy baseball so might as well score more runs out of it.

I'd put Jake at 2B instead of Moncada. 2B is an easier position, I'm surprised they never tried Jake out at second in AAA

actually I'm not surprised at all

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

I'd put Jake at 2B instead of Moncada. 2B is an easier position, I'm surprised they never tried Jake out at second in AAA

actually I'm not surprised at all

He got in a handful of games at second between 21 and 22, but the idea seems like it was abandoned rather quickly. 

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Where did this idea that 2B is easier come from?

I've never heard anyone ever say a guy isn't good enough to play 2B, ive seen guys moved over to 2b from other IF spots though when their glove or range didn't play elsewhere

idk, if 2b is the harder position then I guess that's the first I've heard it, doesn't mean it isn't true, guess I got smarter today

edit: I guess it comes down to the player, are they more capable with range, or are they a strong thrower. burger probably sucks at 2b because he's wearing cinder blocks on his feet but has a decent arm

Edited by joejoesox

I've always been under the impression that you have your best infielder at SS, then your second best at 2B. At 3B you just need to have good hands / a quick first jump (but not necessarily as much range as 2B / SS) and a strong arm.
At 1B you need a good bat.

...obviously my above post is an oversimplification, but my key point is this:

Jake Burger playing 2B should be considered a "break glass in case of emergency because the actual emergency backup 2Bman got stuck in traffic on the way to the ballpark from the airport where his plane from Charlotte just landed, and Dylan Cease is on the mound so he can't play the field so you're it, Jake" option.

• Like 1

Burger doesn't have enough lateral quickness/quick twitch reflexes for third... he certainly doesn't have the range and burst for second. 

Doesn't matter about his arm. 

He's also going to be in a world of hurt turning double plays and throwing across/against his body because he's lacking in overall athleticism. 

Jumping over base runners and/or deftly side-stepping them? 

No no no... can't do it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, joejoesox said:

I've never heard anyone ever say a guy isn't good enough to play 2B, ive seen guys moved over to 2b from other IF spots though when their glove or range didn't play elsewhere

idk, if 2b is the harder position then I guess that's the first I've heard it, doesn't mean it isn't true, guess I got smarter today

edit: I guess it comes down to the player, are they more capable with range, or are they a strong thrower. burger probably sucks at 2b because he's wearing cinder blocks on his feet but has a decent arm

And there goes another double down the line as Jake comes up in a cloud of dust but no ball.

It's not called the Hot corner because it's easy. Granted 2B has to worry about more things, but you need quick reactions and a glove to play 3B.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
add

34 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

And there goes another double down the line as Jake comes up in a cloud of dust but no ball.

It's not called the Hot corner because it's easy. Granted 2B has to worry about more things, but you need quick reactions and a glove to play 3B.

A second baseman handles a lot more plays, so teams typically have put superior and more agile defenders there and guys like Burger at third. That’s why third has generally been considered a power position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Burger doesn't have enough lateral quickness/quick twitch reflexes for third... he certainly doesn't have the range and burst for second. 

He's also going to be in a world of hurt turning double plays and throwing across/against his body because he's lacking in overall athleticism. 

No no no... can't do it. 

I don’t often agree with caulfield, but when I do, it’s this post. Obviously playing third isn’t exactly easy either. Baseball is hard

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

No no no... can't do it. 

Burger started a successful double play in the Baltimore 10 inning game win. I believe he did not go through a "world of hurt" turning it.

Regardless of how good or bad Burger is as a third baseman, I am confident his bat will win a lot more games, than his fielding will lose games.

The fact is Moncada was brought here to play 2nd. He can play second! If the both of them make more errors between 2nd and 3rd so be it. If Moncada is as good of a hitter as the "pro camp" in this forum feels he is, then Moncada hitting and Burger hitting combined should win more games from their hitting, than both of their errors will lose games for the Sox.